Author Topic: Razor of choice? Straight? Safety? Electric?  (Read 6393 times)

Offline Nikki

• Sly Jr.
  • No Hair,Don't Care. I'm Bald and Beautiful!
Razor of choice? Straight? Safety? Electric?
« on: July 21, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »
I've always wanted to know what men look for in a razor. What do you prefer to use? I find straight razors to be cool,in an old fashioned kind of way,even though I'd never use it on my head.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
Re: Razor of choice? Straight? Safety? Electric?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 11:09:06 PM »
I prefer any razor that will make my head BBS and not cause cuts.  I've found razors like Mach 3 and Fusion Proglide that do the job as well as DE safety razors (depending on the blade used). I wish I could use a straight razor on my head but had a bad experience with it one time and cut myself even being careful not to.

Offline Aussie Sly Guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Sly Since March 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 04:13:28 AM »
At the moment I use a DE on the face and fusion on the head. I need more practice with the DE on the head before using it exclusively.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 11:05:04 AM »
I've run the gamut (electric, HeadBlade, Mach 3) and now use a Fusion on a daily basis.  When I have extra time in the morning (a rarity), I use a DE on my face and the top and sides of my head.  I haven't gotten good enough to use a DE on the back of my head, so I stay with the Fusion for that.  I've had straight razor shaves, but never tried to do it myself. 

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 02:32:22 PM »
Personna M5 Magnum. Can't find it in the stores anymore so I may have to start looking around soon.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline SlickChromeDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 12:41:35 PM »
Gillette Mach 3 or Mach 3 sensitive are my favorites. I occasionally shave with my DE Edwin Jagger and use feather blades. I find the DE is very hard for me to get the hang of ATG on the back of my head.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »
Merkur Progress DE is at the top of my list right now, with my Fatboy and R41 not far behind.  I've been practicing on the face with a Parker SR1 shavette style razor, but it'll probably be another month or so before I'm comfortable trying it on my head.

Offline bald.metalhead

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 03:55:28 PM »
I actually just use Wilkinson sword razors. I can get them in packs of 4 for a little over a dollar at Walmart. About 5-6 bucks for razors and a 3.00  can of shaving gel lasts me all month

Offline baldbob

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 06:19:54 PM »
I go back and forth between my Panasonic Arc-3 electric and the Wilkinson Sword disposables at Walmart that metalhead mentioned. These disposables do a surprisingly good job and they're cheap. I buy a package of 12 for a little less than $3 ...plus the $3 can of shave gel and Shave Secret. I get a BBS shave every time.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 04:05:04 AM »
I happen to be a straight razor shaver. I use either a dovo classic or a feather artist club dx when Iam at home when I travel I use a head blade.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 06:14:07 AM »
Tried various over the 2 years i have been shaving my noggin. Really prefer the Mach 3 now.

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 05:45:54 AM »
My personal choice would be a straight razor (if only I knew how to use one properly & with confidence!), however, I kind of gravitate either to the Gillette Mach 3 Fusion or a Head-Blade at the present time.

I have used an electric shaver & battery shavers before but can never quite get as smooth as a blade in my estimation.
BaldBill

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 10:04:26 AM »
For me its the head blade sport, I just get the best shave ever and head slick..

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 10:05:21 AM »
Although I am about to treat myself to a safety razor shave in 5 minutes.

Offline Tom Ford

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 11:08:17 PM »
I shave my face with a straight, and also use a DE razor.  I first shaved my head with a DE razor before I invested in a HeadBlade. I wouldn't use a straight along the back of my head, far too dangerous without being able to see what you're doing!  But if you were to practice often and get a feel for it, I'm sure you could.

For ease and quick shaving times, I find the HeadBlade is the winner.