Author Topic: Worried about shaving my hair.  (Read 6043 times)

Offline riccyvies

• Learning the way of Sly
Worried about shaving my hair.
« on: July 07, 2015, 08:27:24 PM »
So recently I've been thinking about shaving my hair very short (Not quite bald) I've always had medium length hair and wanted to try it very short for once. I have a couple of worries though, mainly being my head shape and how my jaw is, the second worry is my hairline and how the hair might appear thinner after shaving my hair. If I pull my hair back I try to imagine how it would look if I were to shave my hair, but I'm worried that when it does get all shaved off that the temples might appear lighter where as the middle is darker and making me look more like i'm losing hair, then people will think I've shaved my hair for that reason.

This is how my hairline is now.

This is my hairline a few years ago and the image next to that is what I fear it may look like after I shave it.

Has anyone been in my position before? Or experienced a shock after shaving your hair to see that it looks a lot more receded or thin than it was?

The best scenario would be to turn out similar to this. Then I can think about going shorter or keeping that style.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:36:39 PM by riccyvies »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Worried about shaving my hair.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:07:36 PM »
What difference does it make what others may or may not think is the reason for your haircut?  Do what you want to do.  No one else's opinion really matters.

Offline riccyvies

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:16:34 PM »
What difference does it make what others may or may not think is the reason for your haircut?  Do what you want to do.  No one else's opinion really matters.

Well it's more a worry of shaving it and then it looking more thinned at the corners as then I will regret cutting it short for now.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 09:40:28 PM »
A little recession at the temples is just a sign of a maturing hairline.  It isn't a big deal.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 10:17:05 PM »
You are really overthinking this!  A little thinning at the temples is normal for all men - even those who never go bald.

It is only a haircut for goodness sake! 

Offline riccyvies

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 10:27:52 PM »
You are really overthinking this!  A little thinning at the temples is normal for all men - even those who never go bald.

It is only a haircut for goodness sake!

Yeah, but it's so much lighter at the temples on the model of the 2nd picture. It's what I'm worried about, getting it shaved then suddenly my temples are so much lighter/thinner than I thought they were.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:51:40 AM »
The guy whose hairline you say is a problem looks totally normal to me.  It looks very natural and even.  So, like the others, I'm not seeing a problem here.

Offline Beadog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 03:42:09 PM »
Shave it and don't look back, or keep wondering. Very few decisions in life are reversible, but this one is a no brainer to me. Six weeks later, you will either be happily "bald by choice", or will have grown all of your hair back.

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 06:05:14 AM »
I wouldn't worry about what others may or may not say. The choice is ultimately yours, mate.
As far as I can see, I think you look pretty normal, so no worries there.

I wasn't losing any hair really when I opted for a shaved head, so I cann't really comment on your situation, What I can say is if you are thinking about it I would definitely do the deed & get that hair cut & your head shaved. You will look great. Don't worry.

I know it is a bit of a leap but you will enjoy the experience. Btw, get a barber to shave your head the first time. Let us know how things go, please. We are here to give you help & support.

Best wishes.
BaldBill

Offline malegroomings

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 12:32:45 PM »
You just have to go for it man. See how you like it and then you will know for the future.

Offline Nyoxios

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 01:38:32 PM »
After a lot of doubting, I just shaved my head.

From the pics, I'd say you have a good head of hair anyway.

But I can tell you this out of experience, once you get the urge to shave it, you'll end up shaving it. At least once.

My only regret is that I didn't start earlier. Shaving it felt like a liberation: From worrying about my hair loss (insecurity) to not having hair to lose (feeling confident being bald) :D

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 09:23:07 AM »
I regret I didn't do it earlier too
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014