Author Topic: Can you have too many products?  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Nikki

• Sly Jr.
  • No Hair,Don't Care. I'm Bald and Beautiful!
Can you have too many products?
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:41:25 AM »
I'm still pretty new to shaving with razors and cream. I'm curious,can you have too many products to try?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Can you have too many products?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 09:35:20 AM »
I'm always trying something new. I like homemade shrubs too. My box from Amazon should be here today, New double edge razor and sandalwood soap.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:46 AM »
I would think not. I'm always trying new products just to see what the end result may be. That's one of the things I enjoy about shaving.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 02:44:04 PM »
I'm curious,can you have too many products to try?

I know some guys are going to shout "BLASPHEMY!" at this, but my opinion is that there is a definite point of product overload. I tried a few razors, soaps, balms and brushes when I first started shaving, but I quickly figured out what really worked best for my routine and determined that continuing to experiment was not worth the expense nor the space all the extra stuff took up in the medicine cabinet.

Don't get me wrong. I had fun with the experimenting/discovering. I just got to a point at which I was good with what I had.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
I think that until you find the shave that works best for you it's going to take amassing a good amount of products.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 02:33:00 AM »
I'm someone who keeps it all pretty simple, i just have a mach 3 razor, shampoo & conditioner, shower gel and beard oil
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 10:27:56 AM »
For me . . . I shave the traditional way by shaving with a safety razor, shaving brush, and shave soap or cream.  The process is so relaxing.  If you have not tried it out you do not know what you are missing.  One thing about this way of shaving is I get to have fun by shaving with many different products.  I love trying out new things.  That is what makes this way of shaving so fun for me.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
  • Lost in the wreckage...
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »
NEVER!!!

Buy lots, try lots - enjoy the shave!!
And donate what you don't like to another shaver to try....

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 07:05:50 AM »
In my opinion yes, though probably because when I were a lad, blokes didn't buy anything more than shaving soap and aftershave. There simply wasn't that many products around. So to me it seems unnecessary to have a cupboard full of lotions and creams... When I started shaving my head, I did try witch hazel and tea tree oil, now all I need is a quality shaving cream and an alum block, splash on some aftershave and I'm done.....

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 08:57:04 AM »
For me I would say that the point where I would start to accumulate too many products would be when I find the particular item that works well for me and then I continue to buy more and more stuff to try to make things even better. I am never going to get a "perfect" shave because, in my opinion, perfect is the enemy of good enough. If my head is smooth and shiny (I like shiny) that is where I have achieved "good enough". If I continue to strive for "perfect", for example a shave that stays smooth for 3 days, I will go overboard.

For example I started off with a Sensor and it did the job well enough but I saw the Head Blade and it looked so cool that I had to have one. Plus it was affiliated with the UFC and I admire the courage of those people so that locked it. I used the HB for several years and started to have some problems with it and somewhere in there I found the Personna M5 Magnum which I still use. Somewhere in there I bought a Panasonic linear which I continue to use as well but in an effort to achieve perfection I bought a double edge safety razor with which I have paid numerous visits to the blood bank. So I continue to use my M5 (and my Panny for in between shaves) but I have this accumulation of things that now collect dust. Same with shave creams, oils, etc.

So, yes, it is more than possible to accumulate excess, I'm living proof. The stopping point would be to find what works and stick with it no matter what. There are always new and innovative products out there that are going to be tempting and sometimes, well, sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes, well, the bear ... he eats you. Kinda lost my train of thought there for a second.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.