Author Topic: "Oops!" became a buzz cut... should I take the next step?  (Read 8824 times)

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
Re: "Oops!" became a buzz cut... should I take the next step?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 12:50:19 PM »
Looks great!
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline wilsun

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 08:19:47 AM »
Hey folks! Hope y'all doin' well.

Unfortunately I've run into a few problems...

1. After three days of razor shaving, I'm getting a bit of razor burn and red bumps/breakouts on my scalp (damn my sensitive skin!). And this is just shaving WTG.

2. I don't know how fast hair is supposed to grow, but by the end of the workday, my stubble is bursting out of my scalp. And because of my sensitive skin, it starts to itch and if I scratch continuously it will get breakouts. I'm also concerned about some ingrown hairs. (Side note: I can't help but rub my head every now and then during the workday... haha, love that smooth, razor shave feel, although it still feels like stubble/sandpaper feeling against the grain)

3. No matter how close I razor shave my head, I will always have a shadow (darn super-dark Asian hair). Despite my nice shiny scalp (LOL) you can still actually see each hair follicle up close. Does thamt look weird? I dunno...

4. How often do you guys razor shave? I think I'm going to have to do it every 2 or 3 days or so, or maybe even just once a week, with clippers in between, just to give my scalp a rest. Does clipper shave still count as sly and/or the 30 day rule?

Thanks folks!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:28:57 AM by wilsun »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 09:17:44 AM »
Sometimes it just takes the scalp a little time to toughen up and get used to the razor.  Shave every couple of days for a while and eventually you should be able to do it more frequently.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 09:31:36 AM »
Wilson, what helped me when I first started shaving was to use my electric foil shaver. It gets very close, but is gentle on the skin. Also get some Bump Patrol.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 09:49:36 AM »
Like Razor said, it can take the scalp a couple of days to toughen up. It also helps to shave in the shower so water can instantly calm what irritation may be present. Unfortunately you'll have a shadow. A lot of us have that since we have dark hair. Nothing to worry about lol. I also have a sandpaper feel by the end of the day too. You're still going to appear bald to everyone even with clippers so I'd still say you're sly.  I shave daily and in the shower most of the time.

Offline SlickChromeDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 09:36:30 PM »
I've been shaving my head (with a razor) for 3 years now. Slightly longer with clippers. I would LOVE to shave everyday because I too like the smooth head. Unfortunately my scalp never 'toughened' up and can only shave every 2-3 days. I think you just need to go a little longer between shaves. I use a pre-shave oil, I change up shaving creams (headblade, creamo cream, beebald, etc) I always start out 1st pass WTG, 2nd pass ATG. followed by witch hazel w/aloe. No more razor burn or bumps. I use Mach 3 carts when I'm pressed for time and Edwin jagger DE w/feather blades when I've got more time.

Offline SlickChromeDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 09:38:19 PM »
And I ALWAYS shave in the shower, better results that way!