Author Topic: "Oops!" became a buzz cut... should I take the next step?  (Read 8776 times)

Offline wilsun

• Learning the way of Sly
Hi guys!

So I've been lurking here for a little while and decided to join in on the community, maybe ask for some advice/encouragement on the next step.

So despite pushing almost into my 40's, I've been blessed with a full head of hair. Among my circles, I'm usually the "guy with the cool hair." I don't know why; I really don't think so but my friends think I'm slightly edgy like that, so be it. Well... three weeks ago I go in for a haircut and unfortunately asked for it way too short... it looked silly. The next day I returned and asked for all of it to be buzzed off. She asked how short, I replied 000. It was a shock at first but I grew to liking it. My friends were shocked as well. They're all like "OMG what did you do to your hair!?" I've just been shrugging it off, saying it's a summer cut. (Pictures of my various hair attached).

Well, after that first week, I wanted it shorter. I began to buzz it myself using a set of clippers, no guard, every few days. I like the look, I like the low maintenance, I love how cool it feels in this hot weather!

Today, I ditched the regular clippers and used my Wahl trimmer and did my entire head. It's probably the closest thing to using a razor. But still it feels like stubble, it still looks like shadow; I wonder how an entire slick bald head feels like. However, I'm concerned about my sensitive skin, ingrown hairs, etc. That and putting a razor to my head!

If I'm serious about it though, I'll go to the barber and have them shave it with a straight razor... I just need to take the plunge! Should I?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:11:26 AM by wilsun »

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
Re: "Oops!" became a buzz cut... should I take the next step?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:34:33 PM »
The last photo looks like you are already there.  Keep to the 30 day rule and you will be hooked.  Looks good.
Roger

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 07:52:50 PM »
Man you rock the bald head! You can go to the barber or do it yourself with the razor and shave cream you use to shave your face. Use a pre-shave oil like Shave Secret or baby oil after you wet your head with warm water. This locks in moisture and helps people with sensitive skin. After that, put the cream on and razor it down. Go in the direction of the hair for the first time to avoid a nasty case of razor burn.  Rinse off with cold water and put an aftershave treatment or lotion on. Many on here use witch hazel but I use Sea Breeze for sensitive skin since I love the smell. Keep us posted on everything and let us know if you need any other pointers.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 10:59:01 PM »
Welcome! I think the sly look fits you well, especially for your profession. But at least you have good enough hair to grow it back out if you so choose.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 04:11:51 AM »
1. You are already essentially BBC (bald by choice). Why not razor shave it.  To return to some other hair style will be about 1-2 days longer if you shave it vs if you don't shave it. Not a big deal. You will get to experience the nice feel of a smooth head.  (pretty addicting).  Note the first few days may not be as smooth as your imagine, until you get the technique down.

2. Bald and EMT go well together.

3. A shaved head IS really cool in the summer.

4. You have a nice shine on top. 

5. To avoid the sandpaper feel you will need to shave your head daily. To avoid the sandpaper look up close, you'll need to shave your head every other day, maybe daily.  But once you get the technique down, it only adds a few minutes to the shower. 

You are so close, it's almost a shame to not shave your head for a month, just to experience the joy.  (30 day rule).

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 07:21:08 AM »
The difference between clipper shaved and a razor blade shave is not noticeable for most observers, except for other sly guys.  The big difference is in the feel and most guys that razor shave are hooked on the feel.  The shadow may not completely disappear with razor shaving.  I do not have a shadow because the hair I have remaining is mostly white now.
SlyBeard

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:01:58 AM »
I like the no-hair look the best of all the photos you posted.  And, as others have mentioned, if, for whatever reason, you dislike it, you'll be back to where you are now in a day or two.  But odds are you'll like it if you like the current look.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 10:10:18 AM »
Hmmm, I wonder if there really was an oops at all, or just an excuse to go bald. Either way, bald looks good on you. Once you shave it smooth, you won't want to feel stubble anymore. That feeling right after you shave is incredible.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 01:27:26 PM »
Welcome to the club. Your last pic looks great! Sly definitely suits you b
Hair is over rated.

Offline wilsun

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 06:29:34 PM »
Wow guys... thanks for the comments!

So I went ahead and had a barber shave my entire head with a straight razor this afternoon. For some reason  the barber shops and salons in my area refuse to do head shaves except for this one high-end shop, which I spent a pretty penny on. But I digress...

Here's the current look. How do I look?

Man, an entire smoothly shaved head feels awesome! And you guys are right, there are a number of sly EMTs out there... one more just joined the ranks.

Starting tomorrow morning, I'm going to follow AJ Q-Ball's pointers... warm water, baby oil, and then use the same shave cream and razor I use on my face. So go with the grain at first, and then against? Finish with cold water and after-shave lotion.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:11:46 AM by wilsun »

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 06:43:49 PM »
Congrats.  And we told you so, haha!

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 06:46:05 PM »
Bald looks good on you!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 07:27:19 PM »
Again man, it looks great! Excellent move on your part. Yes go with the grain. After you finish going with the grain, the only part I'd even think going against the grain on is the front. Going against the grain on the sides and back can result in a serious case of razor burn.  With your head not used to being razor shaved, your head can easily flare up with red bumps and burn.  Before going against the grain in the front, re-lather with shave cream and go at it.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 07:31:15 PM »
So in order:

warm water
baby oil
shave cream
shave with the grain
re-lather with shave cream
shave against the grain (in front)
rinse off with cold water
apply aftershave lotion

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 04:54:27 AM »
First week or so that I shaved my head I went only WTG.  Get used to that. After a week, I carefully tried ATG. The latter gives a smoother shave, but I'd recommend working up to that. Give your scalp a chance to get used to the new shaving feeling.

Nice that you discovered the joy of a fully smooth head!  It is an amazing feeling. I think that's why so many guys, once they shave their head, stick with it.  More for the feel. But the looks are good too.

I'm going to share your story with a co-working who just got the OK from his wife to shave his head.