Author Topic: Just removed hair piece and shaved head...  (Read 3740 times)

Offline brianz24

• Learning the way of Sly
Just removed hair piece and shaved head...
« on: June 21, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
I think my story may be a common one here -- I starting losing my hair around 19 years old, it was traumatic.  I saw the TV commercials for Hair club and the like.  i got in with a local salon and started my 20 year drama wearing hair. 

It impacted my life far more than the TV commercials would have you believe.  I had more problems over the years than I can count.  Regardless, I am now 42 and decided it was time to remove it and shave my head. 

Obviously it's a big decision -- and it has been a bit traumatic.  Every time I look in the mirror I get quite the shock.   Though I am very aware of the benefits -- Saved Money!!, no longer worrying about sweating or physical activity, etc. etc.

What I did NOT anticipate is what my scalp would look like when I took this off.  It has been off for 48 hours and I have noticed several things:

1.  Obviously it's WHITE .. My face is much darker from sun exposure.  I hope to remedy this with some time on the beach.   This I anticipated. 

What I did not anticipate:
2.  My scalp looks quite irritated.  Red spots, what appears to be groups of pimples.  I am using pimple treatment and they seem to be SLOWLY reducing. 
3.  I'm not a huge fan of the way my hair on the side looks.. it's a straight line from no hair to hair where the process was.  To address, I'm shaving it down as far as I can, but it still doesn't look like I would like. 
4.  finally -- the big one that's bothering me the most.  You can still see an "indentation" line in my scalp where the process was.  I know it's only been 48 hours, and my technician said they would go away with a little bit of time.. She suggested between 4 days to a week, but I'm not convinced.    Can anyone shed any light on this?  Will they simply fade out with time?  Is there anything I can do to help the situation?

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts that anyone has, especially if you have experienced similiar issues.

Thanks!

Brian

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Just removed hair piece and shaved head...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 08:35:50 PM »
Congratulations Brian! Be patient. I had a dermatitis condition for decades, and to my surprise, it completely disappeared when I shaved my head. If I try to let my hair grow, it comes back in less than a week. And 6 months from now, you will still be amazed when you look in a mirror.

I can't help you with the rest, hopefully someone here can.

Mike
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 01:59:14 AM »
Good luck with the jump, and ditching the rug, the red marks will reduce as your skin gets used to the razor, with lumps and bumps on your head, you are gonna be your biggest critic, most people wont even see them
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 02:12:49 AM »
Welcome, Brian!
Congratulations on making the change. Two of my favorite things to treat scalp bumps/pimples are ice cubes and Bump patrol. Tend Skin is another good product but it's a bit pricey, about $17 a bottle. Give your head a few weeks to tan and to adjust to the razor and it will come around.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 04:12:16 AM »
Congratulations! It must be a relief? I can't imagine the hassle, enjoy the freedom, it won't take long for you to think of it as "the norm"

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 07:14:46 AM »
Congratulations on taking back control, Brian!

Like the other gentlemen have stated, the redness that usually comes from the scalp adjusting to the razor will go away in a little while as your skin toughens up.

The pale skin is something a lot of us experienced when we first shaved, and the areas formally shielded from sun by hair were exposed. It will tan - just be careful not to try to rush things. Dealing with a sunburn and peeling on newly shaved skin is not fun.

Welcome to the board, sir!
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 08:51:11 AM »
When I first shaved, I pinched a bit of the gf 's moisturising bronzer until it naturally blended..... Worked a treat without looking orange

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 09:45:08 AM »
Welcome to the club and congratulations on ditching the treatments. The pale scalp and irritation will take care of themselves as you continue to shave. As far as the lines go, that may go away with time as well as you perfect your routine.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Beadog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 11:03:42 AM »
Congrats on the decision to shave the dome! I agree with the bump patrol suggestion. Stick with it, and all will be well.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 12:01:48 PM »
Good for You. You will love the new look.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 05:32:14 PM »
Good call!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »
Good decision.  It must be a relief to be free from the hair treatment - not to mention the cost.
Roger

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 06:58:56 AM »
Hey Brian, I'm wondering how you're doing? Are you sticking with it, let us know.
Bald by choice, and loving it!