Author Topic: 27 and just buzzed for first time  (Read 8211 times)

Offline scooby07

• Learning the way of Sly
27 and just buzzed for first time
« on: May 29, 2015, 09:34:21 PM »
I just turned 27 a few weeks ago and I had been stressing over losing my hair since it started going quickly about a year ago. I decided that I didn't want to be one of those guys who hides his hair loss while it affects my self confidence and overall quality of life. So, on memorial day I buzzed it down to 1/16mm (the lowest guard I had with my clipper set..) It has definitely taken some getting used to and people's reactions have been mixed but mostly good.. I think most people are just shocked because they didn't realize my hair was getting as thin as it was so they don't think it was necessary. I would argue that nobody can know the affect hair loss can have one your confidence unless you have gone through it. So even thought I still had a good amount of hair left, it didn't change the negative way I felt about myself. Overall I am much happier and much more self confident already and I think it will only get better as I get more acclimated to the change. I just wanted to post a before and after photo because it was very hard for me to find these when I was contemplating buzzing it off. Maybe this will help someone else if they are thinking about taking the plunge. The before pic looks a little rough because I spiked my hair up to show my receding hair line and thinning up top. I'd love to know what people honestly think of the new look. Thanks

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Re: 27 and just buzzed for first time
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 10:03:19 PM »
Yeah, I'd say you were ready to "get rid of the scraps".  IMHO you look much better.  And if I might suggest; I think that you would look even better if you take a razor to it.  No one will even be able to notice that you have any hair loss if you shave it clean.  And, you have a great shaped head!

Once you get rid of the thinning hair people's attention will naturally be drawn to your eyes when they see you.  I wish that you hadn't obscured them!

Offline scooby07

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 10:10:09 PM »
Yeah, I'd say you were ready to "get rid of the scraps".  IMHO you look much better.  And if I might suggest; I think that you would look even better if you take a razor to it.  No one will even be able to notice that you have any hair loss if you shave it clean.  And, you have a great shaped head!

Once you get rid of the thinning hair people's attention will naturally be drawn to your eyes when they see you.  I wish that you hadn't obscured them!

Thanks! I think I will eventually go all the way down just giving myself some transition time to get a tan and get used to the look haha. Sorry about the pic, just a habit when posting online pics of myself. Here is same pic w/o blur..

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 10:12:25 PM »
You have really friendly eyes!  No way would you want some scrappy hair to distract people from those!

I think you made a great choice.  Congratulations and welcome to the SBG!

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 11:14:39 PM »
You made a great choice, welcome!
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 12:20:53 AM »
Welcome! Before wasn't too bad looking, but the after picture suits you well.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 12:34:02 AM »
The short buzz looks awesome.  You have a great shaped head, and it works for you, and, yes, it did look like you were thinning quite a bit.  Problem now solved, however.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 04:11:56 AM »
You made a really wise decision - buzzing your head before you let the hair loss affect you. And it looks great. I agree with BBBA. Taking a razor to it will make you look even better.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 05:50:50 AM »
You looked great buzzed and will fully shaved.  At your age I kept my buzzed short even though i was not losing hair at that time.  Always wanted short hair or no hair. 

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 09:00:46 AM »
Looks good. Congratulations on taking the plunge. You will like being completely shaved bald even more.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 12:00:14 PM »
Congrats
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline scooby07

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 07:22:46 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words and advice. I was thinking about it today and I am pretty sure I am going to shave it all the way down eventually. I think it will help even more on the confidence level because once it is completely gone there is nothing left to even remotely worry about haha. I will post pics when I do it.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 09:39:12 PM »
Great move on your part like others have said.  It will look really good razored down.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 07:44:49 AM »
I can relate to how you feel.  I had a receding hairline and was thinning all over on top but didn't have any slick bald spots -- I don't think most people realized how much hair I had lost and thus didn't understand when the time came to buzz it. 

While it does expose the extent of hair loss, it is also greatly liberating as you are now experiencing.  Good for you for knowing that it was time and having the courage to go through with it.

I agree with the others who have suggested that you should try a complete shave in the future.  It would give you a much cleaner look, and if you don't like it, it only takes a couple of days to get back to where you are now.  Aside from looking cleaner, it will feel a lot better.  Do it when you feel you are ready, but sooner would be better than later.  Trust me, once you've done it, you'll be telling us all that we were right.    ;)

Offline scooby07

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 10:12:24 PM »
I can relate to how you feel.  I had a receding hairline and was thinning all over on top but didn't have any slick bald spots -- I don't think most people realized how much hair I had lost and thus didn't understand when the time came to buzz it. 

While it does expose the extent of hair loss, it is also greatly liberating as you are now experiencing.  Good for you for knowing that it was time and having the courage to go through with it.

I agree with the others who have suggested that you should try a complete shave in the future.  It would give you a much cleaner look, and if you don't like it, it only takes a couple of days to get back to where you are now.  Aside from looking cleaner, it will feel a lot better.  Do it when you feel you are ready, but sooner would be better than later.  Trust me, once you've done it, you'll be telling us all that we were right.    ;)

Well.. after hearing all of you guys tell me that I needed to shave it, I decided there is no time like the present and I shaved it clean tonight  O0... I completely agree that it does look soooo much better. With the way my hair loss was I feel that a buzz made me look old (in a bad way). Although my head is not perfect ( a couple unsightly moles and a scar on the side of my head), I feel like this looks a lot better.

I wish that it was tan, because I feel like it would look a lot better but it will get there eventually. What is the best way to even out the complexion? Also, I shaved with the "grain".. do you get a cleaner shave going against the grain? What products do you recommend? Thanks again guys.. here is a new "before and after"