Author Topic: Weighing my options  (Read 6680 times)

Offline Ruffnek

• Bearded bald guy
  • Sly Guy in Training
Weighing my options
« on: May 28, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »
I love beards, especially mine. I shave my head and grow my beard so that I can be "me" and not just another face in the crowd. I have a problem with my beard though, more with my mustache, that I'm having trouble getting over. My mustache won't connect with my beard or with itself (under the nose) and it bugs me to no end. I look Amish, only with red hair and nothing on top. I've been growing for a while and I'm starting to think that a rocking beard just isn't in the cards for me.

I've contemplated shaving it but then my face looks fat.

I've contemplated a goatee but the "soul patch" area is just as bad as the mustache so it would be a non-traditional goatee (think Scott Ian from Anthrax).

I've contemplated leaving it and letting it just do it's thing. I believe this is what's called "full natural" in beard competitions.

Any suggestions or advice?

Ruffnek

Offline Ruffnek

• Bearded bald guy
  • Sly Guy in Training
Re: Weighing my options
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »
Ruffnek

Offline Ruffnek

• Bearded bald guy
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 05:32:59 PM »
Ruffnek

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:34:05 PM »
Just my opinion, but I would shave it. Or a short goatee. My mustache doesn't really connect to the beard, but I let it grow long enough to cover it up.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:10:55 PM »
I remember in one of your previous posts you said you were 22 years old. For some of us, the facial hair really doesn't kick in until about 30 or even later. In my younger years, I could barely grow a pencil thin mustache, but I could grow a killer flattop. Then when I hit about 27-28 and I started receding, the mustache started growing thicker. (Growing a beard was not an option, as I was in the military at that time). In my later 30's as my hairline kept creeping back, the face fur was growing amazingly fast. As for you, I would kill to have that kind of beard coverage, but you may just have to give it time for the mustache to develop. I think what you have now is good, but nothing wrong with changing it up and trying something different. Even if you go down to a goatee, you know what kind of beard you can grow. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 07:19:06 PM »
A lot of guys have mustaches that don't connect to their beards.  It's really not a problem.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 07:40:19 PM »
What Sir Harry says about facial hair developing over time has definitely been true for me.  I was similarly mustache-challenged in my 20s, but no such issue in my late 30s.  As for what you should do, just have fun with it.  It's only hair.  Try things out and see what works.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 08:07:31 PM »
Has your mustache been growing as long as your beard without trimming?  If so, I suggest letting it gain some length and train/comb it to the sides.  The extra length will make it look fuller and possible "cover" the lack of connection.  If it has not been trimmed, your mustache has some more maturing to do.  In that case, you could trim the beard on the sides but leave the length on the bottom/goatee area.

Everybody's beards mature at different rates in different areas.  For me, my mustache matured first in my mid 20's, my goatee area but 30, but my cheeks did not mature until my mid 40's.
SlyBeard

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 08:43:48 PM »
My suggestion is to go with what your body is capable of: shave the moustache, the soul patch area and maybe even trim the cheeks a bit, for a sharper edge.  "Amish" is not so bad looking, but think "Abe Lincoln" also.   It looks like you are BBC, so you already are somewhat "non-traditional" in style.  By the way, my plumber was here this past week to tune up the AC system.  He's mid 20s I'd say.  He had exactly the same beard as you could have: shaved moustache & soul patch area; a bit more trimmed on the length.  It looked cool.

Offline Ruffnek

• Bearded bald guy
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »
I don't do anything to my facial hair, I have been just letting it grow to see what it'll do. It just seems that it would look odd to have a beard with no mustache or soul patch.

My wife thinks I'd look good with a short goatee but the idea of trimming makes me cringe because it's taken so long to reach this length. Every time I've ever trimmed hair, be it my chin or my head, I've botched it and had to end up shaving it off. I just never can seem to get it even.

Another thing that bugs me is the way the beard doesn't want to grow on either side of my chin. If you look at the pictures, you notice little bald spots just off center of either side.
Ruffnek

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:16:47 PM »
at your age that is still pretty good coverage, I know probably til about 24 years old i had a small patch without coverage just on the underside of the point of my chin. from about 16 I've played about with varying facial hair styles, times change, and so will styles, different things through different stages of life. For example I never went for a full beard until I shaved my head completely, cos I didn't like the look, it just seemed too hair heavy. I gotta admit your beard is pretty wild! I keep mine looking a bit tamer
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Ruffnek

• Bearded bald guy
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »
Well here's what I ended up with after the wife and I talked and started playing with the clippers. I think I'm just gonna keep it like this until it decides to grow like I want.

Ruffnek

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 06:29:49 PM »
Good decision.  I think it works well for you.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 09:17:36 PM »
I think it looks good that way!

Offline Beadog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 07:50:54 AM »
I agree. Much better!