Author Topic: Going bald is making me depressed  (Read 7145 times)

Offline BigDawg23

• Learning the way of Sly
Going bald is making me depressed
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »
I'm 33 years old and my hair is thinning. Makes me feel bad, but worse is I got a 22 year old girlfriend and I know people judge already about the age difference. But going bald is making me depressed, don't know what to do, shave it and lift weights for the Rock look or try and save my hair, smh. Any advice would help guys.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:48:41 PM by BigDawg23 »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Going bald is making me depressed
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 10:03:21 PM »
Welcome!

First off, it's only normal for thinning hair to be a concern. It's just something most people don't like going through. What does your girlfriend think of your hair situation? Are you sure people are judging you because you're older than your girlfriend? Why don't you post a picture and we can see what you're working with.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
Going bald is making me depressed
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 11:15:50 PM »
Welcome! You sound like you're more worried about the age difference in your relationship, are you both happy together is all that matters,, there is a 10 year age gap between my wife and I, but it's not important, we're happy.

As for the thinning, try shaving it, it will always grow back if you don't like it.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 11:32:12 AM »
Shave  your  head completely   and you will look much younger  - -You will feel better.

You must realize  - - if you don't like it  - - -It will grow back.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
I think I would be proactive and just shave it bald. People of all ages are going with the bald style, it's very mainstream right now. My girlfriend(at the time) loved my full head of silver hair, and was shocked when I shaved my head before she was up one morning. Within a few hours, she said she loved my bald head.

As was said here before, if a gal is that shallow that going bald is a deal breaker, wouldn't you want to know now?
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline rubforluck

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 01:51:04 AM »
So, if you are showing thinning characteristics and it's noticeable, then the cat is out of the bag. Now, you're worried about the age gap between you and your girlfriend, but the bright side is you are doing something right. Don't be so hard on yourself, especially if she is into you.

Honestly man, I would sit down and talk with her about it and be like "so, I'm going to go ahead and shave it all off." Communication is half the battle in a relationship, broski.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 03:21:23 AM »
Embrace the cards life has dealt you, I was about 26 when I stopped kidding myself and shaved it off, and had  nothing but positive comments about the chrome dome
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 04:59:37 AM »
My wife is +3 years on me.  Uncle Roland was +11 years on Aunt Connie.  (He should have shaved his head, but it wasn't the style back then). They worked out OK.

When I was young and single, I read a book about preparing for marriage.  It suggested that the 'normal' age differences between man and woman was woman older by 3 or younger by 10 ... completely normal.  Beyond that, take an extra look to see if there are 'issues'.  It still might be OK, but take a closer look.  You are within the 'normal' age range.  Don't worry about the age.

As for shaving your head, I'm BBC and I really enjoy the look and feel.  If you are even thinking of shaving your head, go ahead and give it a try.  (30 day rule).  Bald heads on guys are very mainstream today.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 08:48:29 PM »
I can't tell which is your bigger concern: that your hair is thinning or that people are judging you because your girlfriend is ten years younger.  If it's the latter, if you and she are comfortable with the age difference and have a good relationship, then what other people think doesn't matter.  If it's the former and you are worried that shaving your head will exaggerate the age difference, stop worrying about that.  Shaved heads are more and more common on men of all ages.  If you are concerned that your girlfriend will be less attracted to you because of your thinning hair, you probably are not giving her enough credit and are projecting your insecurity onto her.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 02:03:31 PM »
Look, most women dont care about a guys hair, or lack of it! Be yourself! Shave it down and be YOU! Dont worry what others think. Life is too short. Enjoy the sly look. Be a 'proud' bald guy!!!!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 02:39:49 PM »
Let me get this straight, you are 33 and your girlfriend is 22.

DUDE, YOU ARE A GOD!
The only people who are going to judge you in a negative light are women who wish you would pay attention to them and guys who wish they were you.
As far as the hair loss, IMO, it doesn't seem to have caused you a lot of trouble so far.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 05:00:32 PM »
BigDawg:  It's only hair.  There are a helluva lot of other things to worry about losing!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Titus

• The younger
  • Sly Jr.
  • Que sera sera.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 12:23:54 AM »
My girlfriend is similar in the age gap as your relationship is...Just let your feelings for eachother matter, and not the age gap! Age is a number, love is far more than a number friend.

As for the hair? You have nothing to lose by trying to shave it all off! If you don't like it? It will grow back. That's the thing with hair...Personally, I think if you are balding or thinning, it's nice to get the jump on mother nature and embrace a  bald head by choice!

Share some pictures, none of us here will judge. Many are in the same boat, and we are all here to support eachother. :)

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 05:09:53 AM »
Please don't use peoples posts to advertise..... This site is for people that have or want to embrace their baldness, not hide behind a product.