Author Topic: What should I do? 18-year-old male with marked prevalence of MPB in his family.  (Read 5320 times)

Offline TheNightsSoul

• Learning the way of Sly
Now, let me just commence this thread by stating that I know I should seek the advice of a dermatologist, but my GP has stubbornly refused me referral to such a doctor, stating that I have a good head of hair.

But something is up. If you're like me, one answer is not enough. I feel as though I am going crazy -- my parents think I have a full head of hair, yet I, subjectively, have noticed quite some loss in the temporal regions of my hairline since the past year. The funny thing is, a mere year and a half ago, I had a perfect hairline (well, to tell you the truth, it has always been "recedy", for lack of a better word, but recently it seems like MPB is setting in).

My immediate attribution to my male pattern baldness (if it is, indeed, that) would be the inherent prevalence of the genetic condition in my family. My dad's bald. My dad's dad was bald. My mum's dad is bald. My mum's brother is bald. My mum's mum's dad was bald.... hence the apparent recession I am facing in the present day.... ..... ..... ....

However, I'm not up to labeling my loss as MPB just yet -- for you see, I suffer from depression, Asperger's Syndrome, OCD, and possibly ADHD... and as such, I tend to worry and obsess a lot more often about these things than I should, in addition to encountering a multitude of difficulties far greater in severity to what's on my head. Perhaps it's the stress that's the culprit?

If years of counselling and liaisons with other so-called "professionals" have taught me anything, it's that they're as incompetent as old guts (pardon the crude simile). Thus, I decided to sign up for this forum and seek advice from the people who really know their stuff.

I have considered, for a long while, shaving my entire melon clean. Now, I'm not one to give a damn about how others perceive me, so as far as the social aspect is concerned, I'm good. It's just that I still have something in me which tells me that I'm just not at the stage which "demands" it yet.

Yes, I am aware that, ultimately, it is me who decides what to do with my hair... but I'm just so conflicted. I'm also aware that taking the measure of inquiring for advice on an Internet forum seemingly contradicts my aforementioned lack of care as to how others view me.... ... ...such is my hormone-laden mind.

I apologise for the haphazard nature of my thread. With that, your advice would be greatly appreciated. For reference, pictures are included of my hairline below - taken a few days ago.

Thanks.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
You are a long way off from having to shave your head.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
You ARE YEARS AWAY from NEEDING  to shave your head; but if you want to test fly the "sly" style why not give it a test fiight?  You will probably look greatg with a smooth mellon!  My only caveat is that if you shave your ghead please commit to the 30 day rule.  After that, you can make a decision as to whether or not you want to grow your hair back and how long you would like it to get.

Have fun with it.   Change up your style.  I say go ahead and go smooth for month!

And be sure to send photos so that we can tell you what we think.

Offline TheNightsSoul

Well, thanks for the responses, guys!  :) While I still think I'm genetically predisposed to be a cueball by 25 (also, what I forgot to mention earlier is that almost all the men in my family have shed at an early age), I'm going to continue growing it out until it really does become obvious to the casual observer. Thanks again!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Welcome! I think you have excellent coverage for now. But regardless, keep us posted on whatever you decide.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline BigMark83

You're fine son.

Offline Raulski

• Sly Jr.
Great hair!
Get rid of it :D