Author Topic: Razors!?  (Read 3636 times)

Offline JasonR

• Sly
Razors!?
« on: March 25, 2015, 04:06:56 PM »
I know there are a few threads regarding shaving, but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a GOOD razor that's not terribly expensive. I've also got to buy a decent amount of them before I go out of the country for a while.

I used Dollar Shave Club razors, and they are OK, but I can only get 1-2 good shaves out of them (head and beard).

What do you guys use, and how many shaves do you get out of them?

Also, sometimes I have a hard time getting a close shave...

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
Re: Razors!?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
I use the Gillette fusion.  I get about five or six head and beard shaves out of one blade. 

Roger
Have a great Day.

Roger

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 02:17:55 AM »
I use a gillete mach3 they have served me well for over 10 years of shaving, I never actually count how many shaves I get out of em but would be a decent amount
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »
I converted to safety razors.  The DE89 is a great razor, readily available.  I get 2 head and face shaves per blade, but the blades are only 15 cents each.

Offline nick2401

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 06:34:40 PM »
For cartridge razors I used the Gillette Fusion, but since then I have become a convert to the DE razor. Right now I am using my 2 shave old Merkur progress and Astra Platinum... a 100 pack ( yes one hundred blades) for $20 on amazon. I can get 3-4 face and head shaves out of them ( and if I were less picky a few more)

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 09:49:02 PM »
I use a Gillette Fusion, or Gillette Fusion Proglide. Whichever one has the extra trimming blade on the back. That really helps me out especially with the goatee. I think it has 5 blades maybe? More then the Mach 3, which I used to use, but for me it seems the 5 blades get the job done quicker with less passes.

I get probably around 4 to 6 shaves a blade, head and facial hair. Here lately it hasn't been as many since I have been waiting so long in between shaves but normally if I do it every 2 days or so I get quite a bit of use out of the blades. Personally I don't think you could go wrong between the Gillette Mach 3 and the Fusion Proglide, if you prefer cartridge style like me.

Now those can be a bit expensive, but that's all I use. They are worth it to me with the amount of use I get out of them and the way they work so well for me. I used to use some of the Schick razors though, I think those were a little less expensive but i'm not 100% sure. It seems like I was using something called the Schick Hydro 5. They were disposable though, no refills, at least on the ones I was using. Those done pretty well for me, I just personally wouldn't recommend their Gel, it seems to dry me out. But if you are looking for something that works fairly well and costs less, I might recommend those. Schick has a ton of other style razors out as well, but I haven't tried any others so I couldn't suggest those.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 11:51:33 AM »
Mach 3 is an awesome razor. Tried a few including DE but Mach 3 is the best for me!

Offline TSE

• Sly Jr.
    • TheShavingEdge.com
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 12:05:30 PM »
I (mostly) use a DE. Often I'll use the headblade (atx or sport depending on mood) for a polishing pass.

My go to blade are Crystal DE's and typically would get about 3 shaves per blade. My go to razor (of recent) seems to be the Parker 26C open comb. It's got some nice weight to it, it’s not too aggressive, and relatively inexpensive.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 11:42:07 AM »
I use a mach 3 as well, on weekdays, weekends I use the de89 also, lovely shave and little shadow

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 12:15:12 PM »
DE89 is a great DE razor

Offline Gixx562

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 01:23:21 PM »
I use Gillette custom plus 2 or 3 each razor last me about a week I shave my head daily and face every other day, I have also just ordered some Gillette guards , I like to use my de razors also but when I have time to do so

Enter your email address: