Author Topic: The Time Arrived, Day 1  (Read 5585 times)

Offline CursedButAlive

• Learning the way of Sly
The Time Arrived, Day 1
« on: March 22, 2015, 05:25:01 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and was so glad finding this great site. I've read quite a bit and felt great confidence from the sly guys. I love that term!

I'm almost 50 and had pretty much a bald head on the top right with some fuzz here and there and the left side once with decent coverage finally showing scalp essentially blending in with the bald side. Still a little left in the middle of the forehead in the bangs area and a medium size bald spot on the back top. Slowly over time I kept losing hair style options because of the hair loss then coming down to me growing the top out at least 6-7" combing more and more from the back. It basically looked like a Caesar haircut with noticeable scalp showing in between. This meant combing it with a fine brush getting it oh so right then using hairspray. It felt horrible like a helmet was attached to my head knowing if one strong breeze came along it would mean instant uncovered baldness. Not sure why that bothered me knowing you could easily see how thin it was but I did a fair job of hiding the total baldness and one would have to lift up the hair to realize the extent (or I fooled myself thinking that).

I finally decided enough was enough and promised myself that when the time came I would completely shave it and not do a comb over. To my horror realizing I actually had a comb over only it came from the back blending with what was left on top. Still it was one and for some reason because it didn't come from the sides I never realized until finally a light bulb lit up. I decided it was time but because of the ole still clinging to what was left was going to wait until a new pic for a drivers license renewal came up then shave it. Well that went south after I tried a Christmas gift to trim sideburns and beards using a lower guard. I cut way to low and also trying to blend it in with the hair on the sides cut a bunch off and really screwed it up. So because of having to have the hair so long on top it just wouldn't have blended well having it shorter than a #5 blade on the sides next thing I knew I had a smooth razor shaven head.

Now this may sound weird or maybe someone has heard it before. The only reason I wanted hair for the drivers license pic was because of being carded for tobacco or alcohol if I felt inclined and if it was a woman her to see me with hair. Well scratch that, wish I could feel comfortable about the whole thing. I've really given up on looking or dating for many years now after a very long marriage that ended and though lonely love the freedom and no drama. So why this bothers me is kinda ridiculous sounding I suppose.

Anyway I'm having high anxiety right now about being shaven clean especially after a friend told me something awhile back that I cannot get out of my brain. He said, 'Make sure you tan it or use tan in the bottle or else you will look like a cancer patient.'. I told him since my dad died of cancer I felt insulted. I'm fair skinned and burn easily but at least don't have a white head compared to face, it's almost the same. A little sun will make it look better but there won't be any golden tan going on.

I know I will rock a hat but always have but hey no more hair head however hope to gain confidence and wear one less than before. No longer do I fear the wind messing up the icky feeling stiff hair sprayed follicles. My head shape isn't the greatest either it seems. One day I will post a pic but the cam broke awhile back. This forehead is weird to me in that near the top on the right and left side are raised knots essentially almost like I was supposed to have grown devil horns and they didn't take. From the side it looks really bizarre to me. The other thing is there's loose skin behind the chin under the jaw no matter how much weight I've lost it will not go away. I know the first thought is grow a beard although I prefer stubble but after about 4 days growth it's fairly long and itches like crazy plus feels hot (not to mention the sticky stabbing feeling near the corners of the mouth). The other thing is the grey color pretty much now the whole thing. I like how others have looked with clean heads and a beard. But feel it makes me look older with a full beard or goatee (I never see others like this?). I just hate that freaking flab that is genetic cause it looks bad to me from the side when focusing on the shape of the dome. I also have a birthmark about 3" of blotch on the back of the upper neck normally hidden by hair.

It really and truly ticks me off why by now with all the scientific breakthroughs hair can't be grown without slicing flesh from the back of the neck. I will close for now and try and deal with this but still not used to myself (will I ever be?) being shaven and there's so many other issues I won't divulge compounding it all.

DAY 1 - Clean Dome
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:49:26 AM by CursedButAlive »

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: The Time Arrived, Day 1
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 06:04:01 AM »
Thanks for joining us here on SBG, and welcome to being sly!

Give it the 30 days and I bet you won't go back to hair again. Many of us here, whether balding or not, found out how nice a shaved head is. Feels good. Looks good.  It's not a big negative. 

Day 1. you are on your way.  Good for you.  Thanks for sharing your long story.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:41:23 PM »
You're still getting carded at almost 50 and you call yourself cursed?   :o

Offline CursedButAlive

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 11:26:16 PM »
Thanks for joining us here on SBG, and welcome to being sly!

Give it the 30 days and I bet you won't go back to hair again. Many of us here, whether balding or not, found out how nice a shaved head is. Feels good. Looks good.  It's not a big negative. 

Day 1. you are on your way.  Good for you.  Thanks for sharing your long story.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! :)

I've almost made it through the 30 day period. I appreciate the advice and agree it does feel much better. Hair is now my enemy. Yes it was very long. lol You're welcome.

Day 25, shaven and not looking back. This is the new me.

Offline CursedButAlive

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 11:32:28 PM »
You're still getting carded at almost 50 and you call yourself cursed?   :o

Rofl

That really was a nice one. Funny and positive, thanks. :)

Offline CursedButAlive

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 12:25:14 AM »
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:02:55 AM by CursedButAlive »

Offline CursedButAlive

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 12:40:45 AM »
Wow, I've done it!! I thought I starting shaving on April 1st!!! It was March 22, 2015, 05:25:01 AM, so I made it. lol

Day 33 !!!

Sorry any that read this, I lost track of time. Life and everything. :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:03:28 AM by CursedButAlive »

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »
Superb! Bald is the best by far!! Be Bald, Be Proud!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 12:44:53 AM »
Congratulations on completing the thirty days, sir!

So... can we assume the look is a keeper for you?
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 05:26:46 PM »
Since you've passed day 30, I guess that means you've adjusted to the sly look. Well done and welcome to the club!
Hair is over rated.

Offline mrzed1

• SLY Bald Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 05:13:30 AM »
Mark that date on the calendar. The day you started shaving your head. It's much like a birth date.  In a year, you will be celebrating the anniversary.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 04:33:23 PM »
Congrats on 30 days!  Is your life so great now that you already forgot about us?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 02:01:15 PM »
No reply from OP as he has forgotten to shave so cant see!! lol