Author Topic: My hair is starting to thin...  (Read 28681 times)

nyjrb

Re: My hair is starting to thin...
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 10:19:37 PM »
Can anyone help and answer if this looks like my vertex is starting to thin? Someone told me today that I look a bit thin back there....
Here it is wet (flash was off for both pics):

Here it is dry:

Offline SWvic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 12:20:49 AM »
Buddy, chill! Looks like a crown to me!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 09:39:53 AM »
Friend:

Like so many have already told you; you have nothing to worry about.  You have lots of hair.  SWvic is right - that is just a normal crown pattern.  If you want to keep wearing your hair long you can certainly continue to do so.

But I have a question/suggestion:

It seems like you are going crazy from an obsession about your hair.  Is it really worth it to you to spend this much time worrying about it?  You might be a candidate for "shaving for sanity".   If your hair is worrying you so much have you ever thought about just getting rid of it and not having to worry about it for a while?  Might that not be a very "freeing" thing for you?

Why not give yourself a month's break from this obsession/compulsion.  Just go the "full monty".  Get rid of the hair and then observe the 30 day rule.  After the end of a full month as a sly guy ask yourself if you really want to go back to worrying about your hair. - or if your life isn't just a little better without having to worry about that anymore.

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 01:05:57 PM »
I understand the obsession, I went through that for years, as I'm sure many of us did before we decided to take charge. 

The advice here is solid, you're hair looks good but if you're "losing sleep" over it, then try the short 'do.  Get it buzzed and see if you like that look.  I buzzed my hair for a year before I finally decided to shave it off and after I shaved it, I realized I should have just shaved it all along!  Stick to the 30 days to give yourself time to get used to it.

And oh yeah, keep the full beard.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »
The crown looks normal to me....most men have a little "swirl" in the center. That said, maybe you could try something in the form of a high-and-tight or maybe a "bald fade" (the one where it's thickest on top 1 guard on the sides and cranium and no guard along the ears and the nape of the neck) just to see what you would look like with shorter hair....Many of us went the shorter and shorter route instead of going all the way all at once (though there's nothing wrong with going either route). Did you ask your dad how old was he when he started losing his hair to give you an idea when it should happen to you?
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 02:39:43 PM »
I echo the others by saying you have nothing to worry about. I had a huge bald batch at my crown that was five inches in diameter when I completely shaved mine.  You still have a lot to work with man. 

Offline kylebcool

• My hovercraft is full of eels
  • Sly Jr.
  • 11-29-14 it began again
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2014, 06:43:19 AM »
Buddy, chill! Looks like a crown to me!

I agree with SWvic, chill man. If you lose it you lose it. I still have an appearance of a full hairline though its softening in areas and about to head for the hills. I just came back to being shaved and its liberating to say the least. I'm 25 and now I don't have to care about hair loss. Its just less to shave. Give it a try and stick to it for 30 days.
In case of fire, break open the vodka. Its going to be a long night...

nyjrb

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2015, 08:31:39 PM »
I've took a bit of time to contemplate, but now I feel like I may be ready to buzz my hair.
I do truly believe that I'm losing it in a diffuse pattern, if anyone has that type of hairloss let me know what you think, and I'm just not so sure about taking fin to stop it. I'm getting ready to embrace being a bald man. Should I?
Here is some photos of my whole head: http://imgur.com/a/7tVJb#0

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:38:15 PM by nyjrb »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2015, 09:25:23 PM »
Welcome back, nyjrb!

I looked at the photos, and I see a slight thinning, but I don't think you're full blown mpb just yet. That said, if you think you're ready, go ahead and give the buzz a shot.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Harry Bringle

• Introducing myself
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2015, 10:09:10 PM »
You r looking really nice.Don't bother about other things.
I am Bringle from Hague,Netherlands.I am always cooperative in nature.I am very much concerned about my fashion & style.So, i wanna know & share everything related to that.

Offline Calvo1029

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2015, 10:24:59 PM »
As a fellow diffuse thinner, the best way about it is a buzz cut.

I was way, way worse than you. Last year I went on vacation and I saw some pics when I came back...and...eesh. So I asked for a 4 on top 2 on the sides, and then I thought that was too long, so I asked for a three. Progressively I went down from there. Now I'm so thin (but with an awkward solid patch in front...think Zidane)....that I switch between a 1 on top/0 sides and fully shaved. I had been faux hawking it on the weekends- kinda like you I guess.

I remember when I was 26, I went on a business trip and whatever the hotel mirrors had, my hair just looked so bad. So thin on top. Forget the crown- a lot of dudes have that. But it took until I was 28 to buzz, and I should have sooner.

When I buzzed, everyone I know- from co-workers, my guy friends, women, my mom...everyone said how much better it looked. And if you choose to go sly after, people barely notice the adjustment.

One thing I do notice about being fully shaved, is that guys will find you scarier, and some girls won't like it and others will be behind you at a bar and just start touching your head.

I'm glad that there are places to discuss this as I have a few balding friends and most are in denial, but there are lots of places on the internet where balding guys are all full of despair and hopeless.

You are ahead of the curve, and good for you. I hope this helps and I hope the younger mes out there who were desperately trying anything (rogaine doesn't work after a while and never works for diffuse on top) see this and get over any issues and just buzz it and or shave it.
If only I could figure out how to get rid of the hair that still comes back...

nyjrb

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2015, 10:35:57 PM »
As a fellow diffuse thinner, the best way about it is a buzz cut.

I was way, way worse than you. Last year I went on vacation and I saw some pics when I came back...and...eesh. So I asked for a 4 on top 2 on the sides, and then I thought that was too long, so I asked for a three. Progressively I went down from there. Now I'm so thin (but with an awkward solid patch in front...think Zidane)....that I switch between a 1 on top/0 sides and fully shaved. I had been faux hawking it on the weekends- kinda like you I guess.

I remember when I was 26, I went on a business trip and whatever the hotel mirrors had, my hair just looked so bad. So thin on top. Forget the crown- a lot of dudes have that. But it took until I was 28 to buzz, and I should have sooner.

When I buzzed, everyone I know- from co-workers, my guy friends, women, my mom...everyone said how much better it looked. And if you choose to go sly after, people barely notice the adjustment.

One thing I do notice about being fully shaved, is that guys will find you scarier, and some girls won't like it and others will be behind you at a bar and just start touching your head.

I'm glad that there are places to discuss this as I have a few balding friends and most are in denial, but there are lots of places on the internet where balding guys are all full of despair and hopeless.

You are ahead of the curve, and good for you. I hope this helps and I hope the younger mes out there who were desperately trying anything (rogaine doesn't work after a while and never works for diffuse on top) see this and get over any issues and just buzz it and or shave it.
But based on your experience, would you say that I have diffuse thinning?
My older brother bald the same way. he started to show signs at about 28, now ten years nothing left but the horseshoe. I sorta feel liek I'm heading that way.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2015, 07:50:51 AM »
It really isn't possible to know if you have diffuse thinning or not from that photo.  We would need to see something not as close up where the entire head can be seen.  That being said, looking at the balding patterns of other family members is usually a good indication of where you are heading.  If you feel self-conscious about it, try a buzz cut and let yourself adjust to not having a lot of hair.  Then later, when you're ready, move on to the next level.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2015, 08:22:45 AM »
Looks to me like you are looking for a reason to try a new hairstyle. Your not going bald, so if you want to buzz or shave, just man up and do it. But be prepared, I shaved off a full head of hair out of curiosity. That was almost 2 years ago, and I have kept it. Yes, I anguished before shaving about what people would say. The minute I shaved my head, I didn't care what anyone thought, I loved it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Derris The Barber

• Sly
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 08:30:06 AM »
Hey there bud, I know balding is something that happens in life but sometimes you can own up and take matters into your own hand. You still have a good bit of time but hey it's up to you. I think a buzzcut will look good on you. I suggest give it a shot. If you have some clippers I wouldn't mind teaching you how to buzz it or shave it, which ever one you prefer. I'm a barber by the way. I'm looking forward to helping you out! Feel free to ask questions!

Plus to Reddog, I wish I had it like you. I shaved my head when I was 14 because I was curious and I loved it. I graduate high school this year and I've been wanting to shave it bald again for the longest! I'm too scared of what people at school will say.
-Derris The Barber
-Derris The Barber