Author Topic: How body types affect a bald head  (Read 47201 times)

Offline Xan

• Sly Guy in Training
How body types affect a bald head
« on: October 26, 2006, 01:01:19 AM »
Hi there, I decided to join this forum since you all look to be a great bunch of folk that appear very helpful so I wish to ask a few queries, but first some insight on myself:
I'm 19 years old, 6'3" and my hair is thinning very, very fast. I have to admit it bothers me immensely because, Hell, I'm -19- and already I'm starting to go bald and it's getting pretty advanced and I believe it wont be able to hide it with haircuts by the time I'm 20 (in May). So I'm considering to just shave it all off and stop worrying about it. But there is one thing that is stopping me and it's my body build. See, I am fairly tall at 6'3" and I am not muscular in any standards. I have relatively broad shoulders and I'm not gaunt or anything, just not muscular, a fairly thin build. I'm worried that if I shave my head that it'll sort of show me with a long neck..Now I don't know if you can actually answer me but, would my being thin make a shaved head look bad?
I'd appreciate any advice or knowledge you can offer me.

EDIT: Also, my head is pretty egg shaped so I don't know how that will look bald. Suggest away, please!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 03:06:13 AM by Xan »

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
Re: How body types affect a bald head
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 04:35:37 AM »
Hi Xan,

and welcome to the forum! I'm glad you like us and that you've found our posts useful. :)

All right, as far as your enquiry is concerned:

Honestly, I don't know how you will look like with a bald head. Perhaps it would
be helpful if you posted a picture, then me and the other guys would be able to better judge it.

But besides, what really matters is whether you will like your new looks.
So, you will be the judge, not us. 

I'm quite tall myself (6'5"), and a little fat too, he he. Plus, my X used to say that my head looked like an egg - so you see, as far as the egg thing is concerned, I totally understand your concern. However, once I shaved I didn't notice anything bad about the shape of my head. It didn't look egglike. The shaven head gave me a fresh, sly and sophisticated look. And I'm enjoying that look.

As far as your long neck and your slim build is concerned, well, again, I'd have to see a picture to judge that. But it is my sincere belief that a slim build and a bald head match nicely. And as an added bonus, you'd get a slyer look (and perhaps you'll look a little more dangerous, hehe). So if you've been suffering from your looks and people thought you look kind of weak due to your slim build (I'm not saying you do, I'm just saying "if"), a shaven head will most probably resolve that.

The only honest advice I can give you, though, is: just give it a try. What do you have to lose? Besides, none of the folks here on this forum did regret the bald move. And you'll notice that we all have different skull shapes. Some have pretty round looking heads, others have edgy heads, and so on. So we all have different skull shapes. But we're all happy with our shaven heads. I hope you will too.

So, join us and become a Sly Bald Guy too!

Happy Harry 
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Xan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 05:09:17 AM »

This is me taken about 5 minutes ago with my digital camera.

And this is me again with an oval around myhead to accuentate the egginess of my head.

You may all find that I don't appear to have a receding hairline at all, but a simple gust of wind (very small) will just show it right away. Also, after about an hour my hair misplaces to reveal it even more (With my middle protuding low and the sides way up high, showing the receding part)

So what do you all think? I want honest opinons.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 05:15:10 AM by Xan »

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 07:33:12 AM »
Shave it, embrace the bald...lol

Seriously though, shave it. You'll be glad you did.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Xan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 01:44:09 PM »
Thanks for your opinion guys.
Can other people chime in their two cents as well?

Offline EkEkEkEk

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 03:05:08 PM »
hi xan,
i have a thin frame, too, and for a long time i thought that a shaved head doesn't work if you lack muscle. i started working out in preparation for shaving, but quickly realized that getting toned was gonna come easy, getting bigger was gonna be tough. and then i realized that i didn't really want to get bigger, i like my size. i want to be in shape and content. i still have hair, but it's just a matter of time before i get rid of it.  my head is shaped differently than yours and i've been told it's the ideal shape, i can style my hair or lack of hair however i choose and it should work. i worry that my neck will look too long also.  looking at your picture, i'd say go for it, but keep in mind i haven't gone for it yet. it's a hard decision. i guess, if you hate it it will grow back in time, but you'll still have the same issues.  my other struggle is that i do a lot of acting, will no hair effect casting? in some roles, sure, but i don't think a shaved head makes a person look older. michael cerveris is a broadway actor who has no hair on his head and he recently played the title role in SWEENEY TODD, a role usually played by a man with a full untidy mop of  hair. i'm sure you have concerns, too.  i can't say go for it b/c i haven't yet, but i don't think you have to worry about looking terrible.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 10:17:50 AM »
Hi Xan,

and sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks for posting a picture. I've carefully looked at it, and here's what I think:

You're head doesn't seem egglike to me. In fact, when I had hair it was so much
more noticeable than in your case. So, you don't need to worry about it.
After all, we all use to notice various things about our bodies that other
people just don't notice at all. We look in the mirror very often, and we notice every detail. So we're liable to turn a minor thing (that others barely notice, even if you point it out to them) into a big thing. It happened to me, it happened to you, it happened to all of us. My advice: don't worry about the shape of your head.

Another thing I've noticed is the interesting shape of your ears. I think they look great. They would definitely come out quite nicely in combination with a shaved head.

And finally, another small tip: Grow a moustache and a goatee. I tried to imagine
you with one, and you would definitely look great with it.
It will give you, in combination with your shaven head, a more serious and solid
appearance. You would definitely look very different with a shaven head, a moustache and a goatee. And I'm sure (I really am) that your friends will be pleasantly surprised and that they will like the look. And I wouldn't be surprised if people started treating you with more respect as a result of your appearance. And who knows, your personal attitude (and the way you feel and think about yourself) might change as well once you start seeing yourself in the mirror with a shaven head.

So, what are you still waiting for?! Take that razor and shave it all off. Off you go...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 10:21:02 AM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 11:47:04 AM »
f**k me, I'm glad that no one has given me the helpful tip of growing a moustache or a goatee, 'cause I can't grow either! That's right, I'm follicurally challenged when it comes to facial hair also!

Offline Xan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 11:02:29 PM »
Well, I did shave my head and it does look good. I am thinking about growing a goatee, but just the chin part of it along with the soulpatch but no mustashe.
I do have a pic posted but I'll post a better one when I get a chance to.
Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 11:26:02 PM »
Well, I did shave my head and it does look good...
Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it.

Glad we could be of help to you Xan!  I'm really glad that you like your new look!!!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 08:31:00 AM »
Sweet deal Xan, that's what we're here for.

Congratulations
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 09:21:28 AM »
Rock on!  Welcome to the world of confidence.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

gearhedguy

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 12:35:35 PM »
Cool dude, you did it. . . you shaved your dome!! That rocks man - awesome!! Be bald, be proud.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 03:13:17 AM »
Whooo! Great news, Xan! I'm glad you went ahead and did it! Well done! ;)

I'm also happy to hear that you like your new look - that's what matters most...whether you like it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new picture...and I'm sure everybody will agree with me that you've made the right choice.

Don't forget to share some stories (first reactions from friends/family etc.) in the
the bald stories topic, now that you're one of us...

Ah...that reminds me of the scene in the film The Lost Boys, with Jason Patric, Kiefer Sutherland and the rest of the boys in the cave...and Jason Patric drinks the blood...

"You're one of us now, Michael..."

Aye, you're one of us now, Xan. And you see, it wasn't quite as bloody after all...

Take care.

HappyHarry
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Xan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 02:09:33 AM »
I finally managed to take a deecnt picture (god bless my digital camera)
Here ya go, all.

Enjoy.

Enter your email address: