Author Topic: Pros and Cons of being bald  (Read 76292 times)

Offline Sancho

• Learning the way of Sly
Pros and Cons of being bald
« on: July 21, 2013, 03:15:50 PM »
I just joined, and saw this thread. Thought I´d contribute my observations.
Pros:  Less hassle. No mucking about with shampoo, conditioner, brushes, combs, barbers, etc. Cheaper. And Sly.
Cons: Spurning the advances of the Ladies, who simply will not form an orderly queue.
For the Slys, can you imagine Yul Brynner or Captain Picard with hair?
For the Slyettes, have you ever seen a photo of singer Sinead O´Connor, from the eighties, when she had a No.1 razor cut?
Best Wishes, all.

Getting balder and prouder!

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
Re: Pros and Cons of being bald
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »
Ireland, of course, has more clement weather (i.e., "cooler") than some of us in the States have to put up with.  So, a disadvantage of heat (as is the case in Ming's neighborhood lately) is that sweat encounters no obstacles to trickling off the dome.  There is, however, the availability of sweat bands.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »
Pros are too much for me to list, I just love the look, feel, and not seeing all the grey hair. The only con I can think of is the time it takes to shave daily. I;m still worried about some irritation, but shaving with a razor is getting better.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Sancho

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »
Too true, Ming and Reddog. We´ve just had our first heatwave in 15 years here, and I see some bald dudes with sunburn on their heads. This is seriously not good. I don´t razor my head, I tried it a few times and "nicked" my head so much with a razor it was a pita. So I just go over my head with an electric trimmer set at No.1. My Dad, who is in his late eighties, still backcombs his fringe to cover his pate, which I think is a bit sad. But he comes from the days when a bald head was considered an object of ridicule, so I let him get on with it, without comment. It´s a lot easier nowadays that a bald head, or a very short blade, has become cool. I´m 51, and a teacher, and some teenagers I work with have razored heads. It´s really no big deal nowadays, at least since the seventies, and I can´t remember when I last saw a guy with an obvious wig or toupé. My younger brother, aged 40-odd, has shaved his head for at least a decade. I really think this website is performing a public service to young guys worried about the whole hair-loss thing. If we could just persuade them it´s one less thing to worry about, AND you get to look Sly!
Getting balder and prouder!

Offline Cousin It

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 06:29:09 PM »
Pros - Self explanatory
Cons - Mosquitos. Can't feel the little bastards land.

Offline pekasebonus

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 01:00:36 AM »

This site is a website that deals with the story of many people who came to receive good information

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »
Pros- looking like a bad ass
Cons - none

Offline Aussie Sly Guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Sly Since March 2011
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 08:00:01 AM »
The only con for me is the odd pimple I get on my head from time to time.

Offline DSCSK

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 04:21:12 AM »
Pros:

1) It feels better than any other hairstyle. I feel like I'm at peace. You can find warmth and solace from it when you are all alone (LOL  ;) )

2) It saves a lot of time daily especially if your a person with unruly hair.

3) No shampooing. A shower lasts significantly shorter than usual.

4) You get extra attention. Especially if you are BBC.

5) All the hats and bandanas look perfect on you.

Cons:

1) At one point of time, i think shaving might get tiresome, especially if your hair grows really fast (I don't know..).

2) After I get up i have pillow marks on my head.

3) It gets really cold during winter especially if you forget to get a warm beanie.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 04:34:11 AM »
From my perspective ...

Pros:

1) It feels better than any other hairstyle. I feel like I'm at peace. <--- This one is awesome.

Cons:

1) At one point of time, i think shaving might get tiresome <--- Hasn't happened after 18 months; that feeling of renewal after a shave is quite remarkable

"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 06:57:08 AM »
Pro's - I'm making the most of what hair I've got by shaving it off

Con's - it's not hair, sorry that I go 'against the grain' but given the choice I'd have fantastic hair and I don't share the opinion that everyone looks better bald.  I think a lot of guys look better sly than with a horseshoe but I have no idea why anyone would shave off a perfectly great head of hair!

Also it's time consuming, I spend more time on my hair now that I don't have any!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 09:21:32 AM »
Sorry Slyest, I gotta disagree.

Others have told me, and I concur, I look far better bald than with a full head of gray hair.

But that's the great thing - we can each do as we choose.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 10:40:34 PM »
From my perspective ...

Pros:

1) It feels better than any other hairstyle. I feel like I'm at peace. <--- This one is awesome.

Cons:

1) At one point of time, i think shaving might get tiresome <--- Hasn't happened after 18 months; that feeling of renewal after a shave is quite remarkable

Can't agree more! It is the easiest haircut and I haven't grown tired of shaving. I think waiting at the barbers is too time consuming. I liked buzz cuts and flat tops and they require a cut every two weeks. Being bald is easiest and it does feel amazing after every shave. Shaving everyday or every second day makes the shaving process faster an easier. Shaving once a week gets messy.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 12:05:48 AM »
After nearly 10 years of shaving I am still pleased each time I shave - usually every second day -  at the great feeling of smoothness.  It is very hot in OZ just now so the slick feel is even better.  Have trimmed my beard down to a #1 for the summer and I let it grow a bit in winter.
Roger

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 01:39:16 PM »
Pros: No more horseshoe that curled up giving me a Bozo look, AND being told I look ten to fifteen years younger without it.

Con: My head gets COLD much more easily than it ever did before.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Enter your email address: