Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741751 times)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1305 on: April 24, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »
Hi, Mel

The Dorco's are pretty decent. They're pretty easy to clean, but at this time, I would still have to say the Voshkod is my favorite. Derby's rank dead last to me and I only use those for the underbeard. BTW, I only stopped wet shaving in January because of job training, but I'm back just got to shave more often.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1306 on: April 25, 2015, 05:35:39 PM »
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Speakeasy"  |  Ever-Ready 100T TGN Finest  |  iKon ShaveCraft #102 Slant  |  Treet Platinum Super Stainless  |  1740 Beard Balm  |  Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Speakeasy" Aftershave & Cologne | Bunnahabhain 12 single malt scotch | Charles Mingus tunes

PAA's "Speakeasy" smells like jazz if that makes any sense/scents.  Bunnahabhain makes you feel like you're breaking the law. Mingus makes you fogetaboutit.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1307 on: May 13, 2015, 06:53:35 PM »
Wednesday, May 13, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  Above the Tie S1 w/ BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe Handle

Blade:  Treet Platinum

Soap:  Mystic Water Soap:  Bay Rum

Brush:  Omega S Brush

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

I have been literally shaving with the ATT (Above the Tie) S1 razor, lately.   It is a stainless slant head that is beautifully made.  I get some great face shaves but my head shaves have been okay.  I am still trying to figure out the angles on my head shaves.  For me. . . the iKON Shave Craft #102 gives me better head shaves.  It is still too early to tell and with time I hope that I can figure out the angles on my head shaves with the ATT S1.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #1308 on: May 13, 2015, 08:37:52 PM »
Mel/Warhawk.

The Mike's Natural Soaps (Hungarian Lavender), arrived today.  Will give it a try in the morning! With a DE razor, new blade.  Report to follow.

This is a nice soap. Not a huge amount of lather, but enough. The Lavender scent is very nice. Not over powering, but not wimpy either.  I've been using this shave soap almost exclusively this past month.

Still finding that I finish up with the head blade to get a smooth head.  The DE is just not smooth enough, yet.

Offline SlickChromeDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1309 on: May 17, 2015, 01:11:20 PM »
Quick question...I've decided to pull the DE back out. I've got an Edwin Jagger DE89Bl, primarily use Astra or Feathers. When I'm using it on my head I will go first pass with the grain and second pass against the grain (or) across the grain due to sensitivity issues. I can't seem to get the against the grain pass on the back of my head. Any pointers???

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1310 on: May 17, 2015, 03:25:21 PM »
...I can't seem to get the against the grain pass on the back of my head. Any pointers???
I don't know what you mean by "can't get the against the grain pass on the back." Do you mean you can't reach it or that you just can't get it smooth?

Offline SlickChromeDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1311 on: May 20, 2015, 09:42:53 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response...yes I can't seem to get it smooth. Any technique advice or something??

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1312 on: May 21, 2015, 05:18:59 AM »
I have 2 roughly 3"x 3" patches on the the upper back left and right side of my head that are tricky to get BBS.  Analyzing it a few years ago, I discovered that's simply an angle transition zone.  My head takes a steeper curve there and I wasn't maintaining the optimum razor angle when making that pass.  Pay very close attention to your problem area and try to "feel" if the blade contact changes.

About 70% of head shaving is blind, so we do most of it by feel and then muscle memory thereafter.

If adjusting your angle doesn't work, you may have a swirl and you may never be getting against the true grain.  At which point, I recommend trying diagonal passes.

Offline SlickChromeDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1313 on: May 21, 2015, 08:13:21 PM »
Thanks for the pointers....I'll make sure I'm really watching the angle of the DE,if that fails I'll try across the grain. DE are so tricky sometimes!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1314 on: May 22, 2015, 06:49:36 PM »
@SlickChromeDome:  Also... try placing your chin to your chest when your are shaving the back side of your dome.  You may also want to try stretching out the skin with your other hand.  Keep us posted.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1315 on: May 22, 2015, 06:54:50 PM »
@MrZed:  Hi Dan... Don't forget that Mike's Natural Soap is a very thirsty soap.  Meaning that you will need more water on your brush than other shave soaps.  Once you get it dialed in Mike's Natural Soap will reward you with a great shave. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1316 on: May 22, 2015, 07:03:21 PM »
Friday, May 22, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  Mongoose B1 w/ UFO Torpedo Handle

Blade:  Feather Professional

Soap:  Le Pere Lucien

Brush:  Simpson Duke 3

Wow!!!  My shave was so good that I did not want it to end.  Hope your shaves are super smooth. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1317 on: May 26, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »
Last night's SOTD:  Monday, May 25, 2015

Razor:  Weber DLC w/ Graphite Black Bulldog Handle

Blade:  Feather

Soap:  Cold River Soap Works Select:  Puro Fresco

Brush:  Semogue 2012 SE

Last night's shave was super, smooth and incredible.  If you haven't tried the Cold River Soap Works Select shave soaps . . . I highly recommend it.  The performance is great and the post shave effects are amazing.

WARHAWK

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1318 on: May 30, 2015, 06:01:27 PM »
Head & face shave. 2 days growth.

Technique:  WTG / XTG / ATG/clean-up.

Prep: Shower.     

Soap: RazoRock XXX (tallow)

Brush: Ever-Ready 100T (TGN Finest)

Razor: Merkur Progress set at 4

Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless(1)

Pay-off:  Firefly marathon.

Every wetshaver should try XXX at least once.  RazoRock (Italian Barber) makes great performing soap.  Interestingly, when I first started using it a little over a year ago, I found it to be extremely slick---too slick even.  It didn't pair well for shower shaving which I do 99% of the time because it was unavoidable to get the slick soap all over the razor handle.  I also found the RazoRock soaps broke down rather quickly.  Face shavers would probably never notice it, but since I shave my head and face (3 passes each), the final, closest pass lost its protection.  Over time, I've discovered the problem is the tallow formula coupled with a somewhat careless shower shave.  I inevitably break down the relatively delicate tallow due to inadvertently introducing too much water either directly in the shaving bowl or from too much water on my head.  In my experience, some of my other favorite tallow soaps just aren't as susceptible to water breakdown.  That said, the glorious, powerful scent of XXX just keeps calling me back.  I would dare say a few weepers are a fair sacrifice for the scent alone.  However, you don't have to make that compromise.  You just have to be careful when you dial it in that you don't destroy the luxurious lather, and that you are haphazard with getting soap on the razor's handle.  You'll find it stands up to even the best artisan soaps and the scent of XXX will bring you back time after time.

The Merkur Progress is probably the most perfectly balanced razor I own.  I used to fiddle with the settings between passes, but I've discovered setting it to 4 and leaving it gives me the best shave.  If I could make one change, it would be to add a knurled handle.  The length of the handle is just right, however.  It fits my hand such that the knob can rest on my fifth digit while I choke up just under the head with my thumb and index finger.

I really prefer an alcohol/menthol-based aftershave, but I don't have a XXX splash, and I wanted to enjoy the XXX scent a bit longer.  The XXX milk fit the bill perfectly.  My scalp feels incredibly soft and smooth right now.

I'm topping off the night feeling sentimental watching a Firefly marathon with my wife.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1319 on: May 31, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »
Soap Commander - Courage | Ever-Ready 100T w/ TGN finest | Merkur Progress @ 4 | Treet Platinum Super Stainless (2) | Soap Commander Balm - Integrity