Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 747096 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1290 on: April 14, 2015, 05:58:09 AM »
Thanks, Mel.  I'm glad to see someone chiming in on this thread.  I was beginning to think I was all alone. Heh.

I'm interested in the Treets.  I've heard good things about them.  What's your opinion of them?  What would you compare them to?

Hi Matt:  You will never be alone my friend as I try to always participate in this friend.  I only wish that more of our SBG brothers can participate.

As far as the Treet Platinum blades... I love them.  They are so much better than the Treet Carbon blades which are rough and tug a a lot.  I have been using my Feather blades almost exclusively when I use a DE razor so I cannot really compare it to my other blades such as my other favs:  Polsilver Super Iridium and Astra SP.   I will say that it is a sharp and smooth blade.  For me... it is not better than the Feather which are my favorite but the Treet Platinums are a great blade.  It really matches well with my slant razors. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1291 on: April 14, 2015, 06:04:46 AM »
Late last night SOTD:  Monday Night, April 13, 2015

iKON ShaveCraft #102 slant

Treet Platinum

Jabonman Citricos

Semogue 620

Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Osage Rub

I had such a great shave last night that I slept like a baby.  I hope that your shaves are super, smooth. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1292 on: April 15, 2015, 05:45:19 AM »
Los Angeles Shaving Soap Co. "Bespoke #1" | Ever-Ready 100T (TGN Finest) | iKon #102 | Voskhod | Chiseled Face "Sherlock"

First time using Voskhod.  I wasn't impressed.  There were no injuries, but it just wasn't smooth and comfortable.  It's a good thing I had a LASSC to protect and Chiseled Face splash to settle everything down and soothe.  Chiseled Face has just topped Speick as my go-to rescue splash.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1293 on: April 16, 2015, 09:49:17 PM »
Reptilian Shave

Dapper Dragon Soaps' "Black Dragon" | Every-Ready 100T (TGN Finest) | RazoRock Baby Smooth | Gillette Silver Blue | Fine's "Snake Bite"

This was my first time using a Gillette Silver Blue blade.  It seemed a little harsh, but still BBS head & face shave with no weepers.

Dapper Dragon performed perfectly as usual.  The "Black Dragon" scent was more citrus-y than I remembered it.  It was a pleasant surprise.

The Baby Smooth is freakishly light, and it's impossible to make a mistake with this smooth shaver.

Finished with Snake Bite because I wanted to feel the burn!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1294 on: April 18, 2015, 07:02:15 PM »
Head & face shower shave. 2 days growth.

Technique:  WTG / XTG / ATG/clean-up.

Prep: Shower.     

Soap: Chiseled Face - "Summer Storm"

Brush: Ever-Ready 100T (my grandfather's, then father's brush) w/TGN Finest

Razor: Merkur Progress

Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless(1)

Post: Cold shower rinse. Chiseled Face "Summer Storm" Aftershave Splash. Death Wish Coffee infused 1740 Blackout Beard Balm.

I guess the stars were aligned.  I received my Chiseled Face order as well as a PIF of a tuck of Treets today.

Straight off the puck, Chiseled Face's "Summer Storm" smells like wet earth and grass.  A quick and perfect---I mean perfect lather develops the more subtle scents including musky floral notes and finally, ozone.  Beats me how he so accurately reproduces a Summer rain storm, but this is spot on.  The performance of this soap can not be out done by soaps three times the price.  Chiseled Face may also be one of the more stable soaps I've used.  A 45-second load yielded enough lather for a three-pass face shave followed by a three-pass head shave with clean-up.  Just the time I take to perform a three-pass face shave would be enough for some of my other artisan soaps to begin to break down.

The Treet Platinum SS was a total surprise.  I'm a long time Astra fan.  A good friend PIF'd me the Treets, and I'm glad he did (Thanks, Mel).  This felt much smoother than Astras, and I didn't know that was possible.  The crown of my head can be a problem area, and my Treet-loaded Merkur Progress set at 3 glided over my scalp like glass.  I was able to take long, fast sweeps on the third pass.  BBS throughout. No weepers.  No irritation.  I can't wait to see how the Treets perform in a slant.

I finished off with Chiseled Face's "Summer Storm" Aftershave Splash.  I recently commented that Chiseled Face's splashes are unique in that they clearly contain aloe, but they aren't sticky.  It feels very nice and nourishing to my skin.  My wife likes the scent, too. The earthiness vanishes rather quickly leaving a lingering musky floral, maybe jasmine, scent.

I've had some dry patches around my mouth, so I broke out the Death Wish Coffee infused 1740 Blackout Beard Balm for my van dyke. It's lanolin-based along with sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, and coconut oil.  It's not only great for taming a wiry van dyke, it also heals chapped skin.

This was an outstanding, extremely comfortable shave.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1295 on: April 19, 2015, 08:40:52 PM »
@120:  Hi Matt  . . . glad that you got the TREET Platinum blades.  I'm even more glad that you got a great shave with it.  For me . . . it pairs perfect with my slant razors.  BTW... love
your SOTD pic.  Keep them coming.

I only hope that we can have more participation here.  I'm tagging some of our SBG brothers who shave with a safety razor:  Sir Harry, Doug, MrZed,  MikeKoz (miss you man
haven't heard from you in a long time), BlueBriz, Mike E.P.,  Reddog, Rob6, Waine, Greatnessinc, Red (Derrell).  If I forgot your name... my apologies but I would love for you all to participate and have fun in this section of the forum. O0

WARHAWK O0
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:42:56 PM by warhawk »

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1296 on: April 21, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  iKON ShaveCraft #102

Blade:  Treet Platinum

Soap:  Barrister & Mann :  Latha

Brush:  Omega S Brush (synthetic)

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

Just had an incredible face and dome shave.  Ahhhh . .  .  life is great.  As always I get some great shaves with the #102 and the Treet Platinum combo.  My past several shaves have been with Barrister & Mann:  LATHA.  it is a great performing soap.  The scent is very hard to describe.  It smells like clean, aloe vera but this soap is super, icy slick.  Love it. 

This was my very 1st time using an Omega synthetic brush.  It is an Omega S Brush and for under $10.  This is a great "bang for your buck brush".  If you are looking for a good synthetic brush without breaking the bank than this is your brush.  I purchased it at www.shoeboxshaveshop.com.  Gary from ShoeBox gave excellent customer service.

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1297 on: April 21, 2015, 06:26:09 PM »
You dig that #102, don't you.  I may load a Treet in my 102 tonight and give it a go.  I never use a blade more than twice.  How do the Treets hold up with multiple shaves?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1298 on: April 21, 2015, 06:45:58 PM »
Hi Matt:  Yes. . . I am loving the #102. O0  For me  . . . the Treet Platinum blades match well with my slants.  Like you. . . I toss my DE blades after 2 full face and dome shaves.  Keep us posted, my friend.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1299 on: April 21, 2015, 06:58:17 PM »
I think the Treet Platinums can be pushed to more than 2 uses but I like to play it safe.  That is one great thing about shaving with a DE blade versus cartridges. O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1300 on: April 22, 2015, 05:35:04 AM »
Soap Commander "Courage"  |  Ever-Ready 100T TGN Finest  |  iKon ShaveCraft #102 Slant  |  Treet Platinum Super Stainless  |  1740 Beard Balm  |  Death Wish Coffee Co. Valhalla Java Odinforce Blend

The Treet blades are awesome!  Mel, I can't thank you enough!  These blades are perfect in my slant. I'm chillin' with my morning java and super slick dome.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1301 on: April 24, 2015, 07:33:49 AM »
SOTD April 23, 2015

Handle: Lord
Blade: Dorco
Soap: Shave secret/Van Der Haagen
Aftercare: Tend skin/Ice cube

Was a little short on time, but nice to go back to the DE after using a Mach 3 for the last several months

Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1302 on: April 24, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »
Hi Harry:  Nice SOTD entry...  how do you like the Dorco blade?

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1303 on: April 24, 2015, 11:54:54 AM »
Hi Matt:  Glad that you are loving the Treet Platinum blades.  I am so loving mine.  Love your SOTD pic.  How do you like the Death Wish Coffee?  Can you purchase it on line?

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1304 on: April 24, 2015, 12:06:50 PM »
Friday, April 24, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  iKON ShaveCraft #102

Blade:  Treet Platinum

Soap:  Mystic Water Soap:  Bay Rum

Brush:  Omega S Brush (synthetic)

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

Enjoyed a very relaxing, super, smooth shave today.  Mystic Water Soap continues to be a great performer and it has always been in my rotation.  The scent is intoxicating.  Love it.

WARHAWK O0