Author Topic: Shaving head with flakes  (Read 29961 times)

Offline Mike P.

• Sly Guy in Training
Shaving head with flakes
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:49:18 PM »
Hi everyone. I've been lurking around the boards for the last month or so, and figured i'd join in case I had any questions.

I do plan on going "sly" in the near future. Currently i'm using clippers without a guard, on the lowest setting. Lately i've been having problems with dry, flaky scalp. I have heard that shaving your head will remove the flakes. I was planning on shaving it with the grain the first few times, just so I can get the feel of using the razor on my noggin. My question is, even when shaving with the grain (I know it still leaves A LITTLE stubble), does it get rid of the flakes, or does shaving against the grain only get rid of them?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:01:57 PM by Mike P. »

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
Re: Shaving head with flakes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:13:04 AM »
welcome.
One way to find out :)
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:55:36 AM »
Welcome. Even after you shave your head, you have to constantly wash it-and not with regular shampoo. Some things that you can use to wash your scalp are Noxzema, Nivea, Sea Breeze among other things. Also, you have to wash your pillowcases, as there is nothing between your scalp and a dirty pillowcase. Another thing is to wear sun protection if you're going to be outside for an extended period. Good Luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: Shaving head with flakes
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:13:42 AM »
Welcome to SBG. Sirharry pretty much summed it up...

Cheers,
Ro

Offline IllinoisBaldy

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 06:52:16 AM »
Welcome.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 07:02:55 AM »
Hi Mike P.
I've experienced complete relief from Seborrheic Dermatitis as a result of shaving my dome.
I try and avoid skipping a day because keeping your head smooth also keeps it clean from dry/flaky skin.

Good luck. There's a lot of good information on SBG to help you out!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 07:06:43 AM »
Try an exfoliator like St. Ives Apricot Scrub. I use a generic but they pretty much all do the same thing. I usually shave in the shower so I wash my head first and then rinse. Next is a light coating of shave oil, I use Shave Secret from WalMart and I put my HeadSlick on right over the oil. After the shave a good rinse and then I apply the exfoliator. I scrub it thoroughly for a minute or so and then let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then I scrub it again and rinse really well.
I've never really had the flaking problem but I have experienced rough spots on the dome after shaving which the exfoliator takes care of plus it leaves the dome with a nice shine.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Bald Nomad

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
Before I started shaving my head I used to suffer from a really flaky scalp. Within two or three days of going sly the problem disappeared and only now comes back if I don't shave for about a week. To make sure my head doesn't dry out I always use a good moisturizer after I shave.

Go for it, you won't regret it!
Be the change you want to see in the world!

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 02:55:19 PM »
I agree with the others  but like Buddha's  apricot scrub that sounds nice 

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:14:41 PM »
The flakes could be caused by dry scalp, heed the advise of our sly brothers to use a good moisturizer. You will do just fine.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Mike P.

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes and tips guys!

I'll have to pick up some St. Ives Apricot Scrub. It seems to be a very popular product, so it must work really well.

sirharry - I actually was going to start washing my pillowcases more often. In addition to flakes, my scalp does tend to get a little oily. Everyonce in awhile i'll get a pimple or two towards back of my head, near my neck and maybe one around my sideburns. I did wash them today, so hopefully that issue will resolve.

Once I shave it, i'll post a pic.

Thanks again guys.

Offline SlyAggie

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 08:43:13 PM »
I must agree wholeheartedly about st Ives apricot scrub. I had pretty bad flaking before going sly, n thanks to guys on here and their advice, I scrub before shaving. I have absolutely no flakes any longer, and I shave daily. By the way, I am BBC, so I had plenty of hair that produced flakes galore!

Use a good moisturizer definitely, or aloe gel...you get moisture trapping and a good shine!

Best of luck!

Offline Mike P.

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »
Another quick question:

Do you have to use the exfolliant everytime you shave, or is it something to use once a week?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 04:47:16 AM »
Mike-I would say yes just for the simple fact that so much sweat and dirt could develop on a scalp as the day goes by...Also after shaving, you might want to apply some witch hazel to your scalp/face to further remove the possibility of pimples (they could be razor bumps, rookie shavers tend to get those a lot too until their scalp gets adjusted). Maybe I need to try this St. Ives stuff with all of these recommendations on the forum! :)
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mike P.

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 08:56:18 PM »
Mike-I would say yes just for the simple fact that so much sweat and dirt could develop on a scalp as the day goes by...Also after shaving, you might want to apply some witch hazel to your scalp/face to further remove the possibility of pimples (they could be razor bumps, rookie shavers tend to get those a lot too until their scalp gets adjusted). Maybe I need to try this St. Ives stuff with all of these recommendations on the forum! :)

Thanks! I actually did go to this newer health/organic store that opened up last year near my house. They had Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel (with no alcohol), so I picked that up. Although I forgot to get the cotton balls, haha. So I need to get those tomorrow.