Author Topic: The HeadBlade Line  (Read 39358 times)

Offline baldvinny

• Baron Of The Bald
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • "Feel My F'n GROOVE!"
The HeadBlade Line
« on: October 10, 2006, 01:29:43 PM »
Sorry it took so long getting around to writing this, but it is long overdue. the fellas on this board really need to be informed of all things HeadBlade. As i mentioned in another thread, i have done some marketing/promotional work for HeadBlade over the last several years. I am not an "employee", rather a really good "friend of the family". This is a perfect place to keep one thread for all things/questions about the HB. if i dont know the answer, i'll most certainly find it for you.

since it's inception, headblade has been constantly developing products for guys who shave their dome. the thing that attracted me most to the company at the time i was introduced was that the company's founder shaved his head. this was not gillette trying to come out with a razor...this was a guy who shaved everyday like i did

the main problem with shaving your head is the handle. using a traditional razor, the handle is awkward and you'll often shave at weird angles. also, most people tend to "rake" the razor and take short strokes. this clogs the blade and increases friction. headblade alleviates both of those problems

the main draw with the Original HeadBlade (as well as the S4, and the new HB Sport) is that there is no handle. well, there is, but its attached to your hand. there is a ring right on top of the unit that you slide your middle finger into (and dont worry Yetti, if you have big fingers just run the plastic under hot water and it can be stretched open a bit). You rest your index finger on the front and either your ring/pinky finger on the back. it is important to keep the back pad in contact with your head AT ALL TIMES, so i'm gonna mention it a few times to drive it into your heads

the standard headblade (as well as S4) use a pivoting double blade. the replacements are the same as for the gillette Atra line (but to save some dough, you can get the same blades as a CVS/WalMart/Target store brand). the blades on the atra are the same blades as on a mach3, there are just less of them. the blades are made the same way, with the same technology. some shavers are stuck on the mach3, thinking more blades = better shave. in my opinion more blades only equal more friction. i get an excellent shave with 2 blades so i dont need to try 3

but....for those who enjoy 3 blades, headblade will be introducing a new model, the HB Sport, which should be available online very soon. it has a similar shape to the S4, and comes standard with a triple blade.

i've mentioned the S4 a few times, so let me elaborate on that for a minute. It is the mack-daddy of all head shaving equiptment. S4 (Stainless Steel Signature Series) is made of stainless steel (duh) and features rolling wheels on the back as well as a kickstand to keep it parked in the shower. the heft of this razor makes it amazing. the wheels in the back help you take long sweeping strokes, which is the key to lower friction) and the ring is spring loaded and automatically adjusts to finger size.

I guess the next logical step is shaving technique. with the HB, you LEAD with the blade and go AGAINST the grain. rest the HB on your dome with NO PRESSURE on the blade (all while keeping the back pad in contact with your scalp). take long sweeping strokes from the front of the crown all the way past the top part of your head. You can take 5 or 6 long strokes but be sure to rinse the blade and keep it nice and clean. once you have the top and sides done, take the HB, FLIP IT AROUND, and get ready to do the back of your head. like i said, you lead with the blade so turing it around in your hand allows you to keep a natural movement as you go against the grain and shave the back of your head

it may take a shave or three to get really comfortable with the HB (especially if you have lots of bad habits from a regular razor) just remember to lead with the blade, keep the back pad down and dont use pressure. the HB is designed to give you an optimal blade angle, so all of the above helps give you the best shave

HeadBlade also offers a full line of head-care products. The most essential is HeadSlick, the shaving creme. its more like a lotion, which goes on and turns to a nice light foam. its water based, so it rinses cleanly from the razor. it also has a very light menthol to give a bit of a cooling sensation after a shave.

HeadLube is the after shave moisturizer line, and comes in a "glossy" and "matte" version. i prefer matte, as my head tends to get oily sometimes and the glossy is just too slick. i suggest you try them both and find the one you prefer (all of the cremes/lotions are available in sample sizes if you just want to give them a try)

HeadShed is a new exfoliator that has ground walnut shell to help rempve the dead skin and prepare your head for a better shave. i use it about 3 times a week and its really improved the look/feel of my head.

HeadShade is the sunscreen. it comes in a pump and has an SPF of 15. It is PABA free and very water and sweat resistant

HB also has a brand new trimmer/clipper called the HeadFade, but i have never used it so cant really give a review.

oh, and they have a kick ass logo that is emblazoned on everything from hats and shirts to golf balls and pens. you should check out some of their gear, especially the hanging toiletry kit wich kicks lots of ass

so thats about it, i think. if there is anything i didnt think of, ill post it here later. if you have any questions/comments, feel free to post them here

PEACE

BV

headblade

BaldRob

Re: The HeadBlade Line
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 01:32:58 PM »
I'm a firm believer of HeadBlade!  Best shave of the head you can get...  :)

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 03:10:55 PM »
Great Review for HeadBlade products! Thx Vinny, and yeah... I have Yeti twinkie fingers lol!   ;D
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 03:25:11 PM »
Yes, that is probably the best review this site will ever see!  Headblade should pay you for that stuff!  I'm going to post that over on the blog also.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline baldvinny

• Baron Of The Bald
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • "Feel My F'n GROOVE!"
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 03:32:16 PM »
you should email the guys at HB with the "they should pay you for this stuff" line....

just glad i can help...

Offline baldvinny

• Baron Of The Bald
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • "Feel My F'n GROOVE!"
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 03:40:03 PM »
also just thought of something else.....tell your wives/girlfriends/one-night-stands about using the HB to shave their legs. they have the same problem (probably even worse) with the handle and the backs of their legs. just remove the blade, turn it around (so the blades face "in") and its in the perfect position to lead with the blade and shave against the grain. same principles apply, fingers where they need to be, back pad down and no pressure. my fiancee has her own (i got todd to send me a blue one for her) and both of my sisters use them.

BaldRob

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 04:28:03 PM »
Don't forget that if you order from Headblade.com, put the code "MYSPACE" in the promotion code, you receive 20% off your order...

Offline lostnfound21

• Sly Jr.
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 11:28:04 AM »
You know...I started using Headblade when it first came out. I liked that the concept was created by a guy that shaved his head and it looked like a really cool idea. Shaving was awkward at first and it did take a couple tries to get the hang of it. But I got it. The only problem I had was that it didn't seem like I got as close and smooth of a shave as with the razor I had been using previously. So I stopped using it. However, I'm seeing so many of you on here raving about now, so I think I may try it again. I actually, still have the old Headbade from, like, 5 or 6 years ago. I just need blades for it. The Headslick and Headlube both look pretty cool too. I've seen those in drug stores and have been curious to try it.

Offline baldvinny

• Baron Of The Bald
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • "Feel My F'n GROOVE!"
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 01:38:46 PM »
hey lostnfound....give it a try, and pay special attention to the instructions. if you lay the HB flat on your head with no pressure, you should get the optimal blade angle for the best shave

also, it helps to prepare your scalp as much as possible. nice hot water to open the pores, wash at least with soap (if not an exfoliator) and use a good shave creme and you'll be golden

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 03:39:11 PM »
I'm with Vinny I can't say enough good things about HeadBlade. Great ideas and great products. I've never had a negative thing to say about them or the product.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 04:22:22 PM »
Of course don't forget aboud Head Slick. That stuff rocks. I feel great after a good shave with the menthol! Even when I'm out of headblades I use it.

Noner

Offline Switch

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 04:27:32 PM »
Vinny, amazing review. I personally love the Headblade products. i have been shaving my head with the headblade every other day for a solid year. The company is amazing and the products far exceeded any of my expectations. Anyone who shaves Anything Anywhere should use Headslick as their shaving cream. It is truly lightning in a bottle.

Peace and Love
-Switch "The Prodigy" Noblitt

Offline Switch

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 10:18:43 AM »
anyone know how the Headblade Doubleblade razors are?
-Switch "The Prodigy" Noblitt

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: The HeadBlade Line - Sport Model
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 06:33:50 PM »
I received my Headblade Sport while I was on vacation and used it for the first time today along with the HeadSlick shaving cream.

I have to say, I was a little nervous pulling that little machine out of the package as I normally use an electric razor to shave.  I had also read of a couple people needing a few tries with the Headblade before they were able to use it without getting a cut or two (this was probably due to much pressure on the blade).

So, I pulled that little machine out of the package, skimmed the instructions, grabbed the HeadSlick and jumped in the shower.  I lathered up the HeadSlick in my hands and spread it on the dome.  Next I grabbed the Headblade and looked at it for a bit to determine if I was going to go back to front, or front to back.  I decided on back to front; placed the Headblade around my right middle finger, then moved it to the upper part of my neck, making sure to have the wheels positioned on my neck.

I then proceeded to move on with my first stroke with the Headblade going all the way from the back to the front.  I was highly impressed with the ease of the motion and how smooth the blade slid accross my scalp.  First stroke, no cuts!  This motion provides an "against the grain" cut on the back of the head and a "with the grain" cut on the top of my head.

I then proceeded to shave the right side of my head, gaining more and more confidence with every stroke of the Headblade.  After that, contrary to the recommendations in the manual, I continued to use my right hand to shave the left side of my head.  I only switched to my left hand to get around the ears.  The ears were a little difficult to navigate around with the headblade, so I had to use other razor to clean up the ears when I was shaving my face.  Though, I'm sure with practice I can eliminate the need for the other razor.

Once I was done with the back to front motion I tuned the Headblade around did another pass from front to back.  Overall this was a much quicker shave than I'm used to, eventhough it was my first time.  This was all without any cuts too!  The shave I got was VERY smooth...feeling even more SLY!  ;)

I then threw some HeadLube on the dome and headed out to work.

I'm really impressed with the Headblade and have decided that it will now be my razor of choice going forward!  Headblader population +1!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 06:37:30 PM by Tyler »
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline baldvinny

• Baron Of The Bald
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • "Feel My F'n GROOVE!"
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 08:41:51 PM »
welcome to the darkside