Author Topic: So,where do i start?  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Tagus

• Sly Jr.
So,where do i start?
« on: April 10, 2010, 05:45:19 PM »
I´ve been here in this forum from sometime reading the advice and conversations about accepting baldness.

So,i´ve reached a point where skin is starting to show up on top so i think this is it time to embrace it and shave it all.

The problem is i don´t know if i should buy an electric razor and shave it at 1# guard and then use Mach3 of Fusion to shave the rest or if it should stay with a 1# shave first.

Should i buy an Headblade? They seem quite adequate to us  ;D

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: So,where do i start?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »
1. Clipper--no guard.
2. Hot shower, emphasis head
3. Razor--new blade cartridge
4. Slowly follow the contours of you dome
5. Rinse, astringent, aftershave balm
6. ENJOY

It's really that simple, further informations--board on How to Shave Your Head.
You're really going to like this.  30 days.

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:19:39 PM »
 You`ve been a member since 2007 !   Your brain must be overflowing with useful information by now .
 If not ; See above post . . .    ::)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 11:22:14 PM »
Give the HeadBlade a try.  Many of us use it an really like it.  Remember to keep pressure off of the blades regardless of which razor you use.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Tagus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 06:48:57 AM »
aarrggh, i´m susprised i´m here from 2007 and never did anything  :P

I wanted to know from the available options which one to try first...i think i will give Fusion a try first and then buy Headblade to give it a try when i get used to my new look.

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 08:26:35 AM »
If you already own the Fusion then use that otherwise I'd start with the HeadBlade.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 09:29:17 AM »
Fabio the key is to just do it.   Many of us started with #3, then #2, then #1, then no guard, then wood.  We all ended up with the shaved look and all wondered why we didn't do it sooner.   So follow the lead and just take it all the way off.  You won't understand how great it feels and looks until you take it all the way off.    Fusion, Mach, headblade, machete, string trimmer -- doesn't matter what you use.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 11:06:40 AM »
Fabio the key is to just do it.   Many of us started with #3, then #2, then #1, then no guard, then wood.  We all ended up with the shaved look and all wondered why we didn't do it sooner.   So follow the lead and just take it all the way off.  You won't understand how great it feels and looks until you take it all the way off.    Fusion, Mach, headblade, machete, string trimmer -- doesn't matter what you use.

Todd is hitting right on the nose - - -if you don't like it, it grows back  - -always remember that  - -

Now go for it and enjoy being SLY BALD

Offline Tagus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »
Alright guys thanks for your advise although i´m still a bit scared how will i look and what the reactions of friends and family will be.

I just have one doubt...my english isn´t the best. When you speak about the "guard" do you mean the length of the cut? Like number #3,number #2 etc?

When i´m checking to buy electric machines there´s different options like cutting guides with 3-18mm and 21-36mm and then there´s precision guides with values from 0,5-2,5 mm.

If i could cut with a 0,5mm length it would be good for a start :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:52:58 PM by FabioM »

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 11:22:30 PM »
You are correct, Fabio. The guard number determines the length of hair remaining after the cut. 0,5mm will get you pretty close to the bone and make it easy to shave clean from there. Go for it!  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 07:01:42 AM »
Take the plunge and go for the shortest possible and then follow Saintc's recommended steps.  The hardest part of the whole process is turning the clippers on and taking that first swipe across your head.   We've all felt anxious about taking that step.   Speaking from experience, the sooner you shave it all off the sooner you'll experience the relieve of having made the transition.   Like so many have said before -- the worst look is a balding guy who's losing his hair.    The best look is sly. 

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 07:24:04 AM »
I would advise that you skip the Headblade for now.  There is too much of a learning curve to worry about.  Use the fusion, It will be harder to cut your head with it.  Get a pair of clippers and just use the metal part with no guard.  Then take a shower to get rid of the aftermath and to soften up your hair.  Then lather it up with some good quality shave cream/soap and TAKE YOUR TIME SHAVING.  Can't say how important that is.  Rinse with Cold water.  Then put on some aftershave w/o alcohol in it.  That being said,  I used an electric the first time I shaved mine smooth.  But I already owned it.  It didn't last very long after I started shaving regularly.  So I would advise you use a blade. O0