Author Topic: Religon  (Read 52140 times)

marty22

Re: Religon
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2011, 01:25:05 PM »
extremely unique there Daven.

BBCAlex

« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2011, 01:56:34 PM »
I use the Merriam-Websters definition of atheism to describe myself: atheism-a disbelief in the existence of deity. I would never claim that I know that there are no gods but likewise those who make the extraordinary claim that there are gods have yet to provide verifiable emperical evidence to support their hypothesis. If said evidence ever is produced to support the supernatural hypothesis I will be happy to change my mind to fit the evidence.

Offline texanron

• Sly
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2011, 04:06:44 PM »
I'm adding you to my prayer list Alex.

BBCAlex

« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2011, 08:04:18 PM »
I'm adding you to my prayer list Alex.

Go for it. What do I care if you talk to yourself?  8)

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »
I use the Merriam-Websters definition of atheism to describe myself: atheism-a disbelief in the existence of deity. I would never claim that I know that there are no gods but likewise those who make the extraordinary claim that there are gods have yet to provide verifiable emperical evidence to support their hypothesis. If said evidence ever is produced to support the supernatural hypothesis I will be happy to change my mind to fit the evidence.

Seems like a dangerous thing to question God's existence in his presence...LOL

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2016, 08:07:47 PM »
I am a Christian, but the denominations I’ve practiced my faith have changed a couple of times. My father’s side of the family is Anglican, and my mother’s side is Roman Catholic. My paternal grandfather was actually an Anglican catechist in my parents’ native country. I was baptized in the Episcopal, or what I call Americanized Anglican, church. I attended a Lutheran church with my family for a few years growing up. We had some Lutheran family friends who invited us to their church, and my mother enjoyed the style of worship. That’s why we started attending regularly. I eventually returned to my roots and received my confirmation in the Episcopal Church. As I got older, I started drifting away from Episcopalianism and becoming more drawn to Roman Catholicism. I attended Catholic churches occasionally as a teen and loved the overall atmosphere. I have left the Episcopal Church, and decided the Roman Catholic Church is where I belong. I believe a person’s choice of religion is more than what teachings an individual is comfortable with. I believe it’s also where one feels most connected with the Holy Spirit.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #171 on: August 24, 2016, 11:19:54 AM »

Seems like a dangerous thing to question God's existence in his presence...LOL

Since it is said that the god that is mostly worshipped here in the USA created us in his image I would tend to think that he, like us, has a brain. That being the case I tend to think that he would be a bit miffed at any of us who chose not to use the brain and just followed a particular religion blindly and never questioned anything we were told regardless of how bizarre it sounded.
As for myself I tend to be what I would refer to as an agnostic anti-theist which could be interpreted as I don't know if there are gods at work or not but then neither does anybody else. That being said I am against the idea of organized religion. It seems that it is a control mechanism that is used by whoever happens to be in authority at the moment to keep those of us who live in the real world on our best behavior. As Napoleon said "religion was invented to keep the poor from murdering the rich". But I'm a live and let live kind of guy. I don't try to convince anyone else that they are wrong for doing something that may make them feel better. I do expect the same courtesy in exchange, however, and on the few occasions that I have been confronted by someone who takes it upon themselves to convince me of the error of my ways I spare no expense in leaving them shaking their heads as I turn my back on them and walk away.
And let us never forget that we are all atheists. People who acknowledge their atheism just believe in one less god than those who are deeply religious.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2016, 04:14:13 PM »
Michael that reminds me of one of my uncles through marriage, his name is Ron so everyone calls him Auntie Ron. In our area there are lots of Mormons, most of them go to one church that is normal church sized. They have 5 services a day because there are so many of them. Right now they are working on building a second church. They are always very nice. Also we have either Amish or Mennonites, I cant remember which they are but they run a bakery and have some of the best baked goods.

I would really like to visit a Mormon church. Mormons have a traditional, yet unique kind of faith and are friendly from what I'm aware of. Even though I'm committed to a particular denomination, I'm open to visiting different types of churches.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 04:24:50 PM by BigKen »

Offline flattopcat

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2016, 08:57:59 PM »
 :/O. I strongly belive in feeding christians to the LIONS!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2016, 09:21:28 PM »
:/O. I strongly belive in feeding christians to the LIONS!

Not a good introductory post.  We generally don't allow religion or politics to be discussed here but so far this has been a respectful conversation - until now.  There will be no further warnings.  Anyone who posts anything inflammatory will be banned.

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2016, 08:31:15 AM »
*Gives a high five to everyone who's posted in here, so far* When I saw this topic created, I thought to myself "This one has potential for becoming a major flame war!" And I haven't even seen a wisp of smoke so far...God job, everybody! O0

Yes....GREAT JOB yooz guyz !!

Bible-believing, Spirit-filled Christian here too.  Grew up Roman Catholic.  Radically saved in 1991 after the music biz left me flat on my back in a rehab center for alcohol and cocaine.  Got my degree in Theology in 1997 and went on to graduate studies in Theology.  Switched my graduate major to MBA studies in Accounting and Finance in 1999....been in corporate finance ever since.

Been members of Baptist Churches, Presbyterian Churches and non-denominational churches since '91....playing the drums on their worship teams.  All VERY GOOD BIBLE-TEACHING churches.   Now attend Calvary Chapel of South Denver (non-denominational).

Cool background Robmeister; we should talk sometime!

Offline slyguy82

• Learning the way of Sly
  • newly sly...
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2016, 06:38:58 PM »
I guess you could say I'm a seeker...I grew up in an atheist household, but lately I've been really attracted to the idea of a God. Not sure if I'm changing my mind, but I can't really shake the feeling that I need to look into it. Any advice?

Offline Wicked_Ripper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2016, 01:10:39 AM »
Atheist here.
No, I won't flame or blame any religious people, I'm just over it :)

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2016, 06:19:50 AM »
My answer mirrors wicked ripper's.

I actually grew up surrounded by many Christian family members and friends but it never really did anything for me.   I've tried.  Too many horrible life occurrences have prevented me from gaining faith that I never even had in the first place.  Types of situations where people usually "find god" I've actually strengthened my disbelief as a result of.  I have no issue at all with other peoples beliefs and find it so beautiful that we are beings to a level of intelligence that allows for us examine all possibilities and decide for ourselves what we feel is the just way to live.  I've also extensively studied history (which by default includes religion) and found one common theme amongst most, if not all, religions: don't be a dick! That's basically it.  All religions are just different titles and practices of being the best person you can be so while I don't personally believe on "god" or "gods" I do firmly believe in being the best person to your fellow man/woman you can at all times and that is the same wether you are Christian, jewish, Muslim, voodoo... Whatever really, just be nice to eachother! Haha

With all of that being said I do need to flat out say, the whole "invisible sky wizard" thing just will never jive with me. Sorry. 

I really hope this doesn't get me banned as I love this forum and meant no disrespect by my feelings.  I don't take offense when people talk about their belief so I hope no one takes offense when I talk about my lack of.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2016, 10:16:21 AM »
My answer mirrors wicked ripper's.

I actually grew up surrounded by many Christian family members and friends but it never really did anything for me.   I've tried.  Too many horrible life occurrences have prevented me from gaining faith that I never even had in the first place.  Types of situations where people usually "find god" I've actually strengthened my disbelief as a result of.  I have no issue at all with other peoples beliefs and find it so beautiful that we are beings to a level of intelligence that allows for us examine all possibilities and decide for ourselves what we feel is the just way to live.  I've also extensively studied history (which by default includes religion) and found one common theme amongst most, if not all, religions: don't be a dick! That's basically it.  All religions are just different titles and practices of being the best person you can be so while I don't personally believe on "god" or "gods" I do firmly believe in being the best person to your fellow man/woman you can at all times and that is the same wether you are Christian, jewish, Muslim, voodoo... Whatever really, just be nice to eachother! Haha

With all of that being said I do need to flat out say, the whole "invisible sky wizard" thing just will never jive with me. Sorry. 

I really hope this doesn't get me banned as I love this forum and meant no disrespect by my feelings.  I don't take offense when people talk about their belief so I hope no one takes offense when I talk about my lack of.

As a moderator here, one of my key responsibilities (which I love) is to ensure that no member is harassed because of his/her religious, political, partner preference. Your beliefs and lifestyle will never get you banned here .
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.