Author Topic: My best advice for newbies shaving their heads  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Vince

• Sly Jr.
My best advice for newbies shaving their heads
« on: August 23, 2016, 07:02:55 AM »
Hi guys,

Although I have only been shaving my head since June 24 of this year.  I have been extremely successful with it.  So far to date, I have not cut myself once.

The best piece of advice I can give any newbies about shaving their heads to prevent cuts is this:

LET THE RAZOR DO THE WORK

I think as men we have a tendency to use power and force to accomplish what we want.  Everyone wants a smooth dome.  So naturally, it would just seem like the harder you pressed the razor, the smoother shave you would get.  However, when it comes to head shaving, that is not the case at all.  The harder you press that razor, the more likely you will end up cutting yourself.

A few light passes is far better than one hard pass.

Of course there are many other tips out there.  I just felt the need to share this one.  Hopefully it will save a few newbies from cutting themselves unnecessarily in the future. :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 07:05:22 AM by Vince »

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
Re: My best advice for newbies shaving their heads
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 08:25:04 AM »
Excellent suggestion Vince, and I believe newbies should refrain from shaving ATG initially. it cause to much irritation and ingrown hairs.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »
Good advice. Also, I have found the fewer the number of blades in the razor, the less irritation.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Vince

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 04:01:56 AM »
Magoo and reddog,
Excellent tips as well mates!!!

Anyone else want to add to these tips for newbies?  Feel free to go right ahead.  O0

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 08:24:23 AM »
Experiment with different blades as well until you find the one that works best for you. For me its mach 3, for others it may be fusion, a de, straight razor, you name it. Also i found that what works for face, or other body areas you may shave, doesnt necessarily work for shaving your head. I shaved evrrything fron nose to toes for manybyears before shaving my head, and i assumed i would be able to get good results from the same razor i had been using. WRONG. Didnt even get 2 or 3 strokes in before i realized that blade jusg we wouldn't cut it. Luckily for me, my buddy who was helping me do it for the first time had some unused cartriges for his really nice razor his gf had given him as a gift recently, so we used those instead. Got a much better shave than i would have with my razor. But still not as good as when i tried mach 3 about 3 weeks later after using headblade for a while  (which also wasnt as good).
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline Vince

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 06:17:08 AM »
amatlock,
Yeah, that's some good advice.  The first time I shaved my head without doing any sort of research at all, I used the same razor I use for my face.  It took me forever to get the job done and I wasn't really happy with the experience.

After finding this forum and watching some youtube videos, I selected the Bic Flex 4.  It worked so well on my head!  No nicks, no cuts, just a smooth quick shave every time.  So I guess I got lucky.  I love this razor for shaving my head and have no plans on switching.

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 09:07:08 AM »
amatlock,
Yeah, that's some good advice.  The first time I shaved my head without doing any sort of research at all, I used the same razor I use for my face.  It took me forever to get the job done and I wasn't really happy with the experience.

After finding this forum and watching some youtube videos, I selected the Bic Flex 4.  It worked so well on my head!  No nicks, no cuts, just a smooth quick shave every time.  So I guess I got lucky.  I love this razor for shaving my head and have no plans on switching.

Glad for you that you found one that works well for u so quickly. Mach 3 is the best ive used thus far, nearly 9 months into being bbc, but at times i think  i want to try something else to see if theres anything better for me out there. Definitely want to give a straight razor a try, but am afraid of doing it myself, so my plan is to treat myself to a luxury barbershop headshave at someplace that uses them as a birthday/ christmas gift to myself come december, since that also coincides with my one year sly anniversary

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 09:49:39 AM »
Ha! Amatlock, I was just thinking of getting a barbershop headshave as a birthday treat in December.

I have gotten a barbershop shave two times before. Neither went atg, so I can do a much smoother shave at home. I'm thinking about going to the Art of Shaving at the Mall of America. More money, but should be a good experience.

I found a barber school in St Paul that does a straight razor headshave for 9.50. Would anyone consider letting a student take a straight razor to your head?
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 11:42:38 AM »
Great advice by all. I just have to add, when shaving your head, please make sure you have enough time to enjoy it. Don't rush a razor headshave; walking around with a bandage on your head isn't cool, though most people won't say anything (at least not out loud)
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 08:41:47 AM »
Ha! Amatlock, I was just thinking of getting a barbershop headshave as a birthday treat in December.

I have gotten a barbershop shave two times before. Neither went atg, so I can do a much smoother shave at home. I'm thinking about going to the Art of Shaving at the Mall of America. More money, but should be a good experience.

I found a barber school in St Paul that does a straight razor headshave for 9.50. Would anyone consider letting a student take a straight razor to your head?

Im in phoenix myself. Theres a place ive heard of, but cant remember the name of at biltmore fashion park mall that i suspect will be my choice of places to go when the time comes. Would love to visit your area to see the mall of america and its indoor amusement park,  if only for its history of having been developed by knotts berry farm, which is my favorite theme park

Enter your email address: