Author Topic: Why not a buzz cut?  (Read 6637 times)

Offline RayJ

• Sly Guy in Training
Why not a buzz cut?
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:01:46 AM »
I am 52 y/o and married.I started losing my hair a few years ago and after my last haircut at a barber,I looked in the mirror and just said to myself "this has to go".I bought a Wahl balding trimmer and after some experimenting with different lengths(going from almost completely bald to a longer buzz),I now usually use the 1/16" guard and buzz my head about twice a week.My wife would like it even longer but my son told me that without a doubt,the 1/16" buzz looked best on me.
    Is there anyone out there who goes with a short buzz instead of completely bald?And,how do y'all think my buzz looks now and how would it compare to completely bald?Thanks

Offline RayJ

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Why not a buzz cut?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 09:02:58 AM »

One more pic

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 09:36:55 AM »
Welcome back, Ray!

Looking at your photos, I think that where you are suits you pretty well. If you are happiest with what is shown in your pictures, then we are happy with you. The main purpose of this forum is to let people know that hair loss is not the end of the world and that the fellas and ladies here are to help with encouragement.

P.S. I do razor shave sometimes, but last summer I underwent a scalp pigmenation (tattoo) procedure to cover up some severe scarring. When I shave, the shadow is still there, but the scars are concealed well, and it gives the appearance of a no-guard haircut. I also sometimes use clippers all over my head when I'm short on time. When I want the look of a completely bald head, I just slap on a light coat of concealer.

P.P.S I deleted your duplicate thread to avoid confusion, but I'm sure some of our buzzers will chime in with their stories. Once again, welcome back!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »
Hi Ray, just my opinion, but I think you should try shaving. It will look great, and the feel of a shaved smooth head is amazing. If you hate it, it will grow back to your current look in about 4 days. Personally, I don't like how I look of a short buzz on me, but love the look when I shave it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline RayJ

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »
Thanks.I've been lurking some but just don't post much.

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 09:43:04 AM »
I give mine a point 5 all over .I haven't done the hole razor to the head thing seems like a lot of work i hate shaving anyway .!! seems to suit you and this way you only have to do it every few days
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 10:10:06 AM »
Ray, the buzz looks fine. And yes I also prefer abuzz cut in the winter months. Maintenance is minimal I cut with no guard and let grow from 1 to 4 wks .
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline RayJ

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:18 AM »
I think that I will stick with the buzz for now.I'm not sure that I would be up to shaving my head on a regular basis.I can buzz it in about five minutes while standing in the bath tub before I take a shower.I am not crazy about how I look with a buzz but it beats the way it looked right after my last pro haircut.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 11:26:29 AM »
That is true, shaving does require some time. I'm a daily shaver with a double edge safety razor, and it takes me close to 30 minutes for head and face. Funny, before I started headshaving, I hated shaving my face, but I thoroughly enjoy my daily headshave.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline HelloFromMontreal

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 04:47:08 PM »
I think it looks fine and it's also if you want to take the plunge and go all in for the lifestyle. I mean, reddog spends 30 minutes a day and he enjoys it but there is no way I'm spending that much time everyday shaving. That's why I prefer the buzz and have a beard :)

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 08:26:02 PM »
Looks good either way but personally I prefer  a smooth dome.  Having said that I am retired and don't need to present every day so I have have found that a shave every 3rd day is fine.  Saves on razors to0.

Personally I would suggest letting the nascent beard grow a bit more and then either a goatee or full beard would look good.

Next time you take a photo please SMILE.  You look very concerned!
Roger

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 09:46:38 PM »
The buzz looks good, and I am sure a razor shave would look better.  If it is the time that concerns you, you can razor shave in the shower with a cartridge razor in 5 minutes once you learn your technique.  Take less time than styling your hair, but I admit not as fast as buzzing a couple of times a week.  The smooth feeling is awesome, and since you hair is gray, the shadow will be invisible.  Well worth the time to me, and maybe wnen you retire you can spent the time that Reddog does with a DE.
SlyBeard

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 09:14:14 AM »
I think that I will stick with the buzz for now.I'm not sure that I would be up to shaving my head on a regular basis.I can buzz it in about five minutes while standing in the bath tub before I take a shower.I am not crazy about how I look with a buzz but it beats the way it looked right after my last pro haircut.

Well you can always try a  " rug " ........LOL.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 10:03:29 AM »
I echo what Harry said so well.

If you are happy with the buzz, then keep it like that. It is a good look for you.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline beardbald

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 01:15:54 PM »
I buzzed mine for years and I was cool and I had no issue. I think the issue is when you do shave regularly you then have an issue with buzz length as you can feel the growth, if you know what I mean.

I suppose for me I have a shadow which makes me more aware of the helicopter landing pad I have on the top of my head. When I shave t's less so.

I cant imagine spending 30 mins  on my head. Mine is done in 2-3 mins but then again i don't perform half the rituals I see people posting about on here. Its just saving gel on. Razor over. Done.