Author Topic: Soon to be sly and bald  (Read 7670 times)

Offline Mantus

• Learning the way of Sly
Soon to be sly and bald
« on: May 23, 2016, 05:44:37 AM »
Hi guys,

This is the first step for me into making a long coming decision. Im 30 years old, 6.6ft and about 18lbs. I have had long hair for the last 15 years and I know that the moment is coming that I have to give in to my bald spot at the top of my head.

I know for sure that I will do it because its starting to bother me. Thanks to the fact that i'm 6.6ft there are not so many people who can actually look at this top, but where ever you are you will have to sit down sometimes  :).

I have been thinking about it for a couple of years now and I know it will happen/must soon. I've talked to a lot of my friends and a lot of people say they believe it will look good in me. I imagine more of you had this and everybody could say so many good things, you will have to make your own acceptance.

So i just registered here to keep you guys posted and maybe get some advice or something. You are already sly bald guys  8)

I thought about making it less difficult and maybe start with making my hair shorter, but since i'm a consultant i do not want to make this more difficult and work out temporary haircuts and getting used to them because there is a big chance that these in-between cuts will not really look good and since the gap on my head, i will have to face baldness eventually i think..

I havent decided to take this to a friend of mine who is a hairdresser or do it myself at home. I know how to do it, but maybe its better/safer to do have a professional help me for the first time.

Well, thats it for now, ill browse the forum for some  tips and stories. I will keep you posted!

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
Re: Soon to be sly and bald
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 06:26:18 AM »
Welcome Mantas,
You definitely have a 'spot' but it may not be as bad as you think.  In this case the long hair may not help as it shows off your crown.  I would suggest that you go for a buzz cut first, if you don't want to go all the way to shaving. you can do this at home if you get some clippers.

Offline Mantus

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 06:36:34 AM »
Welcome Mantas,
You definitely have a 'spot' but it may not be as bad as you think.  In this case the long hair may not help as it shows off your crown.  I would suggest that you go for a buzz cut first, if you don't want to go all the way to shaving. you can do this at home if you get some clippers.
Hi and thanks, I have thought about it and a good thing is I can try it for free :)
I do realise that having long hair makes it more obvious because my hair is lying down... But i'm not sure if my spot is small enough to try a "normal" haircut..

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 07:51:57 AM »
Welcome, Mantus!

Looking from the front and sides, the mane is pretty impressive! But yes the thinning crown does stand out slightly, and kudos to you for not trying to "hang on" If you feel comfortable just going all the way right away, I don't see why you shouldn't though most people take shorter steps. Good luck to you and feel free to ask for advice and tips at any time

P.S. I'm guessing you meant to say you were 6'6" and 180 lbs.  (If you were that tall and only 18 lbs, it's a miracle to be alive! O0)
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mantus

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 08:02:29 AM »
Welcome, Mantus!

Looking from the front and sides, the mane is pretty impressive! But yes the thinning crown does stand out slightly, and kudos to you for not trying to "hang on" If you feel comfortable just going all the way right away, I don't see why you shouldn't though most people take shorter steps. Good luck to you and feel free to ask for advice and tips at any time

P.S. I'm guessing you meant to say you were 6'6" and 180 lbs.  (If you were that tall and only 18 lbs, it's a miracle to be alive! O0)
Hahahaha, thanks for that. I just put it in google since we have meters and kilo's here.  :)

Even though I made it sound like i am fully ready, it is a real big step for me and i do not feel real comfortable about it yet. Some of my friend and my ex gave me some honest suggestions and, you are right; hanging on will not help me in any way. I think for this scenario, it may be better to take the full step..

You guys did make me think about going to my friend, she is a hairdresser. Maybe we'll make it a night with beers and maybe ill try an in between haircut first. If this isnt working for me, I can always decide then what to do...

I read the 30 days part and it seems like a good way to play this game...

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 08:13:12 AM »
Welcome, Mantus!

Hahahaha, thanks for that. I just put it in google since we have meters and kilo's here.  :)

Even though I made it sound like i am fully ready, it is a real big step for me and i do not feel real comfortable about it yet. Some of my friend and my ex gave me some honest suggestions and, you are right; hanging on will not help me in any way. I think for this scenario, it may be better to take the full step..

You guys did make me think about going to my friend, she is a hairdresser. Maybe we'll make it a night with beers and maybe ill try an in between haircut first. If this isnt working for me, I can always decide then what to do...

Hey, man, most people never jump in right away. Everyone in their own time. Even if you do nothing right away, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as like you said, with your height, it would be hard for the average person to see the crown anyway. A good shorter haircut suggestion would be to shave the sides and back and keep the top a little higher like a flattop/fade style haircut. This haircut will allow your crown to blend in somewhat with the shaved sides. Also, when you shave, have you ever thought about donating your hair to charity? Just a suggestion.

P.S. If the crown is bothering you to the point where it's affecting your lifestyle, it may be time to make a change even if it's a small one.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:19:24 AM by SirHarry225 »

Offline Mantus

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 09:05:55 AM »
Welcome, Mantus!

Hey, man, most people never jump in right away. Everyone in their own time. Even if you do nothing right away, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as like you said, with your height, it would be hard for the average person to see the crown anyway. A good shorter haircut suggestion would be to shave the sides and back and keep the top a little higher like a flattop/fade style haircut. This haircut will allow your crown to blend in somewhat with the shaved sides. Also, when you shave, have you ever thought about donating your hair to charity? Just a suggestion.

P.S. If the crown is bothering you to the point where it's affecting your lifestyle, it may be time to make a change even if it's a small one.
I really do like that suggestion! Ill look it up and see what the possibilities are! I've had some familiy members in need for hair so this is definately an option!

Well, you just pinpointed the cause of my decision. When I'm with friends I still think that, because people almost never look on the top of my head, it isnt that big of an issue yet. Maybe a small one. The problem is mostly coming from my daily job and I don't think its looks very professional when you have long hair and are balding.. (And yes, I do think that long hair isnt an issue :) )

I called my friend today and we set some options for a date next week. We'll have the entire night and have a few beers about it and just see where we end up. No rush.

This is going to be a long week i think, living up to it  ???

And yes, this is something which has to happen and aint a surprise. Though I wouldnt want to call it a small change  ;)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 09:13:17 AM by Mantus »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 09:15:21 AM »
It may be a heavy weight on your shoulders now, but after you take even the smallest step, it will lift a big weight off. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes. We're here for support, questions or whatever, you're among friends here.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 09:20:55 AM »
I think you should take the plunge and go for a very short buzzcut. That way it's done all at once, and people will only have reactions once. After a while when you get used to it, you might want to try shaving it, it's awesome when your head is smooth! Once you're buzzed, you'll think 1000 lbs has been lifted off of your shoulders.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 09:27:18 AM »
Hour height is a definite advantage, I am not as tall as you but similarly you think the thinning is not as noticeable when its higher than everyone else. Then I saw a picture of myself which had the back of my head.  Mine was a LOT worse than yours so I just started going shorter and shorter and then shaved.  No one has said anything.  Its so often a concern people have, 'what will everyone else say' but more often than not they don't actually care what you look like, its much more our own worry about how we are seen.  Take control of your own destiny.
Good luck

Offline Mantus

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 03:06:12 PM »
It may be a heavy weight on your shoulders now, but after you take even the smallest step, it will lift a big weight off. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes. We're here for support, questions or whatever, you're among friends here.
Perfect man, thanks!

I think you should take the plunge and go for a very short buzzcut. That way it's done all at once, and people will only have reactions once. After a while when you get used to it, you might want to try shaving it, it's awesome when your head is smooth! Once you're buzzed, you'll think 1000 lbs has been lifted off of your shoulders.
I really hope so! There is just now way of telling how it will look afterwards for me since my ponytail has become a part of my head...
I do realise that doing things right the first time works best!

Hour height is a definite advantage, I am not as tall as you but similarly you think the thinning is not as noticeable when its higher than everyone else. Then I saw a picture of myself which had the back of my head.  Mine was a LOT worse than yours so I just started going shorter and shorter and then shaved.  No one has said anything.  Its so often a concern people have, 'what will everyone else say' but more often than not they don't actually care what you look like, its much more our own worry about how we are seen.  Take control of your own destiny.
Good luck
Fully agree there! True words! And yes, the first step is offcourse my own opinion and this is the actual concern there. I guess everything takes a little time to get used to. I do think that the transition from long hair to no hair is pretty noticable  :)

I will keep you guys posted!

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »
I know where you're coming from man! I had a huge bald spot located at my crown too. When I noticed how big mine was, I buzzed shorter with every hair cut and before long, I shaved it completely. I was apprehensive of what people would think too but everyone loved it. Most importantly, I did too and still do. It's been two years now and I never plan on being anything but bald for the rest of my life. There is nothing like having a smooth dome going into work everyday. It's amazing!

Offline Mantus

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 03:14:38 AM »
I know where you're coming from man! I had a huge bald spot located at my crown too. When I noticed how big mine was, I buzzed shorter with every hair cut and before long, I shaved it completely. I was apprehensive of what people would think too but everyone loved it. Most importantly, I did too and still do. It's been two years now and I never plan on being anything but bald for the rest of my life. There is nothing like having a smooth dome going into work everyday. It's amazing!
Oh man, I really hope that i'll be saying the same thing in two years  O0

Offline Balderenz

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 04:58:58 AM »
Id say buzz it down! you saw how mine looked and i think your thicker in the front than me. also because of your height that "crown" won't be noticeable with a buzz. Someone spotted mine because they were looking intensely at my head right after i buzzed it. they said "ur getting a little birds nest back here", i told them "its a feasting ground for young chicks". I think it made sense i came up with it on the spot. Anyway, coming from someone younger than you who just took the plunge AND had nice long thick hair like you, i can say its liberating and i feel 10x more confident knowing I'm not hiding anything anymore.  Good luck! ill be waiting for the pics!

Offline Mantus

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »
Id say buzz it down! you saw how mine looked and i think your thicker in the front than me. also because of your height that "crown" won't be noticeable with a buzz. Someone spotted mine because they were looking intensely at my head right after i buzzed it. they said "ur getting a little birds nest back here", i told them "its a feasting ground for young chicks". I think it made sense i came up with it on the spot. Anyway, coming from someone younger than you who just took the plunge AND had nice long thick hair like you, i can say its liberating and i feel 10x more confident knowing I'm not hiding anything anymore.  Good luck! ill be waiting for the pics!
My apologies my friend for responding quite late!
Thanks for your nice words! Its good to hear from someone in exactly the same position!

So the date is set, next week on friday I'm going to take it all down and I must say that i´m weirdly looking forward to it and want it to be over with. Also thanks to all your nice responses :)

Since I will never take the time to shave daily in the future, I already looking for a nice shaver!  8)

I will definately post my pics after its done!

Enter your email address: