Author Topic: Earrings in the workplace  (Read 42190 times)

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
Re: Earrings in the workplace
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »
imho, boys wear them to show off.
when they reach the maturity and think that it was all in vain, they'll quit it.
I never had one, or a tatoo, or any kind of "cool" stuff.

This is a ridiculous set of statements. I had an earring when i was younger and wore it for years. I got it for me and nobody else and I never cared what anyone else thought of it. I stopped wearing it only because my niece, who was three years old at the time, asked me to stop wearing it.
And oh yeah.... I have three tattoos.... two of which are very large. Again.... I couldn't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks of them. I got them for me and not because I thought they were "cool".
What's really "cool" is not having to worry about whether or not other people think you're "cool". Seems to me "someone" should read Vash's excellent post from the other day.

I work in an office with a LOT of professionals. I myself am classified as Senior Professional. You name it this place has it.... everything from ear rings, to tattoos, to transvestites, to shaved heads, etc., etc.. I think it depends on the progressive outlook of the powers that be... as well as the part of the country(or world) you are in.

I personally like people of all types and NEVER, EVER judge people on such superficial things as earrings, tattoos, haircuts, etc.. I generally get along with every type that you can imagine because I love people and i love life. The kind of people I don't get along with are shallow minded, judgemental, prejudiced, dickheads.

AMEN! HALLELUJAH!

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 02:10:40 AM »
My boss bless her Linda , does not give a monkey,s tit what you wear and not really interested in modest jewllery , she is more interested in your ability to do the job and get it done , thats the way it should be .

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 06:34:23 AM »
I guess it just depends on what country or culture that you live in.

Offline fanta

• Bald By Choice
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 06:19:27 AM »
Hi everybody,

I just wanted to have your opinion.

Of course, not all workplaces accept earrings for men. But for those who accept, which size could be a "limit" for ear stretching. I mean, it's becoming more and more popular and accepted, but I wondered at which size it could, in your opinion, a problem.

Thanks for your help :)

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 06:52:39 AM »
   If you like them and want to wear them..............I could care less.

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 11:02:01 AM »
All down to workplace requirements and personal tastes. My workplace asks any employees to remove nose studs, lip rings, big earings, because we go into schools and meetings around child protection issues and it isnt deemed professional.

My personal taste is that I dont like tattoos or extreme piercings. Bit old fashioned like that! the ear piercings where the ear gets stretched out big freaks me out!

But again, it's up to the individual. If you want a career in a certain field, then you have to adapt your look I guess

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 03:09:00 AM »
I was invited to a board meeting of a Fortune 500 corporation. Some of the members did have one, a few, two, but the most noticeable "ring" was their senior counsel who had a pierced septum and a bull ring through it. Of course, he didn't have any earrings.

What you wear has a bearing on how accepted it may be. This is personal taste but some young man with tunnels that you could drive a Volkswagen through has already made a statement of some sort. It might be hard for many "corporate cultures" to accept something like that. It's also about the person, if they're basically likable and make an effort to integrate themselves into their situation then their selection in jewelry or tats is probably going to be more accepted.

I'm a corporate officer, didn't start getting ink until I was in my late 60's and now have ten rather large ones. (32" wide and 17" high for my chest piece.) I'll eventually have at least one sleeve and it's quite likely they'll say, "look at that old fool, trying to be young." But this is what I would have done when I was young had I not grown up in the era of conformity and repression.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 04:05:16 AM »
Through my years in the military, I have met many men and women with piercing holes....and not just in the ears. For obvious reasons, men are not allowed to wear earrings of any kind on duty and women's earrings choices are pretty limited. I have seen many tattoos, which are permitted as long as they are in areas that can be covered by the uniform, especially when wearing the dress blues uniform. Many of the guys have the holes and/or covers that Bill mentioned, but once off duty they wore them (except in a combat zone). I never paid attention to either, because it was more about getting yourself and your brothers and sisters in arms home safely....At my civilian job, I have seen a few guys wear a stud but the dress code is pretty lax, as the majority of us are going to get dirty at some point. I guess this adds up to the old adage (in most cases) "When in Rome, do as the Romans do....
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 06:43:05 AM »
It's pretty common in my type of work. Typically at least one in three guys has their ears or other parts pierced and plenty of tats. Most of the guys have their ears gauged at least some. Mine are at a 6g, but honestly it wasn't even a matter of being interested in stretching. My lobes are just too darn fat to heal properly with normal earrings, so I started at 12g. Every now and then I get the urge to go up a size, but I don't see me getting up to the ginormous plugs some of the dudes are sportin.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »
Depends on where you work and what you are doing and want to do.  I have no problems with different items but a person has to use the Golden Rule.  Understand your job and how it will effect it .  If you want to get to the top.  If you dicide to change jobs, and can't wear large earing's and you have to take them out are you going to have to saggy bobb's with holes in them hanging .  Looking like  ;D
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
But this is what I would have done when I was young had I not grown up in the era of conformity and repression.

+1 for sure.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 06:55:18 PM »
I have one ear gauges to 6mm at the moment, have the other pierced but nothing in it.

I also have my lipped pierced.

I work in an office environment and it hasn't caused me any bother TBH.
Lynchy

Offline TxTa2Guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald By Choice since August 24, 2009
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 01:35:45 PM »
imho, boys wear them to show off.
when they reach the maturity and think that it was all in vain, they'll quit it.
I never had one, or a tatoo, or any kind of "cool" stuff.
GEE Paul, I doubt anyone would have doubted that you would NEVER have had ANY kind of "cool" stuff. Anything "cool" would obviously be totally out of character for you.

I agree completely with friend Mikekoz13:
I got them for me and not because I thought they were "cool".
What's really "cool" is not having to worry about whether or not other people think you're "cool".

I was fifty years old when I got my first tattoo, on a Friday before I went to court, not as the criminal defendant (as Paul would probably assume), but as the attorney for a corporate client.  But I suppose I had not then "reach[ed] the maturity" as you so eloquently put it, because I didn't get my ears pierced until a few years later.

Again, Mikekoz13 perfectly explained my opinion about the "Paul the Headblader" post:
The kind of people I don't get along with are shallow minded, judgemental, prejudiced, dickheads.

I think it strange, not to mention hypocritical, that a Headblader would find it necessary to marginalize and slander a rather large segment of the members of the SBG fellowship.  But I doubt many of us were personally offended.  I was just embarrassed that a fellow Sly Bald Guy would be so damned ignorant.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »
Just one "captured bead."  But I'm in an environment where you can get away with almost anything (as long as it's legal), even if an earring is nearly unheard of in my colleagues.  They might think certain things, but nothing negative can be done (if some folks should feel they would like to).

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 04:11:17 AM »
Just one "captured bead."  But I'm in an environment where you can get away with almost anything (as long as it's legal), even if an earring is nearly unheard of in my colleagues.  They might think certain things, but nothing negative can be done (if some folks should feel they would like to).

I suppose being the supreme ruler of the universe has its perks