Author Topic: nm  (Read 14066 times)

Offline cincydavid

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: My scalp is breaking out in back- Can you diagnose me? (pics)
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 01:06:30 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:25:06 PM by cincydavid »

Offline cincydavid

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 01:08:13 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:25:25 PM by cincydavid »

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »
I did break out badly when I started using Bald Guyz Gel.  There's something in that mixture that my scalp doesn't like.  As soon as I switched back to head slick the problem went away. 

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 08:34:29 PM »
i heard shaving against the grain with some individuals can give some nasty ingrown hairs. so that may be the cause, you may just want to go see a dermatologist again. and if its cleared up by then show him the pics and see what he says
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline GnomeansGno

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 01:14:09 AM »
You have Scalp folliculitis.  I'm still currently dealing with the same problem, though it's gotten much better thanks to going to a dermatologist.  First he gave me evoclin foam, which I still use twice a day.  It took a bit of time to work, but I saw a massive improvement.  I still wasn't satisfied though, as I still got minor break-outs from time to time.  I decided to get a second opinion from another dermatologist.  He prescribed me Sulfameth/Trimethoprim 800/160.  Believe it or not, this actually made my problem worse at first.  I got a bad break out for the first time in months, and it almost gave me a heart attack.  I called him right away and told him what happened, and he said it's a side effect of that particular medication.  He said give it a week, and if it doesn't clear up, to come back.  I then gave it a week, and my scalp cleared up dramatically.  I literally had maybe one or two bumps.  It was the best my scalp looked in a LONG time.  That was last week.  A week later, my scalp still looks good, but I have a few more bumps.  Honestly, this is something that's hard to get rid of.  I was told by BOTH dermatologists that it can come and go at anytime, and you just have to keep trying to control it.  It sucks, but that's life.   I was also told that more people have it then you think, only difference is that being bald it's extremely noticeable, where as people with hair it isn't since hair covers it.   Any way, definitely see a dermatologists, and get him to prescribe you something.  Over the counter stuff doesn't work (at least for me it didn't).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:17:29 AM by GnomeansGno »

Offline cincydavid

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 02:48:12 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:26:05 PM by cincydavid »

Offline GnomeansGno

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »

Thanks for that post.  I was able to contact my derm and move my appointment up from 6/8 to 4/27.  Is it possible for them to do a test to determine for certain that it is folliculitis?  I'm pretty certain that it is at this point, but I would like the verification.

Honestly, my derm took a look at it and knew what it was right away.  That said, I would have preferred him to have tested me to see what kind of folliculitis it is (there's different kinds, though they all require similar treatments).  When I go back I'm going to ask him to test what kind of folliculitis it is (assuming it isn't gone).

Also, if it stems from infected hair follicles, would laser surgery be a possible remedy?  

You know, I have read about this before from another people wanting to do it, but I haven't talked to anyone who has done it.  If laser surgery can get rid of folliculitis for good, I'd be all for doing it.  I'd rather never have hair again, if it can get rid of folliculitis for good.  It's better than having to take drugs all of my life to control it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:38:03 PM by GnomeansGno »

Offline Dom_NY

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 03:02:53 AM »
Stop shaving against the grain.  Apply Witch Hazel several times a day and get a prescription for Doryx.

Enter your email address: