Author Topic: no guard buzz  (Read 3209 times)

HoodooMan

no guard buzz
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:38:55 PM »
hi fellas, i've been on and off of this site for several months. i've been shaving/buzzing my head for over a year and a half now. one time during that period i tried to let some hair grow back for about 2 months. big mistake!  i wore hats constantly! i got so much grief from my family over my shaved head i had to try. but, i realized it was no use, i just dug the no hair look much better! plus my mpb hair looks HIDEOUS at any length. i'm 24 and started balding at 17. it was very noticeable by 19. so i've been living the life of hairspray and hats for a long while it seems. i was a prisoner of my hair. 

anyway, i've found that for me, the no guard buzz is the best look i think. i do still ocassionally shave with my mach 3, but only during the summer. i still get so much flack from family when i do it. other times i keep it at a no guard buzz every other day or so. i'm also *trying* to grow a goatee. my family is not blessed with facial hair growing capabilities. in my avatar i've got 2 days growth that i shaped up while i shaved the rest of my face clean. so what do you fellas think of the look? i hope i can pull off a decent goatee, but it's not looking good yet! finally accepting this and keeping it real short has helped me feel much better about myself. anybody else like the no guard buzz? paying for razors and shave equipment was getting much more expensive for me than shampoo, haircuts and whatnot when i had a decent amount of hair also, so i feel this is a good compromise!

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
Re: no guard buzz
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 12:10:13 AM »
I remember your name but don't ever remember your pic, so I'm either getting old or this is the first time you've posted one.  I think you look just fine, and I'm sorry the family still wants to give you grief, but kudos to you for sticking to your guns and doing what you want.  By the way, what you have on the middle of your chin and under the lip is exactly what I don't really have, so between the 2 of us, we could grow a really good goatee.   ;D  Hope you stick around and post more often.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

HoodooMan

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
thanks stu, no you're not getting old! this is the first time i posted a good pic. i had one before that was very distorted. i didn't quite feel that good about my look yet so i didn't put up a decent pic. but now that i've got my confidence back, i've posted a pic. yeah i'm pretty screwed when it comes to hair, i can't grow it on my head, and hardly on my face either! 

it definately took me awhile to stop wearing caps around my family to hide my bald head. now i'm finally to the point to where if they don't like it, too bad! i realized i can't let family or anyone control me in any way. 'live for yourself,' that's my goal

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 05:18:55 AM »
Gotta say it looks good Hoodoo.   I'm a bit biased as I like a really short goat on myself, but I think that it suits the
the buzzed down look really well. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 07:10:50 AM »
Buzz looks fine and great if that's what does it for you.  For you, is the operative phrase.  Re: beards, I found a lot of good information at beards.org, although the reccomendation that you let it grow for a month before shaving was a little beyond my endurance--I modified it to a wide trim, and two weeks, not two days is what now is on my avatar.  Why don't you try a month before doing any further trimming, and maybe let it out a little wider like I'm doing.  You could have more than you think after 30 days.  Note: it starts to sort of itch at two weeks :D.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 08:28:40 AM »
[Why don't you try a month before doing any further trimming, and maybe let it out a little wider like I'm doing.  You could have more than you think after 30 days.  Note: it starts to sort of itch at two weeks :D.
[/quote]

That's good advice from saintc.  BTW the itch does develop but it goes away after a while.  Also I advise using shampoo and conditioner on the goat.  It gives it a softer feel.  Mine feels bristle-like if I don't.

The look is great, bro.

Offline MLNHD

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 10:33:26 AM »
Way to come to grips with mpb, HoodoMan!  The no-guard buzz looks great on you.  The twenty years of buzzing my mpb culminated in just that length for the last couple of years before going completely slick.  For me, I wouldn't trade the daily blade shave for a buzz, because I'm completely hooked on the slick SLY and enjoy the daily shave routine.  Isn't it marvelously freeing to not carry a comb, have to worry about cross-winds, bed hair, hat hair, hair spray, &tc.?! 

RE: family pressure and opinion.  Hang in there.  It's YOUR head, YOUR style, YOUR choice.  They may like it or not, but I'm hoping they will see YOUR unswerving choice as reason to shut their yaps.

Best Wishes,     
Sly addict since July 22, 2007.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 05:11:51 PM »
Looks great. That's what I am working towards

BALDANDRE

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 05:34:24 PM »
Said it in the other post...nice move bro...

you look your age (young) and buzzed bald fits YOU!

Great move dude!

HoodooMan

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 07:40:29 PM »
thanks for the comments fellas! i appreciate the encouragement

Enter your email address: