Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741510 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1590 on: May 15, 2016, 07:49:08 PM »
Sunday, May 15, 2016 SOTD

Enjoyed a very relaxing SOTD using my trusty Weber DLC w/ Graphite Black Bulldog Handle.  Love this razor.  For those who have not tried the Razorock XXX shave soap...I highly recommend.
The performance and scent are out of this world. 

Weber DLC :  RR XXX :  Gillette Platinum Plus :  EverReady 150 w/ TGN Finest :  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1591 on: May 16, 2016, 05:10:29 AM »
Does anyone know how to repair a safety razor that won't screw on/tighten? My trusty Lord razor won't tighten when I insert the blade. I've cleaned it thoroughly and sometimes it won't screw on even without the razor. Regardless, I've decided to keep it even if it's just for display purposes.
If I understand how a Lord razor works, I assume it's a 3-piece.  It sounds like it's stripped.  Sentimental value aside, it might not be worth repairing.  Otherwise, I would think the only way to really repair it would be to re-tap and re-thread.  A good tap & die set might help you here, but if you're not adept at it, you'll likely just destroy it.  If it's worth the trouble, you would probably need to seek out a machinist.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1592 on: May 16, 2016, 05:15:15 AM »
@120:  Hi Matt:  Welcome back bro!  That is a great SOTD pic!

WARHAWK O0
Thank you, sir.  5 1/2 more weeks of not being allowed to lift anything heavier than a coffee cup with my dominant arm, but I'm on the mend.

Hi Matt:  Excellent SOTD pic you got.  Glad that you did not sell the Goose.  That would have been
a sure regret if you did.

WARHAWK  O0
Tell me about it!  Close call.  I don't know what I was thinking!  I guess part of it that that it's the mirror finish.  It takes a bit more post-shave attention to keep it looking shiny.  But it's so pretty, I'm still glad I have the mirror finish.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1593 on: May 16, 2016, 05:17:34 AM »
Sunday, May 15, 2016 SOTD

Enjoyed a very relaxing SOTD using my trusty Weber DLC w/ Graphite Black Bulldog Handle.  Love this razor.  For those who have not tried the Razorock XXX shave soap...I highly recommend.
The performance and scent are out of this world. 

Weber DLC :  RR XXX :  Gillette Platinum Plus :  EverReady 150 w/ TGN Finest :  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

WARHAWK O0
XXX is one of my favorites! Have you tried the Duro formula?  I was wondering if it performs any differently.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1594 on: May 17, 2016, 11:31:16 PM »
Hi Matt:  No. . . I have not tried the Duro formula of the RazoRock XXX.  Was that another edition of the RazoRock XXX?

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1595 on: May 17, 2016, 11:37:50 PM »
Tuesday, May 17, 2016 SOTD

Weber DLC

Gillette Platinum Plus

RazoRock XXX

Semogue 620

Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

[/URL]

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1596 on: May 18, 2016, 04:46:01 AM »
Hi Matt:  No. . . I have not tried the Duro formula of the RazoRock XXX.  Was that another edition of the RazoRock XXX?

WARHAWK O0
Yep.  Right here:  http://www.italianbarber.com/products/limited-edition-razorock-xxx-hard-formula-italian-shaving-soap

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 SOTD

Weber DLC

Gillette Platinum Plus

RazoRock XXX

Semogue 620

Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

[/URL]

WARHAWK O0
Another outstanding SOTD!  I really like Fine's Fresh Vetiver, but like you, I'm not a fan of the Clean version.  I don't know if you've heard, but they re-named Clean to "Green". Fine also released a new sandalwood splash, along with more soaps: http://us9.campaign-archive2.com/?u=ada4e718215b18ee24de3b349&id=aff2b300dc&e=ed8a2c8357

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1597 on: May 18, 2016, 08:47:22 PM »
Bandit Special Edition - Beaver WoodWright & Dr. Jon's Joint Venture

Dr. Jon's - Bandit | Kent V8 (vintage) | 1976 Gillette Black Handle Super-Speed | Treet Platinum Super Stainless (2) | Beaver WoodWright - Bandit

Dr. Jon's and Beaver WoodWright recently launched their joint venture special edition "Bandit" Soap and After Shave Collection.  Given I'm a sucker for both special/limited editions as well as packaging, this was a no-brainer.

This was the first time I'd ever used Dr. Jon's.  First off, for those that don't know, this is a super soft croap.  I would say it's just as soft as RazoRock's Santa Maria Del Fiore.  You could reasonably scoop a dap from the tin and use it like a cream if you were so inclined.  I went ahead and loaded from the puck and added water to the Kent badger knot early in the game as I would expect to do with such a soft croap.  Bandit does not produce a dense lather by any stretch of the imagination.  In fact, it looks poor.  It's not watery, but rather it holds the water quite well.  This yields a thin, but uber slick lather. I didn't think I'd failed on the build and decided this must be what a Dr. Jon's soap is.  So, I cautiously proceeded with the shave.  I can't tell you how surprised I was to find that despite the rather anemic appearance, Bandit was quite protective, and the glide was amazing.  I did the usual WTG/XTG/ATG passes.  A couple clean-up swipes to my parietal region gave me a very nice BBS. (I was able to use my left hand on the left side, for those keeping track.  Progress!).  The residual slickness allowed me to do the clean-up swipes with just a wet palm.  This is probably the slickest soap I've ever used.  I would imagine straight shavers in particular would appreciate Dr. Jon's.  I will be exploring more of Dr. Jon's soaps as a result of this shave.  A caveat is that this may not be the right soap for someone just embarking upon wet shaving as it's actually a terrible example of how a lather is traditionally supposed to look.  If any of my other soaps' lathers looked like this, there would be zero protection and slickness. However, I'm gathering this is characteristic of Dr. Jon's, and the result is a performance that would probably stand up to the top 5% of my artisan soaps.

Now on to the scent.  Initially, Bandit provided a rather bold magnolia with hints of musk.  This is one of the rare cases in which the scent off the puck is pretty close to what you're going to get during the shave.  Early into the first pass, I began to notice hay and finally new warm leather.  I would imagine this is how Bandit's Trans Am smelled after Carrie spent the day in it.  It's quite floral, but has enough leather to keep it masculine if not unisex.

Fortunately, Beaver WoodWright's paired Bandit After Shave duplicates the soap's scent perfectly.  Four hours out, the splash has settled down to warm magnolia and leather.

Post shave feel has left my skin feeling soft and nourished.  Bandit is a winner!

Beaver WoodWright was responsible for the packaging, and it's reminiscent of their winter limited edition Jolly Roger packaging.  The box showcases both Dr. Jon's and Beaver WoodWright's prominent logos, complementary label logos mirroring the actual products, as well as bold lettering in what appears to be close to the "Good Times" font that Pontiac liked to use in it's last generation vehicles.  Jason Kincaid's label art on Dr. Jon's soap is as slick as the soap inside the tin.  Kincaid did a perfect job reproducing the screamin' chicken in the style and paint scheme of Bandit's '77 Trans Am. If you're familiar with Dr. Jon's soaps, you've seen Kincaid's work as he's designed most of their current labels.  Beaver WoodWright's After Shave label was designed by Stacey Kelly of Pixel Initiative.  The theme for the labels is shared, but the styles are just different enough to set them apart as unique artisans. 

This is another welcomed sharing of talents to bring this community a product that is greater than it's parts.  Well done, Beaver WoodWright and Dr. Jon's!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1598 on: May 21, 2016, 06:19:37 AM »
Barrister and Mann - 42 | BSB-Ti w/HMW Extra Dense | Mongoose B3 w/Triad Rolling Hex 316 Stainless
Kai Captain Titan Mild (3) | Barrister & Mann - 42 Tonique

I've been looking forward to this shave.  42, Barrister and Mann's homage to Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, didn't disappoint. Like most B&M soaps, 42 has a complex scent, but is anything but complicated.  This is a bright, clean scent that's coming along at the right time.  While 42 could be enjoyed anytime, the warmer seasons are quite fitting. 

With only a few swirls of the damp HMW knot, the puck quickly released a light, fresh lemony scent.  There was a slight effervescence, but not that of acidic lemon.  Rather it was more akin to alcohol, but without the chemical sharpness.  That note seemed to ride a line with an interesting earthy note that provided some carriage to the lemon, lending a bit of warm beach sand in which the salt in the beach air is substituted with confectioner's sugar.  This sustained sweetness is almost tasted as it reaches the farthest region of the nasal passages and lingers at the distal soft palate.  The lemon sugar notes reminded me of B&M's Winter seasonal "Dickens".  The scent continued to unfold throughout the 3 passes.  There were wafting highlights of what I initially interpreted as bergamot, but I finally settled on tea.  My primary association with tea is specifically Earl Grey tea which is just a black tea that's been infused with bergamot oil.  The citrus and tea notes combined in my head as bergamot.  While bergamot is closer to orange than lemon, the combination imperfectly reminded me of Earl Grey nonetheless.  Interestingly, the tea notes don't linger, but instead whisp in and out.

The Glissant base maintains it's place as my personal benchmark for soap performance.  While it doesn't seem to beg for as much water as my experience with prior B&M formulas, it's still rather thirsty.  I've found that I can leave my knot dampness the same as I do for other soaps, but I just load less soap.  After 3 head and face passes, this method leaves a thinner, but not skimpy, final pass.  The dependable slickness from the Glissant base allows me to get away with a thinner, but sufficient, final pass and ultimately a closer shave.

The matching Tonique leaves the usual silky smooth feeling.  Initially, I noted a blatant but delightful lemon sugar cookie scent, but it dried down to accurately reproduce the soap's notes with the tea continuing to waft in and out in a peculiar but charming manner.

I look forward to revisiting this combination soon.  In the fashion of the story that influenced it, 42 manages to impart a light enjoyable scent, relating a complex tale you don't feel burdened to understand, but rather accept and enjoy the ride.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1599 on: May 22, 2016, 04:56:07 PM »
RazoRock - XXX Limited Edition Formula Duro
BSB-Ti w/HMW Extra Dense
Mongoose B3 w/Triad Rolling Hex 316 Stainless
Kai Captain Titan Mild (1)
RazoRock - XXX

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1600 on: May 25, 2016, 05:11:49 AM »
Barrister and Mann - 42 | BSB-Ti w/HMW Extra Dense | Mongoose B3 w/Triad Rolling Hex 316 Stainless | Kai Captain Titan Mild (2)

Happy Towel Day!

*My apologies.  This photo was to include a cup of tea, but the Nutri-Matic provided me with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1601 on: May 27, 2016, 06:13:39 PM »
Head & face shower shave. 3 days growth.

Technique:  WTG / XTG / ATG/clean-up.
Prep: Shower.     
Soap: Cold River Soap Works - Le Chypre Sombre LE
Brush: BSB-Ti w/HMW Extra Dense
Razor: Mongoose BS w/Triad Rolling Hex 316 Stainless Handle
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild(3)

Cold River Soap Works is another artisan I've been failing to try out.  That ended today.  My well established proclivity for fancy packaging once again proved to be my undoing.  The beautiful hand-crafted Rebecca Wind Pottery bowl was more than I could resist, so I took the bait.  Going into this, I knew next to nothing about CRSW other than they have a good reputation among wet shaving artisans.

The pre-filled bowl came quite securely packaged with the lid inverted and a piece of waxed paper placed between it and the bowl.  The lid was then adequately taped down with painters masking tape, and the whole thing was tightly wrapped in plastic wrap.  It arrived in a box tightly packed with biodegradable packing peanuts.  Along with the personalized "thank you" note was a business card-sized black envelope that was sealed with an emblem seal.  Within the envelope was a card with instructions on how to obtain a replacement puck at a discount.

Believe it or not, the bowl looks even better in person, and it's far more substantial than I was expecting.  Prior to its arrival, I was a little concerned about the possibility of dinging up the fixed ferrule of my BSB-Ti, but the 3.75" diameter mouth allowed plenty of room to load without even grazing the handle.  While the bowl is absolutely gorgeous, I look forward to having this soap in a standard puck, so I don't have to be concerned about breaking it.  I'm a shower shaver, and I recognize it's just a matter of time before calamity strikes.  Fortunately, Larry Jones has indicated he intends to release LCS in a standard tin in the near future.

The bowl has been on my desk since its arrival two days ago, and I find myself frequently pausing to take a whiff.  Le Chypre Sombre is pleasant and robust dry straight from the bowl.  It's bright and mildly soapy with hints of musk and juniper prior to being lathered.  After about three swirls with the slightly damp HMW knot, the musk notes became more prevalent.  Never having used a CRSW product before, I took my time with the load until the knot was at max capacity.  Then I dribbled water directly on the knot and proceeded with a face lather.  This is either a very easy soap to lather, or I just got lucky on the ratio.  I never noticed a paste phase as it went straight to a dense super white lather with incredible sheen that was reminiscent of Saponificio Varesino's Beta 4.1 formula.  Slickness and glide was spot on.  I noted zero drag with the third use of the Kai Captain Titan Mild blade.  As I progressed through the traditional three passes, the scent, which had started as a slightly soapy musk, began to build with darker notes of amber. The soapiness was replaced by leather and woody juniper.  A familiar, almost cedar suggestion latched onto the preexisting musk and surprisingly the sharper citrus notes arrived late, but boldly so, nonetheless.  These citrus notes weren't specific enough for me to identify a particular fruit.  I feel like the amber and musk muted the citrus just enough to keep me from outright calling it bergamot, but they're married so closely as to result in a unique ensemble on its own.

The post-shave was at least as good as my personal benchmark, Barrister and Mann's Glissant.  After a cold water rinse, my scalp was initially tight and squeaky but not tacky, whereas Glissant results in a satiny feel.  As the humidity lifted from the bathroom, however, my scalp felt soft and supple.  I most likely could have skipped the Floïd, but I just wanted to feel the crisp cooling alcohol on this hot, muggy, rainy day.

As many have stated before, there's a ceiling of excellence among soap artisans that just can't be surpassed, given their diligence in achieving perfection.  In fact, I probably have in my collection at least five different soaps that do perform perfectly and even more that can perform perfectly once you adjust for their individual quirks.  Thus the top artisans have to set themselves apart with unique scents and, yes, presentation.  I feel like Cold River Soap Works has done just that with Le Chypre Sombre.

Speaking again to the scent, as is usually my complaint, I need a splash that duplicates LCS.  Sure there are plenty of splashes that may pair well, Floïd Blue being one of them, but I want a splash that is LCS.  I've read rumors that a LCS splash may be in the works, but nothing from the horse's mouth.

As an aside, I have a question for those in the know:  CRSW seems to market Le Chypre Sombre decapitalized as, "le chypre sombre".  Is this just a marketing choice, or is this the proper way to denote it? I understand if used in a sentence in French it would be decapitalized, but as the name of a product, I find it difficult to negate the proper noun.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1602 on: May 28, 2016, 07:41:52 PM »
Hi Matt:  Love all your SOTD pics.  About time you tried out the Cold River Soap Works Select soap.
My favorite is probably the Puro Fresco.  Love that container.  I might have to pull the trigger on that
"42" by Barrister and Mann.  I love their Lavendar/Lime scent. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1603 on: May 28, 2016, 07:45:18 PM »
Saturday, May 28, 2016 SOTD

No pic but here is a YouTube video on my SOTD . . .

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1604 on: May 28, 2016, 07:52:57 PM »
Saturday, May 28, 2016 SOTD

No pic but here is a YouTube video on my SOTD . . .

WARHAWK O0
Nice video, Mel!  Liked!  I heard you say the SR-71 was brass, but what's that finish?  Cerecote?  Seems like a low price for cerecoted brass.