Author Topic: Memorial Day Weekend  (Read 4359 times)

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Memorial Day Weekend
« on: May 27, 2016, 03:14:57 PM »
Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all, especially those who have served in the armed forces.

My dad was a WWII Marine wounded on Iwo Jima.  Memorial Day was always very important to him (although to the end of his life, he called it "Decoration Day"). 

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: Memorial Day Weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 08:19:12 PM »
My parents usually called it decoration day, too.  Decorate the grave sites.

Memorial day weekend was also the early summer birthday party in our family, celebrating all of the May and June birthdays. We had a lot of them. Sometimes it fell on my birthday.

We often attend the memorial service in our small town.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 07:03:58 AM »
Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all, especially those who have served in the armed forces.

My dad was a WWII Marine wounded on Iwo Jima.  Memorial Day was always very important to him (although to the end of his life, he called it "Decoration Day").

My grandmother always called it Decoration Day.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone else refer to it in that way.   Funny how such a simple phrase can bring back some unexpected memories.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 07:29:35 AM »
Yes Happy Memorial Day to all of our veterans. We greatly appreciate you!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 07:37:47 PM »
My dad served about 24 years in the US Navy so this weekend is always special to him
and our family.  Happy Memorial Day to all who served the great USA !!!

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 08:36:34 PM »
Remembering all veterans who gave the ultimate sacrifice...and all of our veterans who passed away.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 05:03:09 AM »
I live three houses away from our town cemetary.  I walked through last night and the vets were there putting out flags on all the graves of veterans. I thanked them for posting the flags.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 02:25:42 PM »
I was listening to talk show radio from Chicago this morning and an alderman and former Vietnam era Marine was speaking.  As a retired Marine my ears perked up to his comments about Memorial Day and I have never heard truer words spoken.  He commented that Memorial Day is not a day for mattress sales, great give-aways and partying but rather a time when every American should be taking time out to remember the sacrifices made by our servicemen in defense of this nation and the world freedom.  All Americans should be taking time out to attend ceremonies in their communities and recognizing those who died for their freedoms.  A creature of habit, I have been attending the same cerremony each year with my college roommate a Vietnam Screaming Eagle for over 40 years.  It is always a moving and emotional event which helps all in attendance to remember.    And as a side note, I too grew up with grandparents who referred to the 30th of May as Decoration Day, a hold over from World War I.     Finally, a big thank you to all my fellow sly guys who have served, are serving, or have had loved ones who have served.   God Bless.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 03:41:13 PM »
I was listening to talk show radio from Chicago this morning and an alderman and former Vietnam era Marine was speaking.  As a retired Marine my ears perked up to his comments about Memorial Day and I have never heard truer words spoken.  He commented that Memorial Day is not a day for mattress sales, great give-aways and partying but rather a time when every American should be taking time out to remember the sacrifices made by our servicemen in defense of this nation and the world freedom.  All Americans should be taking time out to attend ceremonies in their communities and recognizing those who died for their freedoms.  A creature of habit, I have been attending the same cerremony each year with my college roommate a Vietnam Screaming Eagle for over 40 years.  It is always a moving and emotional event which helps all in attendance to remember.    And as a side note, I too grew up with grandparents who referred to the 30th of May as Decoration Day, a hold over from World War I.     Finally, a big thank you to all my fellow sly guys who have served, are serving, or have had loved ones who have served.   God Bless.
Well said, Paul...I know that tomorrow is Memorial Day, but even so, I plan to visit the older veterans at the War Home tomorrow. I have greater respect for those guys because they didn't have many of the things that I had during my career. It's unfortunate that many of our veterans end up in places like these, but I want to do a little something to show my appreciation for all of our older veterans.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 01:18:42 PM »
The name "Decoration Day"began after the American Civil War.  A number of towns in both the North and South lay claim to starting it.  Georgia, Illinois, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and New York all have towns claiming to have the first one.  In April 1886, the Ladies Memorial Association of Columbus, Georgia resolved to commemorate the fallen once a year—a decision that seems to have influenced John Logan to follow suit, according to his own wife.Memorial Day did not become the more common name until after World War II, and was not declared the official name by Federal law until 1967.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt