Author Topic: Pros and Cons of being bald  (Read 76260 times)

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
Re: Pros and Cons of being bald
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2017, 10:27:05 AM »
You are so right amatlock. My hair is snow white, and I have no shadow at all. I previously mentioned that not seeing the white hair was the biggest change for me. Every time I attempt to grow my hair back, after a couple weeks, I don't like how the grey hair makes me look older. Now, if my goatee wasn't white......

Your white goatee gives you a rather distinguished look. You could dye it, and if memory serves me i think i saw a pic in some thread where you had done that. But it just wouldn't look right on you, in my opinion. So dont worry about it.
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »
Pro: it's the perfect hairstyle to a warm climate.

Con: sunburn
Hair is over rated.

Offline skeeball

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2017, 12:58:35 AM »
Con: sunburn

This is the one thing that I was extremely paranoid about, especially since this is my first summer without hair. I was going to get a sunburn on my head. Especially since I run almost daily (and I'm serious about mileage, I always run 5-10 miles) and do a lot of other outdoor stuff. I don't really like wearing hats either (I do at times), so I've got to rely on sunscreen, which to be honest I've never really used sunscreen in my life even though I'm kind of pale. So far, no sunburns. In fact, I've even forgotten sunscreen a few times (including two days ago when I ran in a sweltering 93 degrees with full sun), still no sunburns. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I don't burn easily, in fact, the last time I ever remember getting a sunburn was when I was about 8 years old and my family took a trip to Florida, but I'm still not taking chances.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »
I just stopped at the thrift store, and one of the gals(cute) that works there was behind me and says "wow, you look so healthy, with the shine and all" pointing at my head.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2019, 09:18:37 PM »
Pros: The feeling of a freshly shaved scalp is awesome.

Cons: Irritation in the skin once in a while.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2020, 01:25:28 PM »
I thought I would revive this thread.

At a with parts store today, I ran into an employee with a shaved head and grey goatee, we could have been brothers! I complemented him on his great looking haircut, and he said yeah, he was tired on getting haircuts. We had a nice conversation about benefits of sporting a shaved head.

Another pro of wearing the sly look is the brotherhood of bald we belong to. Makes it easy to strike up a conversation with a stranger and discuss a common interest!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2020, 09:26:14 PM »
@reddog  Yes, that is a nice ‘pro’. It’s easier finding your brother from another mother! I’ve had a couple experiences like that. In one case, both of us shaved headed with goatee and dressed in the same pleated Dockers khaki pants with blue dress shirt. We both had a good laugh.

Offline DanielMiron

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2020, 08:47:10 AM »
Being bbc now for  15 yrs. I feel strange with hair. Bald is my normal.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2020, 09:00:48 AM »
I agree 100% Daniel, BBC 7 years for me. It has to be super smooth every day. I'm glad I'm at the age that I don't care what anyone thinks about my hairstyle, I love sporting a shiny shaved head!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2020, 09:51:24 AM »
Strange as it sounds, a bald head was a real advantage during my state's COVID lockdown.  I didn't have to worry about looking shaggy and ungroomed.  My brothers couldn't wait for barbershops to reopen so they could get haircuts.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2020, 10:33:06 AM »
Right Laser Man! And when my friends started looking a little scruffy, I pointed out us headshavers advantage, always looking fresh and sharp! I have talked to several guys that started cutting their own hair, and are good enough now to skip the barber and continue cutting it themselves.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2020, 07:55:46 AM »
Not sure if there are any cyclists out there...but one con of a shaved head (but not really if you are careful) is that you do need to wear a head covering under your helmet to avoid any bad tan lines. The advantage about a covering (handkerchief or sports skull cap) is that it absorbs all the sweat.

Always gotta protect the noggin from the sun!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2020, 02:04:59 PM »
Not sure if there are any cyclists out there...but one con of a shaved head (but not really if you are careful) is that you do need to wear a head covering under your helmet to avoid any bad tan lines. The advantage about a covering (handkerchief or sports skull cap) is that it absorbs all the sweat.

Always gotta protect the noggin from the sun!
That would be an interesting look.  :o
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2020, 01:04:10 PM »
I don't ride a motorcycle anymore and I'm retired so the only two cons I'm aware of is I have to shave every day and it takes a lot of time to rinse off the soap unless I'm in the shower in which case it only takes seconds with a washcloth.

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2020, 04:55:22 AM »
4 months into being bald by choice and there's a lot of pros: It's a clean and smart look, hides the grey (and is pretty age-less), feels great, is cool in the summer, never having to worry about styling or bad hair days...

Cons: Not too many for me.  I've always been susceptible to sunburn.  So even with short hair I had to worry and use sunscreen.  I don't mind shaving daily or every other day.  I've got much quicker with practice. Not being able to get a couple of bits smooth without over-shaving is a little frustrating...

@Razorhead it's not sunny enough here very often to get tanned through my bike helmet.  But I do get strap indentations on my head after a good ride, which take a while to disappear and can look a bit odd!