Author Topic: How to convince my parents to let me go bald  (Read 17849 times)

Andrei

Re: How to convince my parents to let me go bald
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »
From what I understand, you simply want to change your hairstyle to the bald style, it's not something you plan in order to get even with them for some reason.
You're 19 and living with your parents' and following their rules, but does your haircut fall under one of their rules?
I mean, ok, you're not independent, but this doesn't mean you can't take some of the decisions on your own.

Have some faith in your parents, speak with them again, explain them how much you really want this and maybe they'll understand and support your decision. Especially since this is not something permanent.

Start from a short buzz and gradually take it shorter.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »
Just do it. That will be announcement enough.

At 19 you're old enough to not have to ask your parents' permission to get a haircut.

I agree. Besides, once it's done there is nothing they can do about it. They'll get over it. It's really not that big a deal, anyway.

Offline Drainman66

• NY Giants
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
I agree with Buddah, but first this kid should start by cleaning his room.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 01:26:53 PM »
The way I would do it is this. I would un-busy myself from some of the things I'm currently busy with that are not necessary for my survival and start earning some money of my own so I don't have to go begging to my parents for everything. I would offer to kick in something toward the household. If that was refused I would buy some groceries and cook some of the family meals. I would also buy my own clothes and finance my own social life. Then, on the day of the aforementioned confrontation I have a position of strength rather than of powerlessness. I can then pack those bags and set off on my own and truly be Joe the Boss of My Own Body.

Until the point that you have something resembling that position of strength you're kind of at the mercy of your parents' discretion. I mean the other side of that "I'm 19 and can do what I want" coin is that you are also old enough to be earning your keep.

Couldn't agree with this viewpoint/advice more.

You are old enough to be on your own, but you still live with your parents, and don't financially support yourself in any way. You have very little space to argue your age, so it's a good thing you don't want to play that card.

That being said, I say just shave it and let them deal with it. They won't kick you out of the house for shaving your head if they haven't yet kicked you out for being lazy.  ;D
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 01:49:22 PM »
They won't kick you out of the house for shaving your head if they haven't yet kicked you out for being lazy.  ;D
O0

Offline mark

• Sly Jr.
    • Personal Trainer
Re: Re: How to convince my parents to let me go bald
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 05:12:54 AM »
To the OP. Did you READ what budda took the time to write in here for you? He gave the best advice of anyone and you chose not to comment on it. I find it funny that people even care. Go be productive.
Www.coachcampana.com

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »
I'm sorry I didn't repond to buddha, but he voiced my concerns really well. I really didn't want to wait any longer, so I didn't know what to think about longer term. So I didn't know what to think about his post. Sorry.

And I'm doing it today. Mom and Dad don't like it(though they took it humerously), but they're recognizing that if it's a mistake, it's mine to make, which is a little more than I did. So I'm going to end today without hair. I'm excited and freaked out.

Offline Drainman66

• NY Giants
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 11:37:39 AM »
Sounds like the kid might have some hair on his balls after all. Lol

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 02:02:52 PM »
Sounds like the kid might have some hair on his balls after all. Lol

Not for long! LMFAO!!!

Post pics or it didn't happen!  O0
Bald since 2005, showing it off since 2011.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Re: How to convince my parents to let me go bald
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 02:20:35 PM »
The way I would do it is this. I would un-busy myself from some of the things I'm currently busy with that are not necessary for my survival and start earning some money of my own so I don't have to go begging to my parents for everything. I would offer to kick in something toward the household. If that was refused I would buy some groceries and cook some of the family meals. I would also buy my own clothes and finance my own social life. Then, on the day of the aforementioned confrontation I have a position of strength rather than of powerlessness. I can then pack those bags and set off on my own and truly be Joe the Boss of My Own Body.

Until the point that you have something resembling that position of strength you're kind of at the mercy of your parents' discretion. I mean the other side of that "I'm 19 and can do what I want" coin is that you are also old enough to be earning your keep.

Couldn't agree with this viewpoint/advice more.

You are old enough to be on your own, but you still live with your parents, and don't financially support yourself in any way. You have very little space to argue your age, so it's a good thing you don't want to play that card.

That being said, I say just shave it and let them deal with it. They won't kick you out of the house for shaving your head if they haven't yet kicked you out for being lazy.  ;D

To the OP. Did you READ what budda took the time to write in here for you? He gave the best advice of anyone and you chose not to comment on it. I find it funny that people even care. Go be productive.

Thanks fellas.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Have you asked or they said why they would be unhappy with you going sly??

You say you don't work, maybe they are uneasy with you going sly as they may feel it might make that part of your life harder?? If you're 19 and not loosing hair then they may be worried by what potential employers may feel about employing this "skinhead".

There may be other reasons, just have a chat with them. I know my dad isn't massively keen on me having a fully sly dome (he's bald himself so it's kinda his fault!  ;D), he'd occassionally say stuff like "do you not fancy growing your hair out a bit?", I was in my mid 20's, fully employed and out of the family home by this point but it did kinda concern me he didn't seem to like it. Turns out he had a run in with a Hells Angel with an iron bar at somepoint in the 70's who I was rapidly starting to resemble, we talked it out and I explained I wasn't that person and all is cool.

Sometimes you need to remember your 'rents aren't just the fun police, they are people too!

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 09:23:31 PM »
I did it! Mom and Dad laughed it off, though still feeling weird about it as far I can tell. Two friends have told me I look badass, and the father of one of them said it looks good.

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 10:25:59 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen! Lets see it, boy!  >:D
Bald since 2005, showing it off since 2011.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 05:30:02 AM »
I did it! Mom and Dad laughed it off, though still feeling weird about it as far I can tell. Two friends have told me I look badass, and the father of one of them said it looks good.

If you actually did it (I'm just riding on Plano's good-natured skepticism) commit to maintaining the look for 30 days, for all the reasons enumerated in other topics. And post updates here of the surprises you encounter along the way.

Glad you are among the Sly.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 05:44:27 AM »
congrats.  the initial reaction is more of one of shock.  Parents likely happy that you are going on your own.

Enter your email address: