Author Topic: Buzzcut / fully shaved fluctuation  (Read 11139 times)

Offline ComicArtist_CKM

• Learning the way of Sly
    • BanditAizo on DeviantArt
Buzzcut / fully shaved fluctuation
« on: February 05, 2015, 08:28:59 PM »
I just turned 30 last December and I've been naturally bald for 8 years. I started balding at age 17 so I was still in high school. For about a half a year, it really messed with my head, but every summer before that I did a 1/4 inch buzzcut. When it came time to buzz it for the summer in 2002, I figured "Receding hairline... This time I'm using the bare clippers, no length guard." Over 5 years, my hair turned into the horseshoe pattern and I continued to use bare clippers on it every 2 or 3 weeks. Just last year, I finally decided to try a mach 3 shave and I LOVED it! But after I shave my head every day for a month or two, I miss using hairclippers on it, so then I change my style and let it grow 2 weeks and maintain it with the clippers. Then after a few months, I'll get bored and go back to the mach 3 every day. Does anyone else experience this? Switching between a buzz or a shave depending on your mood? I consider both styles to be win-win and very acceptable cuts for a head with the horseshoe hair pattern.

Ahoy.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Buzzcut / fully shaved fluctuation
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 09:45:10 PM »
Welcome, Comic Artist!

I'm not an everyday shaver myself, but I do understand where you're coming from. Some headshavers grow out their fringe a little bit for whatever reason and there is nothing wrong with that. I take it that you're probably a norwood 6 or 7 by now and I see nothing wrong with a horseshoe fringe if kept neatly. I have a friend who keeps it shaved (as weird as it sounds) during daylight savings time, and keeps a tapered fringe in the winter months during standard time (his words). That said, you are not alone, and maybe some of our members who do something similar to you can chime in. Again, welcome to the forum and participate often!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 09:49:11 PM »
I sometimes will got to a buzz over the winter. Like this one.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 05:31:57 AM »
The longest I've gone without shaving my head (since I started) was 7 days, when I was sick in bed.  I'll go 2-3 days occasionally if life is busy, but most don't notice that. I'm always delighted to get back to the smooth head.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »
In the winter I go 3 - 4  weeks then use a # 1.  Summers the razor gets used.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 07:25:22 PM »
So, I am basically a clipper shaver, but vary between #000 to #000000 in the warmer months. I have a white fringe and sparse top with a large bald crown & high forehead.  However, this past summer, I did razor shave for 30 days, about every 3rd day on average. For the past several years, I have had a tradition of razor shaving while on vacation, but this year, I kept it up upon returning home.  Razor shaving was definitely addictive!  My wife considers me as having a "shaved head" regardless of whether I razor shave or use #000 or anything in between. I suppose at #000000, I might as well use the razor, but I like some stubble feel, and as my hair is mostly white, at #000000 I look shaved anyway.  Now for winter, I am using a #1.5 clipper blade (1/8"), and I just bought a #3.5 clipper blade (3/8" -yikes! almost a 1/2" of hair!). But, in the summer, I plan on going back to razor shaving and probably longer than 30 days this time.  Then, I'll use the #3.5 to trim the beard or goatee that I may sprout while I am razor shaving.

I guess I am turning from a consistent clipper shaver to a guy who like to mix things up a bit and go back & forth between clipper and razor. To most other people, they probably do not even notice the difference.

Offline ComicArtist_CKM

• BanditAizo on DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 06:41:47 PM »
Thanks guys. Another thing, I always have some form of facial hair, either a goatee, full beard, chinstrap, etc.
Ahoy.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 11:54:10 PM »
With my head, I'm pretty consistent, shaving 2-3 times a week.  But my face I always change, rarely clean shaved but whether I have a full beard, goatee or just chin goatee thats been something that I have always kept changing since 16 years of age
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline martidano

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »
I'd rather shave my head with match 3 turbo daily and wear a shiny bald. I personally would never occur to me to let my hair grow. Anyway there is nothing wrong switch between two different styles.

Offline SlickChromeDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 08:19:36 PM »
I used to buzz mine with wahl balding sheers for years. Hated slick bald, hated the way it felt when I ran my hand over my head kind of grossed me out! Ha. Now I love a clean shaved head, I think we all evolve at somepoint and end up just owning the bald look!

Offline Calvo1029

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 04:43:33 PM »
I do this...depending on my mood I do sly or 0 sides/.5 top or 0 sides/1 top...I'm not horseshoe yet, what I have is a very strong forelock and then very thin hair with a heavily balding crown.

I switch it up for variety, for maintenance purposes (sly if I know I can't tend to it for a while because a buzz will make me look bald after 4 days or so), and because I notice some women are super into sly and some like the edge of a buzz so I please everyone!
If only I could figure out how to get rid of the hair that still comes back...

Offline bbguy54

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 03:28:08 PM »
I like to change it up. Right now I have my MPB clipped short. I get tired shaving my head, it's been 22 years.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 04:16:37 AM »
I shave every day but I have gone sometimes two or three days when things get hectic.

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 07:38:22 AM »
Welcome fellow pipe smoker!

Nice intro.  I've recently graduated to daily shaving after my skin became less sensitive.  Prior it was 3 days between, and I would manage a decent shadow.

Nice pipe pic, I enjoy English/Latakia in Peterson bulldog (Aran), and Nording freehands.

Cheers,
John
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...