Author Topic: How and why did you choose your SBG name  (Read 8835 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: How and why did you choose your SBG name
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 09:17:33 PM »
Great thread, Nuts!  I chose my actual name because I felt it would be more personal when SBG was getting started.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 02:47:32 AM »
Hi guys.  Some really neat responses and some are very inventive.  Look forward to reading more 'name' stories.

Roger
Roger

Offline Pohawk

• Learning the way of Sly
    • WBT
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 02:01:32 PM »
PoHawk. I am part Polish and use to wear and sometimes go back and forth between bald and a mohawk. Therefore the two "Pohawk"

Pohawk of the South

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 03:39:36 PM »
Since my name is Mike, I was going to be Slymike", but decided to spell it Slymyke, thinking that the Y would make Mike a little more Sly. 

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 05:49:24 AM »
Nice new photo, Pohawk!

Offline Professor Rorschack

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 09:24:17 AM »
A little late to this thread, but I thought I'd share anyways...

I'm a Literature teacher and we were reading a story in class that talked about Rorschach Ink Blot tests. One student kept pronouncing it RorSHACK, instead of RorSHOCK, and when I finally shaved my head after my Alopecia got so bad, he commented on how my head looked like one of those RorSHACK tests from the story.

Since then, I've been Professor Rorschack!
"Mere longevity cannot render life meaningful any more than brevity has the power to make it meaningless."
-Peter Rollins

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 09:49:58 AM »
I like your sense of humor, Professor.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 10:30:11 AM »
Ok, so socknoggle.  Years ago my now ex-wife and I ran a day care and pre-school out of our home.  My name is Todd Sargent, so some kids called me Mr. Todd, some Mr. Sargent.  However, there was one little boy that kept calling me Mr. Socknoggle.  I asked him once why he called me that and he said, "That's your name".  Well, everyone, staff and kids, though that was great!.  From then on everyone, including my wife, referred to me as Mr. Socknoggle.  I never have figured out how he got Socknoggle out of Sargent.  It's so unique that I often use that as a user name for various sites.

On a side note, I often thought that name sounded like a character from a childrens' TV show.  "I don't know Jimmy.  Let's go ask Mr. Socknoggle".  :)

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 09:07:32 AM »
Great story.  Looking forward to hearing from others.  Intrigued when i read that slybaldguy was chosen recently after all these years and no one else had thought to use the obvious name

Roger
Roger

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 02:14:44 AM »
It is over 6 months since I started this topic and there were some very inventive stories.  Perhaps some of the newer members coujld add their story.

Nuts
Roger

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 08:08:13 AM »
I wanted to post a reply to a post so I signed up, couldn't think of a good name that wasn't already taken so I went with a work related one. Cobranet is an Ethernet based audio transport......used to send audio processing through a switch network to allow audio processors to talk at great distances apart. Yeah, too much information! ;) I program audio processors at work and I figured the name was probably not taken...I was right.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2016, 01:38:55 PM »
Well, I am a tech freak and years ago a distro of Ubuntu Linux was called Precise Pangolin. I developed and supported the community for Precise Pangolin for a few years, and later on I gained a interest in pangolins. They're very intriguing creatures, tough as nails, and very resilient. They are the most trafficked animal in the world. I found I relate to them in the way that very little phases me in life, I kind of just let the arrows bounce off so to speak.

So one day I needed to make a username and I chose ThePangolin. Its stuck and I use it in a lot of games, forums, and various other username requiring instances.