Author Topic: I have a rare and serious problem: a big dent in my head and balding  (Read 83365 times)

Offline capitalmatters

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: I have a rare and serious problem: a big dent in my head and balding
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 12:38:07 AM »
I actually also think the very short hair like this suits me, because the receding hair when it's grown out it looks like a hat you know what i mean, too high up on the head, now this way it's not like that. I was in the barber shop today and I saw the barber doing old men, with terrible baldness holding on to long nasty strings of combover hair and it disgusted me I dont want to become this, so I went home and cut my hair this short. I felt panic after the first stroke with the clippers but it was alright.

Just too bad about the dent, I really want to have it fixed, but I only found one plastic surgeon online (Dr Eppley) in USA who has experience with this and he said it would be like 15,000 USD. The professor neuro surgery in my country said there is a way to fix this but he said i should just keep my hair a bit longer for the moment, because it's not a small thing in his opinion to do (the procedure). That Dr. Eppley has a new "minimally invasive" way of working so it seems promising, there are pictures of his patients.

But realisticall, traveling to the US and dropping 15K is not gonna happen soon (i live in europe)

the results look great tho with his patients: http://www.exploreplasticsurgery.com/category/cranioplasty/

Offline capitalmatters

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »
well so far nobody has even commented on my hair, not in the gym, not at work, not even my father

i can see that they notice tho  but they keep their remarks for themselves it seems

the surgeon actually said it would be 5-6 k not 15k so i want to do that when i can find time to travel to the US

meanwhile i think it looks better than before, somebody took a picture at the gym and it looked better than the receiding hair grown out

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 11:11:24 AM »
I'ts good to hear that it wasn't that big of a deal to people, and that you are feeling better about it.   

Offline philp

• Sly
    • Young Hair Loss
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »
I am just going through this thread and after reading your initial comments, I was preparing myself for something much worse. Looks good with a buzz cut and  the dent actually doesn't draw that much attention. Roll with it.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »
It' s great that you think it looks better than you thought. W ith some time, you might feel that the surgery is unnecessary!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline rfn

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »
well so far nobody has even commented on my hair, not in the gym, not at work, not even my father

i can see that they notice tho  but they keep their remarks for themselves it seems

the surgeon actually said it would be 5-6 k not 15k so i want to do that when i can find time to travel to the US

meanwhile i think it looks better than before, somebody took a picture at the gym and it looked better than the receiding hair grown out

Welcome back capital.  I'm glad that you've come to terms with your head shape (I haven't managed to accept my dent yet, so I'm still holding on what to little hair I have left). 

Just another piece of useful information - I spoke to a couple of plastic surgeons in my country about the possibility of fixing my own dent.  Many of them weren't too keen on it, and at least one recommended fat injections instead of a permanent solution.  However, while I was researching, I came across a newspaper article about a maxillofacial surgeon who rebuilt an injured boy's head.  I contacted the surgeon, and he was confident that he'll be able to help me - he helps a lot of accident victims with cranial injuries.  He can cut the area open and fill it with bone cement.  It might leave a scar, but he said that he could include a plastic surgeon in the surgery to ensure that scarring will be minimal.  I haven't scheduled an appointment with him yet, because I'll have to fly to another city to see him, but I'm planning on doing it.  If you still want to go the surgical route, perhaps you should considering looking for maxillofacial surgeons in your area and talking to them as well. 

Offline capitalmatters

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 03:31:58 PM »

Welcome back capital.  I'm glad that you've come to terms with your head shape (I haven't managed to accept my dent yet, so I'm still holding on what to little hair I have left). 

Just another piece of useful information - I spoke to a couple of plastic surgeons in my country about the possibility of fixing my own dent.  Many of them weren't too keen on it, and at least one recommended fat injections instead of a permanent solution.  However, while I was researching, I came across a newspaper article about a maxillofacial surgeon who rebuilt an injured boy's head.  I contacted the surgeon, and he was confident that he'll be able to help me - he helps a lot of accident victims with cranial injuries.  He can cut the area open and fill it with bone cement.  It might leave a scar, but he said that he could include a plastic surgeon in the surgery to ensure that scarring will be minimal.  I haven't scheduled an appointment with him yet, because I'll have to fly to another city to see him, but I'm planning on doing it.  If you still want to go the surgical route, perhaps you should considering looking for maxillofacial surgeons in your area and talking to them as well.
this surgeon i contacted (from indiana) suggested to inject PMMA through a 1cm incision  he says it's a very minor procedure not a big deal to do at all

his exact email response to my question and pics:

You do have a very specific and localized dent on the upper/back part of your skull. It appears to be a very discrete crater-like depression. That would be ideal for a limited cranioplasty approach using either PMMA or HA bone cement through a small 1 cm incision. This is a simple outpatient procedure that would have a very minimal to no recovery
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:33:43 PM by capitalmatters »

Offline capitalmatters

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »
I would want to find out if there are no plastic surgeons in Europe offering this. Surely this one in Indiana USA can't be the only skilled surgeon offering this procedure in the world? I will keep you guys updated. Take care.

Offline Frakes

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 03:31:24 PM »
Saw your pics.  Not overly large dent, but I can sympathise.  How is this for a dent?  Starts with my forehead and works it's way back.  Is actually worse than the picture shows.  Finally shaved almost two months ago.  Thought about surgery, but would be extensive and require several.  Would probably end up uglier than I already am.  I wear hats.  Wife prefers the bald me to the balding me.