Author Topic: What should i do?  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Nel

• Learning the way of Sly
What should i do?
« on: March 31, 2017, 04:04:14 PM »
Hi guys, i've been subconscious about my receding hairline since i was a teenager, (thats when i lost the most part of my hair) and i thought i would be bald by now.
"The problem" is that i'm 33 years old and my hair loss stopped around my twenties, so i've had this receding hairline for more then 10 years and i still don't know if i should keep like this, or just shave it all of.
My brother, who's 10 years younger then me, is already bald, and i'm still the same...i lose some hair here and there, but nothing significant...but, because i lost a lot of hair when i was younger, my receding hairline is noticeable and my hair is thin...i've buzzed my head a couple times before, but i kinda think it makes things worst and makes the receding hairline even more noticeable.

So, what do you guys think? It's better to wait for the time when i lose more hair to shave it (i'm sure my time will come  :) ) or should i just keep buzzing and growing it out like i have been doing for the last 10 years?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:27:10 AM by Nel »

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: What should i do?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 09:50:40 PM »
 the longer your hair is, the more it accentuates the receding line.

try a tight buzz, like a #1 or #000. you would rock it.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 10:44:17 PM »
I thought longer looked best.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 03:46:25 AM »
I think the flattop cut with the buzzed size is good until/unless the receding really becomes a problem.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Nel

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for the input.

I only say that having a buzz/short hair makes the receding hairline more noticeable because that's when people make comments about it...nobody says anything about my receding hairline when i have longer hair, but has soon as i buzz it (and i had it buzzed in all sizes, from a #4 to a #0), a lot of people make remarks of me going bald, and that makes me more insecure then having longer hair....thats why i'm determined to either shave it all off or wait to lose more hair to make that change.

Do you guys think i'm at a point of no return? Is it better to just shave it all now and keep it shaved forever, or can i still rock longer hair with my receding hairline?
I like having longer hair but i don't want to look stupid for having a receding hairline, and i don't want to do any combover go hide it.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 06:43:18 AM »
i am a barber.  You do not have a "receding hairline", you just have a prominant "widows peak" which fits the shape of your head, face, and features perfectly well!  You are nowhere near "having" to shave yet- but by all means you should feel free to go "bald by choice" should you like the way it looks or feels. 

My professional advice is that you look best with the longer top (almost a pompadour) on top with tight "whirwall" sides is a great look for you.  While you still have hair why not have fun with it?  If you do want to go with a buzzcut you should try a flattop with high, tight, military sides -- BUT make sure that they leave the flattop deck wide and boxy - that they do not cut the deck narrow to matcth your Widows peak.  If a flattop is cut too narrow on you it will look like a mohawk! 

If you are ever in Chicago in the Summer or in Outhwest Florida during the Winter come see mr for a free haircut!

Offline Nel

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 05:29:02 AM »
Thanks for the help Semi.Fly!

I'm not really worried about going bald, when the time comes, i will shave my head, i just don't want to look like those guys who try to cover their bald spots with a combover.

I want to embrace the hairline i have, so i can be more confident about it, but i never really found the perfect haircut/hairstyle for that.
I've been growing my hair to do a pompadour, and my idea was to get something like this next time i go to the barber, but i'm not really sure if i could pull it off:

Is this similar to what you suggested? If not, can you post pictures of the two haircuts you suggested (the pompadour and the flattop) so i can bring to my barber and we can figure out whats best for me?

Thanks in advance for the help.  O0