Author Topic: Brand new 37c on its way  (Read 8924 times)

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Brand new 37c on its way
« on: July 03, 2016, 03:35:28 PM »
Been adding and removing from my wcs shopping cart for two weeks and finally just ordered it today when I needed a new kent moustache comb.  West coast shaving has a 4th of July free shipping deal so that was a bonus.  I recently shaved my beard off and always had issues with ingrowns on my neck but have consistently pulled off great de shaves lately so I figured I'd reward myself and upgrade to what seems to commonly be referred to as the answer for coarse beards and neck issues. I also figure it's not a waste because it will be great for my head I'm sure and if worst comes to worst has great resale value.  I have a variety of blades to play with, maybe a more experienced slant user can chime in here. Currently I've got gillette 7 o'clock yellow (work very well but leave minor sting), feather (same as 7 o'clock yellow), dorco 301 (nice for a quick 1 passer but not enough for a nice close shave), derby extra (same as dorco 301).  I've also got a few blades I haven't tried yet including gillette 7 O'clock black (Indian), gillette silver blue, and the Astra sp's.  I've read great reviews about the 7 o'clock blacks in a slant so I may try those or the yellows since they are my current go to.  Unless someone suggest I try a more mild blade like the dorco first until I get the hang of the slant.

Not to put the cart before the horse, so to speak, but even the thought of possibly achieving a smooth neck without ingrown hairs for the first time in my life with this slant is very exciting to me.  As of now I've been able to finally do wtg and xtg on my neck without ingrowns which is phenomenal for me.  Hopefully the slant will make those passes even closer and eventually allow something I never thought possible... The elusive atg neck pass! Lol

Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
Re: Brand new 37c on its way
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 05:40:25 PM »
Nice choice! I plan on adding one to my shave gear, maybe a Christmas present idea. I think that having a more aggressive razor that is built the same (except the slant) as my 34C will be nice.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 07:53:12 PM »
Yes, when my current straight bar goes I'll get a 34c to replace it but I fully expect the slant to be my daily. Should have it by next weekend.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 01:11:18 PM »
I used to have a 37c.

Whats different about the newer version?

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 01:20:29 PM »
Nothing different about it versus any 37c you would have had.  I just used the "brand new" phrasing to state that it's not only new for me but totally unused factory sealed.  I know it's common for people to buy used razors (which is also fine) so when I buy brand new I'll state it as such.  I will say ive only recently become familiar with Merkur's portfolio off hand so if the model has gone through any changes I know it atleast wasn't anytime recently.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 06:14:10 PM »
Slant is in and slycat is happy! So while I'm waiting for my la toja shave stick to come in I used Barbasol aloe today.  I ran an Astra SP blade but actually was shocked at how much the sharpness was reduced.  Not in a bad way.  Straight bars just always tore me up pretty decently (technique?) So I typically found better shaves from more mild blades like a derby or my recent favorite for straight bar, the dorco 301.  I decided on the Astra SP since its a good middle ground blade for between comfort and closeness but the slant design significantly increased the comfort side so much that I'm going to run something sharper tomorrow.  I think I may go with a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow.  I also have feather, 7 o'clock black, silver blue, and Merkur blades available to me.
Any suggestions? Warhawk around?

I can highly suggest anyone who has issues with irritation to try a slant.  The level of comfort is just insane and the angle is so easy to achieve. This design really can allow someone with very coarse and curly hair (like me) to get an efficient and comfortable shave.  The only thing to keep in mind, and not a negative per say, is that I immediately found I will need to run a MUCH sharper blade then I typically would in a straight bar. Again, it's not a negative.  It allows me to use higher quality, sharper blades with more comfort then I ever thought possible.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 01:43:38 AM »
Thanks for the update. Glad you like it

Offline drew847

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 11:02:09 PM »
Congrats on the slant purchase and the good shaves! It's so much better than normal straight bar razors in my opinion. Never understood why people were so cautious about it, it really isn't "aggressive" just more efficient.

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 07:39:08 PM »
I got my new Merkur 37c last Saturday. Best razor I've ever used! I have had some of the best face shaves I have ever had since I started shaving about 34+years ago! I used it today for the first time for a head shave after about 3 days growth. I used a super light touch...lighter than I ever have before and got a REALLY great close shave. I guess that I developed some good habits with my 34c,I have a lighter touch than I thought I had and have been really been using the "No pressure" technique since I got this razor to great effect! After reading and watching all of the reviews and videos about how aggressive this razor is and how it will just plain cut you I can honestly say that all of that stems from bad technique! As has been stated in many reviews and videos this razor is more efficient more than being more aggressive. If you press this thing to your head you will chop yourself up pretty bad I would expect but a light touch makes for great shaves. This is now my main razor and I expect my head shaves to get even better the more I use it but for the first run, really impressive! O0

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 04:54:14 AM »
Spot on Cobranet, great review!  I'm happy the slant is working!  I love mine and agree that it really is just technique that causes a lot of the bad shaves people talk about with slants. 

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 01:49:56 PM »
I got my new Merkur 37c last Saturday. Best razor I've ever used! I have had some of the best face shaves I have ever had since I started shaving about 34+years ago! I used it today for the first time for a head shave after about 3 days growth. I used a super light touch...lighter than I ever have before and got a REALLY great close shave. I guess that I developed some good habits with my 34c,I have a lighter touch than I thought I had and have been really been using the "No pressure" technique since I got this razor to great effect! After reading and watching all of the reviews and videos about how aggressive this razor is and how it will just plain cut you I can honestly say that all of that stems from bad technique! As has been stated in many reviews and videos this razor is more efficient more than being more aggressive. If you press this thing to your head you will chop yourself up pretty bad I would expect but a light touch makes for great shaves. This is now my main razor and I expect my head shaves to get even better the more I use it but for the first run, really impressive! O0

What blade do you use in the 37c? Ta

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
The only blades I use are Personna Lab Blues.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 05:14:02 AM »
I typically use Gillette Silver Blue blades but I've had success with gillette 7 o'clock black and crystal as well. Prett much the entire st pete Russia plant line works well in this razor.  Dorco 301 work great if you like a very mild blade. Feathers certainly remove some hair but boy do they take some skin with them!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 06:02:15 AM »
The only blades I use are Personna Lab Blues.

Is that through trial and error? Ta

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 08:17:06 AM »
Not exactly. Over the years when I was using a DE razor I always used whatever blades I could find at the store without much thought about brand, assuming they were all the same. When I bought my Merkur 34c I bought a 100 pack of the Personna blades too. After the first shave I realized that there is definitely a difference in blade quality out there. I was so happy with them I got another 100 pack for Father's Day ,so I'm pretty set on blades for a while. Honestly I enjoy trying different soaps and creams but I never wanted to try every blade on the market and fortunately the first brand I picked was a winner.