Author Topic: Need Help Making the Decision to Go Bald  (Read 16727 times)

KJTQ29

Need Help Making the Decision to Go Bald
« on: March 30, 2011, 11:22:15 AM »
I'm thinking of going bald.  Starting point would be a St. Baldrick's event, but then would have to decide whether to shave smooth and stick with it.

I have a bald spot in back and slightly receding hairline, but otherwise okay hair.  I admire the sly look, but am worried about the reaction I might get to a big change like this.

I'm on the fence and need advice. 

Thanks!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Need Help Making the Decision to Go Bald
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »
You look like a distinguished bright guy.... I'm guessing that shaving your head will take a few years off your appearance. Don't worry about what others reaction will be............. if your own reaction is one of satisfaction than move along!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

KJTQ29

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »
Thanks for the compliment and advice. 

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 05:49:25 PM »
While it looks like you have a decent head of hair, it also looks like the sly look would suit your face/features well. Good luck with the transformation! Also, thanks in advance for support St. Baldricks. It is a great organization.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

KJTQ29

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:12:58 PM »
I'm hoping that I look good sly.  I think it'll be a confidence boost once I get over the initial change.  St. Baldrick's is a good cause - I'm glad to be part of it.

Offline jimbo48

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:29:38 PM »
Do what many of us have done.  Buy a set of clippers and gradually shorten your hair.  Start with a #3 guard, wait a few days and use the #2, then the #1, and then no guard.  Once you get used to the close buzzcut, try shaving your head.  If you are afraid to use a razor, try an electric shaver.  The Conair CleanHead shaver is a good choice ($30 at CVS.com).

KJTQ29

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:52:34 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion

Offline banmuir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 10:57:30 PM »

I also had a mop of hair with a patch at the back, the receding in the front was still 'under cover'. The clipper route is a good way to go - I went to a 2, then a 1, then with no guard and finally a blade in the space of two hours, and was more than happy with what I was seeing every step of the way.

There will be all kinds of reaction you didn't expect or anticipate (that was my experience). The issue is whether you're happy with yourself, if so, then you'll handle the reactions in your stride.

I'd mapped out a plan to go sly this coming June - had a ton of reasons why that was best. Then saintc had words with coach7 that made me realise that there is no time like now. Even then I could keep coming up with excuses to delay, so simply bit the bullet ... wow, I am so glad I did. If you've decided, then do it. It grows back. Don't worry yourself over it - that's wasted effort. There are a lot of guys here will hang in there with you.

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 11:07:10 PM »
if you find yourself asking should i loss the hair and hassle of hiding the MPB than i say take the scrapper to the grape and learn the way of the SLY.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 12:15:21 AM »
I first shaved my noggin because I got tired of paying $10.00+ bucks a week for a bad haircut when I was in the Air Force.  When I retired, I let it grow back out, but my MPB wasn't getting any better and while I don't mind my gray, blond, brown, white mix of thinning straight hair...sly works better for me.  I work in my state's government and while some folks have commented on wanting to see my "lovely" hair back, I simply prefer it sly.  Plus, I love hats and this gives me a great reason to where them year long with NO hat head.  I started growing it out yet again, but the MPB isn't getting any better.  My hair is just getting thinner. 

Shave it.  Shave it for 30 days.  If you don't like it, let it grow back.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline KC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 05:43:52 AM »
KJTQ29,

By participating in St. Baldricks you have the best of both worlds! 

While you won't be razor shaved, you will have a good idea of how sly will work for you.  If you like the look, do the last mile of due diligence and take out the razor.  Congratulations, you have a new hair style!  If you don't like it, it's hair and will grow back to what it was.  Nobody will razz you, or think any less of you, for supporting a worthwhile charity. 

If I were in your shoes, what would eat me up is being curious about a different hair style (i.e., sly) and not checking it out.

Have fun and enjoy!  Life is to short not to make the most of the journey.

Ken
"The Spirit of the Mercury Astronauts is Rekindled in Me!"

KJTQ29

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 06:18:29 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  It is eating at me that the St. Baldrick's event is several weeks away.  I plan to shave smooth immediately after the event so that I get the full feeling of being sly.  As you can tell, I'm anxious to experience being sly.  It's hard to picture the actual end result, though.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 07:10:55 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  It is eating at me that the St. Baldrick's event is several weeks away.  I plan to shave smooth immediately after the event so that I get the full feeling of being sly.  As you can tell, I'm anxious to experience being sly.  It's hard to picture the actual end result, though.
Good motive.  Remember, as so many of us have found out, mpb is relentless whether it be a rapid onset or slow.  Getting ahead of it will let you move on to more important thoughts than the state of your scalp!  And, it does make most guys look younger, more alert. 

KJTQ29

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 08:42:35 AM »
thanks for all the support.  You've convinced me that it's the right thing to do.  I can't wait to go sly.  Will definitely post picture of "after" as soon as the St. Baldrick's event is over and I've shaved smooth!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »
KJTQ29,

By participating in St. Baldricks you have the best of both worlds! 

While you won't be razor shaved, you will have a good idea of how sly will work for you.  If you like the look, do the last mile of due diligence and take out the razor.  Congratulations, you have a new hair style!  If you don't like it, it's hair and will grow back to what it was.  Nobody will razz you, or think any less of you, for supporting a worthwhile charity. 

If I were in your shoes, what would eat me up is being curious about a different hair style (i.e., sly) and not checking it out.

Have fun and enjoy!  Life is to short not to make the most of the journey.

Ken

Perfect advice. And if you get any flack after the Baldrick's event just tell them what you did and why. That will generally shut the critics up.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Enter your email address: