Author Topic: I did it !  (Read 5274 times)

Offline Maxc

• Learning the way of Sly
I did it !
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:53:36 PM »
Here is my last post where I talked about being nervous about taking the plunge
http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=27433.0

So last sunday I drove to this shopping mall, took out the toupee(system) I had on for nearly 8 years.. packed it in safe bag, put on a cap and walked into a barbers shop. Asked him to just shave it off .. he didn't speak english much so just did buzz cut.. then I said no do a Razor and that was it.  There it was.. the moment.. I had planned, yearned, craved and being scared to face for all these years. Poof.. done in less than 5 mins !

It was as if I was hoping for the skies to fall and earth to shake.. but nothing happened. Zilch.. at work next day.. my colleagues were like .."ohh cool nice hair cut !".. "preparing for the summers are we ?"

My first 2 days were like ok I actually feel confident ! it was on my 4th I guess where I sort of began doubts about it. Like so am I going to look this out-of-place kind of thing every where I go for the rest of my life ?

Today Its day 7.. I'd like say I'm going strong. Shaved clean today as well.. but yeah had a down cycle sometime around day 4 or so, but I'm going to stick to 30 day rule ! :)

(Another interesting thing happening is I've begun to shop more like  tees, clothes lol... wifey says baldies need to have sexy watches..it just goes with it ..lol ! ) 

cheers and all thanks for support again !

Max

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: I did it !
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 03:35:47 AM »
Congratulations! Post a picture if you can.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 07:43:07 AM »
Well done.  Show off your bald dome proudly.  Don't forget the suntan cream as it is going to be a scorcher here over summer.
Roger

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 07:55:04 AM »
Good for you !  After the first time shaving most of us have some doubts. I've gone back and forth a # of times. The longer you keep shaving the more natural you will feel. Keep it up and good luck.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 06:55:39 AM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 12:06:10 PM »
Well done! And welcome to the club.
Hair is over rated.

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 06:42:54 AM »
Congrats! Stick with it and you'll be feeling comfortable in no time.
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 07:48:08 AM »
Congratulations!!!  You will feel the freedom and I know you will keep your new look after the 30 days!!!!  Be sure to post a pic!!!!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:24:34 AM by dshupe »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 08:54:37 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline Ozz2012

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 02:48:35 PM »
The first few weeks are always the hardest.....When I first did it, and had to go to the store (where I knew nobody) I felt like everyone was staring at me...  In fact, it's highly likely no one even gave me a passing glance.

It still looked weird to me even after a few months....but, eventually, that guy looking back at you in the mirror will just be "you".

In fact....when I look at old "pre-sly" pictures of myself.....I think THOSE pictures look weird now.

I will warn you, though.....you will now and forever (or at least 5 years...as that's how long it's been for me, now)...get comments from the occasional friend/coworker/whatever who will tell you how much better you'd look if you grew your hair out a little....and they will let you know that repeatedly. 

You just need to either smile and walk away, or let them know they'd look better if they got a nose job ;-)

Offline TheodorusRex

• Sly Jr.
  • Each moment is a place you've never been before.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 08:19:16 AM »
Great story man - keep going!   Post a picture...   I had doubts around day 4 too - but I knew deep down, I wasn't going back.  I'm on day 27 - and with each passing day, I really like it more and more... 

I've even had some lovely flirtation from a few women and that has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated... 

#nevergoingback
Started shaving November 25th, 2016

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 10:51:29 AM »
Lucky for you your wife is supportive. After a few weeks, the comments should stop, and nobody will care. It took me over 2 years, and I would pass a mirror and think, holy cow, I can't believe I shaved my head. Congratulations on joining the bald brotherhood!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Slim_

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 10:21:32 PM »
Congratulations!

For me the first day was the roughest. I was almost physically ill when I saw myself in the mirror. In less then a week I was loving it. I rarely even think about it now. And when I do? I think about how good it is to be a man.

I agree on the watch. Shortly after shaving my head I started wearing a Submariner with a silver band. Something I would have never done before. Details matter when your rocking a bold, distinctive look. You're not longer some schlub with a ball cap and a hair piece. Now you are a man. Welcome home.

The great thing about toupees is you can always use them as a kneeling pad when you have to kneel for things like church or when changing automobile tires. So in that regard you may be sad to see it go. But you can always carry it in you pocket instead of on your head.