Author Topic: The Big 3-0  (Read 9599 times)

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
Re: The Big 3-0
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 11:00:34 AM »
Thirty is still very young.  As others have mentioned, you still have time to do plenty of things you wished you would have done sooner.  I remember my thirties well, because I used to be morbidly obese (260 plus pounds) and lost 115 pounds in the span of seven months.  At 34 my hair had completely thinned out and two years later I spent the next 15 years going to Hair Club as I helplessly drowned in the sea of hair loss denial.  I am now in my fifties and having the time of my life.  No, I'm not having a midlife crisis, because crisis implies conflict.  I'm having a midlife clarity.  I'm enjoying my 50s more than my 30s or even my 40s.  My point is not to worry about turning thirty.  Make choices that you feel good about and at the end of the day your age is irrelevant.  Enjoy, endure, and embrace your life!

Well you definitely don't look like you are in your 50's, Lew! Living a happy and honest life must be some of the reasons you have aged well. "Enjoy, endure, and embrace your life!", I love it! I appreciate the words of wisdom!

Oh yeah, how did you loose 115 pounds in seven months?? That's amazing!

You are my new best friend.  Thank you.  You know you made my day when you said that I don't look like I'm in my 50s; it has been a great decade for me so far.

I lost 115 pounds by eating roughly 500 calories a day and exercising between 3.5 to 4 hours daily as well.  I wouldn't recommend it, but I've kept most of my weight off for 18 years!

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 12:10:04 PM »
Thirty is still very young.  As others have mentioned, you still have time to do plenty of things you wished you would have done sooner.  I remember my thirties well, because I used to be morbidly obese (260 plus pounds) and lost 115 pounds in the span of seven months.  At 34 my hair had completely thinned out and two years later I spent the next 15 years going to Hair Club as I helplessly drowned in the sea of hair loss denial.  I am now in my fifties and having the time of my life.  No, I'm not having a midlife crisis, because crisis implies conflict.  I'm having a midlife clarity.  I'm enjoying my 50s more than my 30s or even my 40s.  My point is not to worry about turning thirty.  Make choices that you feel good about and at the end of the day your age is irrelevant.  Enjoy, endure, and embrace your life!

Well you definitely don't look like you are in your 50's, Lew! Living a happy and honest life must be some of the reasons you have aged well. "Enjoy, endure, and embrace your life!", I love it! I appreciate the words of wisdom!

Oh yeah, how did you loose 115 pounds in seven months?? That's amazing!

You are my new best friend.  Thank you.  You know you made my day when you said that I don't look like I'm in my 50s; it has been a great decade for me so far.

I lost 115 pounds by eating roughly 500 calories a day and exercising between 3.5 to 4 hours daily as well.  I wouldn't recommend it, but I've kept most of my weight off for 18 years!

Of course man, just stating the truth. I'm sure you're also a great guy. I'm glad you're enjoying your 50's. The 50's is still young anyways and leaves a lot of time to live life.

Regarding your weight loss routine, you're a beast! O0
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:12:04 PM by BigKen »

Offline StillLurking

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »
StillLurking, we all have our own experiences and thank you for sharing yours!  By being open and sharing your experiences it will help others connect with you and could lead to friendships.

What kind of radio station did you work for?

Thank you for asking!  I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but there is an (I hope interesting) story behind that: 

I worked as an engineer for an old-time radio show on WNIB 97.1 FM.  The call letters stood for “Northern Illinois Broadcasting,” but we fans say it means “We Need It Back.”

It was a classical music station built, owned, and operated from 1955 to 2001 by Bill and Sonia Florian, who were cool to work for.  (Mr. Florian had a huge beard and rode a BMW motorcycle - not the type you’d associate with classical music.)  They loved animals, and there were a few dogs and a bunch of cats that wandered around the station.  Occasionally you’d hear a meow or bark in the background over the air as the announcer spoke!

Anyway, they also played a few nostalgia shows, including “Those Were the Days,” four hours of old radio drama and comedy hosted by Chuck Schaden (another great guy to work for) every weekend.  I met him while interning at the Museum of Broadcast Communications archives, which is where his show was broadcast from, live in an open studio where all were welcome to visit and watch.  I started by answering phones and taking merchandise orders, then learned the board to be a substitute engineer.  When his old engineer left for college, I was offered the job.  I was there from 1996 to 2002.

Eventually, the Florians retired and sold the station to Bonneville Broadcasting, and of course the new owners out in Utah knew what Chicago wanted better than us who live here, so they immediately changed the format to “classic rock” and the call letters to WDRV, the Drive (said in low, growly voice, like you’re imitating Batman).  “Those Were the Days” and I moved to WDCB, the College of DuPage radio station.  The new station was too far, so I had to bow out after about a year.  But it was so much fun while it lasted!

I promise I won’t always be this long-winded.  But I thought it was a good story, so I told the whole thing.  Thank you for your patience.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 12:22:58 PM »
What we all need is another all rock station.  I found your story interesting, liked the bit about hearing the animals.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline StillLurking

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 08:35:55 AM »
What we all need is another all rock station.  I found your story interesting, liked the bit about hearing the animals.

Thank you!

Enter your email address: