Author Topic: Clippers or wet shave?  (Read 11633 times)

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
  • Like Mr Boombastic, I'm semi fantastic!
Clippers or wet shave?
« on: April 02, 2017, 06:16:38 PM »
Hey there.

Ive been shaving my head for about 15 years - its thin down the middle, but fairly thick on the back and sides.  Ive always used clippers, but more recently Ive started wet shaving.

Im still on the fence about wet shaving vs using clippers.  Im interested - when do you think its time to make the switch?  Is it when only a certain amount of hair is left, or is it an internal decision that doesnt really rely on how much hair you have?  I dont use a comb when using clippers, so I suppose the difference is minimal to an extent, just wondering what peoples opinions are on the matter.

Im a newbie, so if this is in the wrong section of the forum I apologise.  Im interested in any advice/experience you may have that may help to make this decision a clearer one for me.

Cheers  :)

Feenix 

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
Re: Clippers or wet shave?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 12:36:05 AM »
No guard clippers will cut very short, the big difference is the feel. You do what feels right for you, if and when you want, there are no rules.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:02:14 AM »
There is no rules which way to shave. Give each a try for a period of time, and see what best fits your life style.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »
It makes no difference if or when you switch.  I personally like the smooth feel of the blade shave.  If you hair is dark, a razor shave will minimize the shadow, but other than that, it looks the same to most people.  Other head shavers will notice the difference, others will not know.
SlyBeard

Offline Themightyjuice

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 09:13:11 AM »
I actually do both. Some days I'll wet shave, other I'll grow it out forms few days then clipper it with my balding clippers. My clipper leave about the equivalent of a day or so worth of growth but I like the shadow effect. I'm probably the same as you with my hair being thinner on top but thick on the back and sides. When I wet shave I really do lobe the feel of it and the process of shaving. When I clipper it, it's more of a sandpaper feel and I like the look of it. Either way I love It.

There are no hard and fast rules on going sly. Since you already clipper your hair, why don't you try a wet shave and see how it goes. If you don't like it then it's no big deal, a few days later and youre back to clipper length hair. Do what feels right. Chances are you have the urge now anyway so why not succumb 😈

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 05:34:16 PM »
Yeah, thats what I tend to do - wet shave sometimes, clippers sometimes.  I dont use a comb or a guard, so it takes it down to a couple of days growth.  Im getting to like the wet shave now, I guess I just dont want to have to do it every day.  Occasionally, I wet shave it after letting it grow out for a week or so without buzzing it first, and it can tear the back of my head to shreds, lol.  Have to stop doing that!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 10:15:08 AM »
I think the limit for me is about 4 or 5 days growth for a razor shave.  Longer than that, I need to clipper first for the shave to be comfortable.  So you could just razor shave twice a week and be OK if you don't want to shave more often.
SlyBeard

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 03:04:05 PM »
Hmm, that sounds good.  Cheers, might give that a go. :)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »
It's easier to wet shave. Less mess to clean up afterwards and no realizing you've missed a spot as soon as everything is put away.

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 04:23:13 PM »
Well thats true enough.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 07:10:27 AM »
There are alot of us that don't like the feel of stubble, and prefer a smooth head. So shaving daily is necessary. I love a smooth head and some nice shine on it. I guess you get to the point you feel cleaner with it smooth.

Also, in my case, I have snow white hair and with 2 days growth I look like my head has a layer of dust on it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline StephenJohn

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 11:33:41 PM »
I would prefer Grooming over Shaving.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:38:47 PM by StephenJohn »

Offline StephenJohn

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 11:35:05 PM »
Hello there,

I had this similar confusion years ago. It was like I used to groom my hair & beard using scissors but It takes much time and thus, I thought of using a shaver to save my bit of time and energy.

From last few months, I have been using a clipper, a Wahl beard trimmer for grooming my stubble. I make use of it in grooming my head too. Kind of saved my lot of bucks by investing in one product that does both the work.

In my opinion, clipper is better than razor !!!  O0

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 09:46:35 PM »
What ever you like best , is the right thing for you.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Enter your email address: