Author Topic: How Should We Promote Sly Bald Guys?  (Read 87472 times)

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
Re: How Should We Promote Sly Bald Guys?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 04:01:23 PM »
Whoa, well met Professor! I like your thoughts, Tyler, how far are we willing to go... muhahahaha   
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 04:40:09 PM »
:)Ahoy, Tyler: RE promoting SBG, try to link up with pop television programs that feature baldies [e.g.  Deal/No Deal, the Dr. Keith Ablow Show, WWE and similar pro wrestling venues, military and police programs]. Advertise in collegiate and alumni publications   that are read by young men just experiencing the onset of balding and who are desperate for advice based on living and for community. Get to them before the HCM and Bosley do. This would herald a bright future for SBG and would spare them scarring transplant procedures, squandering of money, and loss of self-esteem. It would counter the media- and greed -driven aesthetic kept in place by Hollywood and the hair "restoration" industry. Seek the endorsement of famous baldies; perhaps feature a celebrity spot in the forum. This is going to mean a lot of work for you, but it's a cause, and a praiseworthy one at that. Professor Melon

Great suggestions Melon!  I did try to get Dr. Keith to mention my website on his show, but I wasn't successful at it.  Maybe one day he will.  I'm always looking for a way to get the site mentioned on TV, Radio, Magazines, or the News Papers/Websites.  With the little money that's coming in with the site, it's hard to justify spending money to advertise right now, but those are ideas that I will keep in mind for the future.

I have set up the ability for someone to send their friends or family an anonymous invitation to Sly Bald Guys, but I have not turned on the feature yet.  I'm still weighing the pros and cons of allowing someone to do this anonymously.  I also need to talk to an attorney to make sure I can't get sued by allowing someone to do that.  If I don't allow a person to do it anonymously, then I will still add the feature to allow others to tell a friend about our site requiring an email address.

I think the t-shirts will help spread the word as well.  I'm also going to have some stickers printed up.  Maybe I'll find a way to get a few in some bald celebrities' hands.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 06:21:06 PM »
have you ever looked into men's health magazine, or something like that?

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 06:58:20 PM »
have you ever looked into men's health magazine, or something like that?

I would love to get mentioned in Men's Health, Playboy, Maxim, Stuff, FHM, GQ, or any other men's magazine.  I welcome any exposure I can get.  I just don't know how to go about it without paying them to advertise.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 07:08:16 PM »
looks like we have a project ,huh guys? if they don't wanna put the site in there we can send yeti for some "friendly" persuasion. haha

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 07:13:35 AM »
  :) :)Ahoy, Tyler: until money becomes available for advertising, stickers, caps, and t-shirts are the way to go. Todd Greene has developed a kind of mystique for Headblade by including a sticker in every mail-ordered purchase. The logo is a good idea. Bald-R-Us also sells stuff to keep their profile high, and they have an annual meeting, which allows members to get together apart from the net. A lot of bald professional men are super conscious about their clothing and health, so a spot in a fashion magazine [Gentlemen's Quarterly etc.] or a health magazine [Men's Health etc.] would really put SBG on the map. It may not be the time, but a minimal fee for registering might fill the coffers and provide the wherewithall. The young guys in college and just beginning their careers should be the target group. If they knew about SBG they could be spared much misery, and you would have achieved your mission. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 11:42:30 AM »
...Todd Greene has developed a kind of mystique for Headblade by including a sticker in every mail-ordered purchase. The logo is a good idea. ...It may not be the time, but a minimal fee for registering might fill the coffers and provide the wherewithall. The young guys in college and just beginning their careers should be the target group. If they knew about SBG they could be spared much misery, and you would have achieved your mission.

Yeah, Todd Greene has created a great image around the HeadBlade.  I'm also trying to do the same with SBG.

Melon, you're right on the button with the target demographic of young guys in college.  Obviously, all bald men are welcome to the site, but I started this site out with the 18 to 35 group in mind.  Mostly because BaldRUS seems to be targeting the 35+ crowd

I've thought about some type of membership to help cover the costs of the site, but I would always have a free membership available.

I would also like to have a meeting for all of us one day.  I think that would be cool to meet everyone in person.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 11:44:31 AM »
mardi gras is coming around. hahaha

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 01:02:35 PM »
That would be fun. Could be dangerous too, fathers lock up your daughters!!! SBG are on the loose!!!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 01:29:10 PM »
i am trying to send an email to a radio dj in nawlins. that happens to be bald. new rock station. you never know?

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 01:53:38 PM »
If you want to promote the hell out of sly bald guys without spending a dime is on youtube.

If we could make a funny video about bald guys with the website in the bottom right, it would definately get some traffic to the site.

It wouldn't matter what it was about, as long as there was a bald guy as the main character and it was funny.

Noner

Offline Noner

• Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Nonerville
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 01:55:44 PM »
Also, if we get a group on meetup.com and start meeting regionally, that would also increase awareness.

Offline Noner

• Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Nonerville
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 02:03:14 PM »
Of course the best way to get people to go to the site is to get your hot female friends to hand out business cards to bald guys.

I was doing a show last night in NYC and this girl handed me a business card. It was for a nail salon, but I took it because she was hot!

Hot girls = easy sell to guys. (it's marketing 101)

and to believe I took all those years of college to tell me that.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2006, 02:09:09 PM »
noner. if you wear a t-shirt that has the logo on stage it would help. hahaha

BaldRob

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 03:50:17 PM »
I propose the first meeting of SBG is in the greatest city in the world...

Chicago!!!  It's in the middle of everyone, has two major airports, lots of stuff to do for some quality bald-bonding, I live close, lots of hot women for the single bald guys... do I need to keep going?

Just not in the winter, unless a free hat is included because is takes a truly tough bald guy (Like ME) to handle that type of cold without one...