Author Topic: Few questions from a first time Baldie.  (Read 5376 times)

Offline Hayden

• Learning the way of Sly
Few questions from a first time Baldie.
« on: February 23, 2017, 03:55:25 PM »
Hi guys! New to the site here.

So, my hair was starting to thin a bit and I thought I'd strike while the iron was hot and start shaving it bald. Now, I've shaved it, but have a few questions about how I should do things and in what order.

First, this was my method of attack:

1. Hit it with the clippers without any attachments to get it right down.
2. Had quick shower to open pores, etc. Pat dried it at the end.
3. Filled sink with hot water, heaps of shaving gel and took it all off with a disposable razor.
4. Washed it off with cold water and pat dried it.
5. Smacked some after shave on it.
6. Made plans to grow a big badass beard.

So, my questions:

1. Now, I read that you should use after shave and then moisturizer. But do you put the moisturizer on right after the after shave or do you wait a while or something? Wouldn't that just negate the effects of the after shave?

2. All the hair's gone, but it ain't really shiny or anything like I see a lot of people on here. Is that just because its the first time I've done it and my skull is just paler where the hair used to be?

Other than that, it's feeling pretty good. Giving it a good slap every now and then feels great and when I went out to see the dogs they started getting all worked up because they didn't recognize me.

Thanks.

- hayden.

Offline TheodorusRex

• Sly Jr.
  • Each moment is a place you've never been before.
Re: Few questions from a first time Baldie.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 06:15:22 AM »
I just started shaving in November...  It takes a while for the shine - but it will happen.  I use lotion every day - after getting out of the shower, after drying my head.   Why use aftershave?   My head was sensitive - and I had to shave with the grain to avoid bumps for a while.   Now - I can shave in any pattern and have no bumps...   It's funny.  The body takes awhile to settle in. 

:)

-T
Started shaving November 25th, 2016

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 07:26:22 AM »
Welcome!!

I've been shaving since October and I at first was using an after shave but I have since stopped that.  I now shave in the shower and the results are incredible.  I too don't use "heaps" of shaving gel like you mentioned.  Tyler posted a video saying that less really works best and I have to agree.  I seem to get more irritation if I use more and I stand by the less is better and it cuts down on waist.  I have HeadBlade products that I use.  I have HeadClear and HeadLube in Matte.  I often don't use anything as I tend to develop a shine about an hour after shaving from natural oils in my skin.  If your skin doesn't shine after you shave you can purchase products that give you the shine.  HeadBlade makes one...HeadLube in Glossy:
http://www.headblade.com/product/151007.html

It will help your skin and give you the glossy look.

Offline GoHabs

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 05:29:48 AM »
I use Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm after each shave.  Great moisturizer, light scent and cheap.