Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741476 times)

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1740 on: September 30, 2016, 02:36:55 PM »
That sounds lovely! I'm currently entered in a giveaway for a bottle of their "reserve classic" (I believe it's called) and if I don't win I'll probably grab a bottle of that cool to try out.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1741 on: October 01, 2016, 04:29:02 PM »
Saponificio Varesino - Flying Mango
Ever-Ready 100T | TGN Finest
Gillette Pre-war Tech | Feather Hi-Stainless (2)
Barrister's Reserve - Classic

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1742 on: October 04, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »
Tallow + Steel "Dark"
Zenith | Manchurian
Gillette Pre-war Tech | Feather Hi-Stainless (1)

The more I use Tallow and Steel, the more I appreciate it.  After having several uses under my belt, I'm inclined to elevate my slickness rating from 8/10 to 9.  The water tolerance and capacity is elevated as well.  T+S was instantly in my rotation upon my first use, but my rotation is getting larger such that if every one of my favorites gets equal use, it will be weeks before I see it again.  "Dark" is one that I cheat with.  It gets bumped up in the rotation because the scent is intoxicating.  While my first impression was peppermint patty and chocolate covered coffee beans in a cedar box, it's acquired more depth with continued use.  Now, I'm not suggesting the scent changed, but rather my nose may have accepted some unusual characteristics allowing others to the forefront.  For instance, I still get clear peppermint and cocoa notes, but it's less candied and more coffee, cocoa, and green grassy mint.  I've also discovered the "cedar" is simply a smoky vetiver, but the overall scent is far from smoky.  Dark is a clean and crisp scent that just continues to unfold with use.  Dark has a complexity that unfolds in a similar fashion to B&M's Leviathan.  It's no secret that upon my first use of Leviathan about a year ago, I found it off-putting, only to become addicted by the end of the day. The two products' scents are not particularly similar, Leviathan being slightly murky with leather notes and Dark being much cleaner.  The comparison is with regard to their development.  Dark was never off-putting, mind you, but my appreciation of it has certainly increased.

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1743 on: October 08, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »
Just got this brush in the mail yesterday, after first use I really like it. My first synthetic brush....I don't think I will be going back to boar or badger. Another "New" shave bowl I picked up for .69 cents before the discount! I have about 30 bowls/mugs now.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1744 on: October 08, 2016, 11:08:09 AM »
Nice! Specs on the brush? I've got a 22mm omega s series brush which is their lower end synthetic but it works great! Very soft, no break in period, and dries very quickly which is perfect for living in the humid climate I do.  I also have a new maggard 22mm synthetic coming in the mail either today or Monday.  I was looking for a brush with a bit more backbone and read a ton of reviews of people who prefer it to the omega s series for exactly the reason I mentioned.  The other cool part is my omega was only about $8 and the maggard was only about $12.  Those $100 badgers are for the birds!  However I will one day own the Simpson chubby synthetic but I believe it's currently around $80 which is was too much.

I've recently be playing around with personna double blade carts after I got 100 of them for $13 on amazon so I haven't put up a DE shave in awhile but my recent shaves have been atx with personna twin cart on head and a nice steel atra style handle from west coast shaving with the same personna twin carts for the face.  Lather is usual rotation of proraso green cream, la toja stick, or occasionally col conk like glycerin with omega brush followed by witch hazel, osage rub, and usually proraso green splash.  I will sometimes replace the osage rub with head clear since I have a bottle but for its price I'm not totally convinced that it does anything compared to say witch hazel... Which is drastically cheaper.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1745 on: October 08, 2016, 05:58:05 PM »
The Brush is a "Satin Tip -The Purest". Synthetic brush with a rubber coated handle. VERY soft on the tips and has quite a stiff backbone to it at the same time. I kept seeing the pictures of it on Amazon when searching for shave items and thought it was the coolest looking brush ever! I had a Badger and a Boar from Van Der Hagen but my Badger came apart . The knot separated from the handle so it went into the trash. I like the Boar better as far as the stiffness of the brush but the idea of not having to soak the brush before a shave seemed like the ideal thing for me. I shave everyday for work and sometimes I forget to soak the brush while I'm in the shower and with this brush you only need to stick it under the tap and get it wet and start lathering. It's my first synthetic but I think that from now on it will be the only type of brush ( Synthetic) I use. Tomorrow morning I will use it with a hard soap to see how it works for a puck to face lather. I'm sure it will be great. On a side note...I need to stay away from face/Head lathering so I can use all the bowls/mugs in my rotation! :/O I do have quite a large collection growing.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1746 on: October 09, 2016, 06:41:40 AM »
Through The Fire Fine Craft "Devil's Cut"
Rubberset 200-4 | Omega Boar
Nicole Pangas Ceramics Ghost Skulls Shaving Bowl

Through The Fire Fine Craft offers moderate slickness and cushion, but very little post-shave. As a result, I don't use it if I had a previous poor shave resulting in skin issues going in.  Fortunately, I've been having some amazing shaves lately given the great products available.  "Devil's Cut" is a nice bourbon-forward fragrance highlighted with sandalwood and cinnamon notes.  Cinnamon is not listed as an ingredient, nor do I get the typical warm sensation with cinnamon products.  However, the note is unmistakable.  While this is supposed to be influenced by Jim Beam's Devil's Cut Whiskey, I believe it's closer to their Kentucky Fire whiskey.  I often compare the Devil's Cut splash to Derby City Chop Shop's Winter Reserve. The two are very similar in the sense that they both contain bourbon.  Devil's Cut is a bit lighter and more woodsy where Derby City has more of a bay rum profile. The Devil's Cut bourbon notes fade after an hour or two and leave a pleasant cinnamon sandalwood.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:58:31 AM by 120inna55 »

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1747 on: October 10, 2016, 06:19:22 PM »
Stirling Soap Co. "Texas on Fire"
Ever-Ready 100T | TGN Finest
Barrister and Mann "Roam" Tonique

Bonus pic:

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1748 on: October 12, 2016, 05:12:08 PM »
Van Yulay - Soap of the Gods "Hephaestus"
Rubberset 200-4 | Omega Boar

Instead of belaboring my thoughts regarding the performance of yet another Van Yulay product, I'll refer you to my previous posts.  Otherwise, I will simply stipulate that having 15 Van Yulay soaps in my den, they all perform in line with my other favorite artisans and can compete on every level.

Now, on to the scent.  Van Yulay messes with the nose on this one.  For just two primary fragrances, Hephaestus is surprisingly complex.  It's as-advertised with lime and gunpowder, but the results are quite different from what I'd expected.  A few swirls of the wet boar knot released an interesting fragrance with all the sharpness of lime minus the green. It mellowed somewhere in the second pass and began to take on notes of wet nickel without abandoning the lime.  As the shave progressed, the nickel became more pronounced as gunpowder.  Due to my almost constant exposure to gunpowder, I'm often noseblind to it.  This soap taints it just enough with the lime to set it off.

The paired alcohol splash is very lime-forward such that I expected a citrus sting, but there was none.  There was also a pleasant creaminess that I suspect is from the skin-care ingredients.  After about a half-hour, I began to pick up on some hints of gunpowder.  Ultimately, the fragrance melds into a charming, but slightly dark, lime.  My wife very much likes this fragrance as well.

Despite the peculiar notes, they work well enough together as to avoid being placed in the novelty category.  This scent would be appropriate for just about any occasion.

(Regarding the pic: some of you may recognize that's a pressure plate from a clutch assembly.  It's the stock one from my '98 Trans Am)

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1749 on: October 13, 2016, 06:27:25 AM »
Just love Taylor of Old Bond Street!

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1750 on: October 13, 2016, 10:03:58 PM »

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1751 on: October 15, 2016, 06:24:44 PM »
Van Yulay - Soap of the Gods "Black Cavendish"
BSB-Ti | HMW Extra Dense
RazoRock Black Mamba | Feather Hi-Stainless (1)

Again, I won't bore you by restating my thoughts about Van Yulay's soaps.  I have lots of experience with a variety of their soaps, and I can confidently say they all perform in line with my other favorite artisans and can stand up to any of them.

I picked up "Black Cavendish" with trepidation.  I absolutely love a cherry tobacco fragrance.  In fact, one of my all-time favorite scents, "Captain's Pipe" by the artisan formerly known as "Beaver WoodWright", has to be placed on the back shelf due to the nausea it evokes upon my wife.  I have to reserve my use of said Captain's Pipe to hunting season during which she's gone for a few days at a time.  Captain's Pipe quite accurately reproduces the aromatic tobacco, Captain Black Cherry.  When I saw the scent notes for "Black Cavendish" on Van Yulay's site, I feared it would elicit the same response from my wife.  Fortunately, Black Cavendish varies enough such that she's fine with it.  I very much enjoy it.  There's a definite cherry tobacco fragrance up front, but there's enough woodiness to alter it quite a bit, and set itself apart as a different fragrance.  As the shave progresses, a slightly powdery, smoky, chocolate accord quite faintly moves in to really round out this delicious fragrance.

I used the paired alcohol-free splash, just to prolong the scent. I've said this before, but all of Van Yulay's splashes have a creamy scent initially that I assume is from the skin-care ingredients.  That creaminess is pleasant, but it does fade rather quickly and allows the matching scent to come through accurately.  As a nice surprise, I did notice some sweet vanilla notes in the splash that I hadn't picked up with the lather. 

Black Cavendish is a very nice release from Van Yulay that certainly fits in the family of cherry tobacco fragrances, but its depth and complexity keeps it from being a blatant reproduction.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1752 on: October 17, 2016, 09:15:48 PM »

Barrister and Mann "Hallows"
BSB-Ti | HMW Extra Dense
RazoRock Black Mamba | Feather Hi-Stainless (1)

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1753 on: October 18, 2016, 07:13:23 PM »
Thought I would give the Van Der Hagen puck a spin for a morning shave. Haven't used it since I started getting more upscale soaps/creams. Still makes for a nice shave and a very nice scent as well. Love this Satin Tip brush too!

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1754 on: October 21, 2016, 04:58:08 PM »
I was off today so I didn't have to shave for work, but I did shave my head though. I have been using my 34C almost exclusively for a while ...as seen in all my recent postings...since I do a three pass face shave everyday for work. Pulled out the XXX this morning and had a great shave.