Author Topic: First Time Getting My Ears Pierced  (Read 23488 times)

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
First Time Getting My Ears Pierced
« on: May 25, 2016, 07:22:44 PM »
Okay, so for the first time in my life I've decided to get my ears pierced.  I figure this is fairly minor compared to my shaving my head for the first time earlier this month.  The reviews on here have been very helpful.  I was going to go with the one earring in the left ear but I get the feeling that's passe.  Some folks still say one earring and others say two (one for each ear).  I like the argument given for having a symmetrical look so I'm going to try one for each ear.

I've read a lot of negative reviews about piercings at shopping malls and piercing guns, so I found a reputable tattoo parlor that does piercings and made an appointment for Friday morning.  I've never even stepped foot in a tattoo parlor but losing my hair has facilitated a powerful way of breaking out of the conventional paradigm that has constrained me for my whole life.

My wife thinks I'm going through a mid-life crisis; I'm 51.  I disagree.  A crisis implies conflict, namely, internal conflict which is completely absent in my case.  For me, these changes are an exploration, an extension of who I am, and a form of empowerment.  I know who I am and where I want to go.  Heck, I'm just a few years away from full retirement.

I'm looking forward to having my ears pierced and enhancing my look as a newly bald man.  I figure I can always ditch the earrings if I tire of the look.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: First Time Getting My Ears Pierced
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 07:37:53 PM »
Hey, Lew, I only have one word...YOLO!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
Go for it Lew! I'm getting both of mine pierced in a couple of weeks. Earrings really do enhance the look of a bald head. Have you decided what gauge size you'll get?

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 11:25:10 PM »
Hello Lew - I did EXACTLY the same thing!  But be careful, once you "let your freak flag fly" there is no telling where it might lead!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 05:35:43 AM »
I'm trying to be the last man on earth without a piercing or tattoo. Actually considered ear piercing, but didn't do it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 07:06:41 AM »
I got my left ear pierced at 59. Shopping mall experience. Now wearing a 10 gauge cbr or segment ring.

If you are planning to wear studs, 18 gauge may be a good place to start. Most studs work at 16 or 18 gauge.

If you are planning to wear loops (cbr, segment rings, etc), then you may want to start at 16 or 14 gauge (ask your piercer).  Maybe he/she will even start you out at 10 gauge. 

I really like the 10 gauge size.

When I wore the studs, (after healing), I changed them daily for variety. Now that I wear the cbr, it's a little more work to change out (with pliers), so I only change it perhaps once every several weeks.

The piercing itself was not painful. The strange part was the sound of the piercing!  Not bad, but unexpected.

You'll enjoy having your ears pierced. I like symmetry, but I also like having just the left ear pierced. I thought that would be a problem with the telephone, but it's not.

RedDog ... we can discuss your ear piercing when I visit your city in July this summer LOL. Hope to see you and Joe when I'm up there.

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 07:01:44 PM »
I got my left ear pierced at 59. Shopping mall experience. Now wearing a 10 gauge cbr or segment ring.

If you are planning to wear studs, 18 gauge may be a good place to start. Most studs work at 16 or 18 gauge.

If you are planning to wear loops (cbr, segment rings, etc), then you may want to start at 16 or 14 gauge (ask your piercer).  Maybe he/she will even start you out at 10 gauge. 

I really like the 10 gauge size.

Thanks for the helpful information.  I'm going to do a little more research and see what the piercer has to say.  I don't want to start off with anything ridiculously big and bold.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

When I wore the studs, (after healing), I changed them daily for variety. Now that I wear the cbr, it's a little more work to change out (with pliers), so I only change it perhaps once every several weeks.

The piercing itself was not painful. The strange part was the sound of the piercing!  Not bad, but unexpected.

You'll enjoy having your ears pierced. I like symmetry, but I also like having just the left ear pierced. I thought that would be a problem with the telephone, but it's not.

RedDog ... we can discuss your ear piercing when I visit your city in July this summer LOL. Hope to see you and Joe when I'm up there.

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 07:04:54 PM »
Thanks for the very helpful information.  I'm going to do a little more research as well as get the piercer's opinion on what sized gauge I should start with.  I don't want to start with anything overly large and bold.  Small steps work best for me.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow.  Thanks, again.

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 05:17:48 PM »
Three Week Ago:

Today:

In addition to a shaved head, today I had both ears pierced and used JFM on my goatee.  I think this is enough of a transformation for right now.  I'm just glad I finally mustered the courage to make some physical changes that were long overdue.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:20:53 PM by Lew »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »
Looks good!  O0

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 05:50:53 PM »
Looks really good! I'm still getting mine done in less than two weeks.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 06:59:34 PM »
For all the flack we give hairpieces, the first picture looked good, I couldn't detect it...But the second picture with the earrings, the goatee and the shaved head suits you well!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 07:13:11 PM »
pretty remarkable transformation!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 08:12:06 PM »
Looks good, Lew. What size did you end up getting?

Quite a transformation.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 11:06:19 PM »
Fantastic, you must feel like you rule the world