Author Topic: WHERE were U during 9-11-01?  (Read 12715 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: WHERE were U during 9-11-01?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 10:48:18 PM »
much smaller.  i sometimes sit back and wonder...which was worse...9/11 or the JFK Shooting
BOTH :(

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline don

• Sly
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 10:51:15 PM »
I think I mentioned this in the past but I'm a 9/11 survivor.I was at the scene when it happened.Luckily I ran and didn't stick around to see the buildings come down.It will always be a horrible nightmare for me.I'm still in therapy as I have lost all intiative to travel. In the beginning I couldn't even have sex as I was so dead and numb inside.I'm retired now and live the simple life and that's the way I want it.Yet there are still people who love to travel and for the life of me I can't understand why.I wish I could turn back the clock to when I was a kid.It was a better world back then.People are worse than animals today.I hope those bastards rot in hell for what they did.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 10:56:37 PM »
Glad to hear you made it out ok.  I could not imagine being a person standing there when all of that happened.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 11:00:31 PM »
hey don:  i'm glad that U were able 2 survive & share your story with us.  hope things get better 4 ya each & everyday.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 11:19:57 PM »
I will never forget where I was. I was the Manager of Quality Assurance for Computer Associates and had just finished packing my bag and loading it into my car as I was scheduled to fly to Long Island from Sarasota, FL that afternoon for a week of meetings at CA HQ in Islandia.

I turned on the radio and I heard someone talking about a plane crashing into the WTC so I went back inside my house and turned on CNN. Well of course I witnessed the rest of that tragic day unfold right there.

Needless to say I did not go to Long Island for another week. Additionally I had a cruise to the Bahamas scheduled for the 10th of October.
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 12:02:25 AM »
I was an ower/operator of my own truck, and I had just woken up in Alturas California........I turned on the radio and heard it as it happened......I was glued to the radio all the way to Portland Oregon.  I arrived at Portland that evening, and turned on my TV. and watched the news........I cried that night.....Will never forget it.

You were in my neck of the woods...well, near where I grew up in Redding.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 12:08:33 AM »
I was here in Chicago doing my medical residency and post-call after being up all night working on the very busy oncology floor at the hospital.  We were rounding on all of the patients, room by room, and I would always turn off the TV set at each patient's bedside while we examined/evaluated them.  

I was soooo tired, but I remember seeing a smoking building on every screen right before I switched it off.  It just didn't register to me.  

Then, when I saw a group of 25 people huddled around the small TV in the waiting area down the hall, I started to pay attention.    But, the patient care came first.  It was so hard to concentrate on work.   After the Towers started to fall, and news of the other plane crashes broke, things went up for grabs.  

We were told that the Sears Tower was potential target, and downtown Chicago was being evacuated.   All hospitals were put on alert, and everyone in our hospital was designated "on-call" for disaster duty.  It was a very gut-wrenching day, and when we were allowed to go home from the hospital that evening, instead of going home to sleep, I stayed up all night (after already being up 36 hours) watching all of the live coverage.

I was incredibly fatigued, but totally compelled to watch in horror.   It seemed like every hour brought new stories...new pictures...new video...of the most tragic event I'd ever seen.

It remains, to this day, my most incomprehensibly horrific memory.  

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 12:11:51 AM »
I was in a rental car driving past the Air Force base in San Antonio, TX.  As I was driving by 8 fighter jets took off right above my car.  I remember thinking "they must be having an exercise."  Well, 5 min later when I got to Time Warner Cable I entered the lobby of the office to find the entire staff packed around the wall of TVs.  Someone told me that a plane had just struck the WTC.  Not but a min later we saw the second plane hit. 

I will never forget that entire week of my life.  I was away from most of my friends and family and stranded in TX due to the grounding of the jets.  I'll never forget the way people treated each other that week.  It was one of the most amazing things to me as it proved that deep down people really are good.  All differences were set aside and for that week it seemed like people understood what life was about.  Even at the airport when I finally was able to get a flight home, I had to wait 5 hours in the security line.  Yet, people weren't yelling, or getting pissed off - they were dealing with it and helping everyone out. 

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 02:26:26 AM »
I was getting off work when the news hit. At first we all thought it had to be some mistake. An accident. By the time I got in my car another had hit! It was obvious then it was no accident. What a terrible day. The next few weeks we walked around in a daze. I remember a few nights after 9/11 the power in the neighborhood went out totally. Some young kids went outside and started lighting off fireworks. They got their asses bitched out on the street by a neighbor. Everyone was tense. No-one wanted any suprises especially not loud bangs in the dark. 
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 03:49:51 AM »
much smaller.  i sometimes sit back and wonder...which was worse...9/11 or the JFK Shooting

I remember them both.....I was in the 7th grade in school when a fellow student came running in saying the President had been shot....school shut down... and I was working in my office when it came over the radio about the World Trade Center and later the Pentagon etc.....Both events were pretty chilling..
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 03:51:25 AM by Brkeatr »

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 05:20:03 AM »
I was at work at the JHU Applied Physics Laboratory in Columbia, Maryland. I heard a woman that works down stairs come into our office and tell the woman in the cube across from me that two planes had hit the twin towers in NY. I thought I heard wrong..... I knew right away that it was an attack.
I immediately called home and had my wife turn on the news....she hadn't heard yet. I asked what she saw and she began crying.

I went down the hall to where we have some conference rooms with TVs. The rooms were packed wityh people watching. As we watched, one of the towers fell. Many in the room began weeping uncontrollably while everyone else was just stunned.

Then news of the other planes going down came. Our facility is very large and about 40 miles from the Pentagon. We are a Space and Defense contractor so a lot of people were scared that we might get attacked. Many people rushed out of the buildings and headed home.

A man named Ron Vauk, an employee at our facility, was killed at the Pentagon attack.

I stayed until the middle of the afternoon and just watched news non-stop. When I finally headed home I remember the very eerie feeling of not seeing a plane in the sky (we are not far from BWI airport).
When I went home I held my wife and son for hours and wept. I called my Mom and wept with her on the phone.

Shenksville Pa. is only a couple hours west of where I live. I've always wanted to go there to pay my respects but I cannot bring myself to do it.

On a positive note I remember driving to work the next day and seeing all the signs of Patriotism every where. Flags and messages in people's yards, on over passes...everywhere. I remember there being a full size pick up truck next to me on the road to work. He had mounted a huge American flag in the truck bed and it was flying briskly in the breeze as he drove. I looked over at him and gave him the thumbs up.... he yelled to me "f**k them bastards! We ARE America!" It gave me chills.

Even to write this post is very difficult.................
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 06:19:46 AM »

On a positive note I remember driving to work the next day and seeing all the signs of Patriotism every where. Flags and messages in people's yards, on over passes...everywhere. I remember there being a full size pick up truck next to me on the road to work. He had mounted a huge American flag in the truck bed and it was flying briskly in the breeze as he drove. I looked over at him and gave him the thumbs up.... he yelled to me "f**k them bastards! We ARE America!" It gave me chills.

Even to write this post is very difficult.................

Amazing to see the patriotism in this country after that.  If anyone had wondered what it was like to be an American, if they didnt catch it during that time....they  never will.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 06:25:43 AM »
I was working in the home office. The Lovely Mrs. Schro had turned on the TV and shouted for me to come upstairs. I thought something was wrong with her. I just sat there and watched the TV in shock and amazement. Outside of me, the real estate group I work for is all based in Manhattan. Not knowing NYC geography all that well, I thought that our entire group had perished. I was finally able to get ahold of them to find out everyone was fine, but we did lose several work colleagues, which is nothing compared to the husbands, wifes, mothers, fathers, friends and children that were unjustly taken from the US.

Tragic.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 06:47:00 AM by schro »

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 06:32:40 AM »

....Not knowing NYC geography all that well, I thought that our entire group had perished.

Holy Crap

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 06:36:58 AM »
Quote from: schro link=topic=7204.msg123137#msg123137 date=12206 [/b
[/

Holy Crap

Didn't that old guy on Everybody Loves Raymond always say that??.....LOL