Author Topic: How to not look like a white supremacist while keeping your head shaved  (Read 14681 times)

Offline CustomGlocks20

• Learning the way of Sly
Hello all!

I came across this forum when I was looking for better ways to shave my head without irritation and came across the "headblade ATX" on this forum. I'm hoping that solves one of my issues (nifty little invention huh! I thought it was a joke at first lol).

My name is Gary and I live in a Suburb of Detroit, USA.

I am 27 and recently started shaving my head because I'm prematurely balding so bad It's not even funny. I also look pretty young (younger then 27 apparently) because I regularly get carded buying things that require people to be 18 (like welding gases, tobacco, paint...That's a weird one?).  I also work in one of the worst parts of the former murder capital Detroit and I'm white. When your white, Shave your head, and work in Detroit it can be a lot harder for you then if you had hair hair or worked in a safer area. I get called racist, other expletives, pig is a popular one...People seem to think I'm a police officer on occasion because I carry a gun because of the location of my profession. It's a very dangerous area

How can you pull of the bald look?

The only suggestions I have received was to wear a fedora (not my thing).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:37:12 AM by CustomGlocks20 »

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
can't wait to see the responses you get here.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Wear a wig when in that area. Just kidding!

If this in fact true, which I doubt, it's not the white guy with a shaved head that should change. It's the narrow minded people living in the past that need to grow up.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
Wearing a fedora is not the answer. You will look like a detective, Kojack wore a fedora.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline CustomGlocks20

Wear a wig when in that area. Just kidding!

If this in fact true, which I doubt, it's not the white guy with a shaved head that should change. It's the narrow minded people living in the past that need to grow up.

Walk around Detroit yourself and see what people say.

Why would I make that up? It makes no sense....I assume you have never been in the ghetto before?

Offline CustomGlocks20

Wearing a fedora is not the answer. You will look like a detective, Kojack wore a fedora.

I don't know who that is. That detective from the first 48?

Hats don't seem to work either, It looks strange to wear a hat when you are bald

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Welcome, Gary!

As someone who has various relatives in various parts of Detroit, I've seen racial tensions on both sides, and it's sad all the way around. The calendar may read 2017, but in many parts of this country-and world-we are still living like it's 1967. That said, I have a couple of questions for you

1. Do you have any facial hair?, If not can you at least grow a mustache or goatee? I know some of the forum is going to disagree, but to me, facial hair navigates attention away from a shaved head

2. Do you razor shave or just buzz it down? If you keep it short no-guard for the moment until you get used to it, it will give you time to adjust

3. Who's giving you a hard time, outsiders or your family or both?

4. How long have you been shaving?

One more piece of advice...You may want to wear a hat if you're outside for an extended period, a shaved head isn't for everyone, but a sunburned head isn't for anyone. Stick around, bud, and feel free to PM me if you need further encouragement. Best of luck to you.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline CustomGlocks20

Yes, Unfortunately in Detroit there is a lot of racial tension between everyone. Even in the suburbs of Detroit like Dearborn. It's very sad it's like that still

1. I'll try facial hair, Good suggestion. I just find it easier to shave it all then try to not shave my beard while I'm shaving my head in the shower.

2. I use a razor because I'm trying to keep where my hairline is hidden because I'm sort of self conscious about that

3. Mostly just people in passing, Because I work in Detroit I often will go grocery shopping, do my banking, get dog food, ect. All because everything is within a few blocks and It's easy to make a single trip. I've been pumping gas and had crackheads say things, older women in the grocery store calling me racial slurs, and real thugs call me "12" and pig, and other words for police officers. I don't get this where I live, I occasionally will get people asking me why I shave my head because I'm so young and I will just straight up tell them I'm prematurely balding, Even though I don't like people bringing it up.

Thank you for the advice! I'll try growing my facial hair a bit and see how it looks/feels
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:59:39 PM by CustomGlocks20 »

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
I have never gotten that type of response with my shaved head, but I also have never been to Detroit.  But is the response any different from before you shaved it?  It may have nothing to do with the shaving.
SlyBeard

Offline Montana

• Sly Jr.
  • Get busy living
    • Life Inside Jack
Maybe wear brighter colors and stop wearing the Doc Martins.
---
Love. Joy. Hope. Peace. Freedom.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Most people say things out of fear or because of pre-judgement. I found that if you smile more often and at people that are likely to think you are something that you aren't, it could change their perception of you very quickly.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
Leave Detroit?
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Most people say things out of fear or because of pre-judgement. I found that if you smile more often and at people that are likely to think you are something that you aren't, it could change their perception of you very quickly.
true that!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau

This is so true , a smile can make all the difference .  Put an unsmiling look on your face then see how people treat you. Then again walking around  Detroit looking like an easy take , may not be your best choice , never been there.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy

This is so true , a smile can make all the difference .  Put an unsmiling look on your face then see how people treat you. Then again walking around  Detroit looking like an easy take , may not be your best choice , never been there.
Also, stay clear from Civil War reenactments.   >:D

Enter your email address: