Author Topic: Not sure sly is right for me...  (Read 5159 times)

Offline kebas239

• Learning the way of Sly
Not sure sly is right for me...
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:11:17 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, but not completely new to having a shaved head. I've went sly a handful of times in my life. In the past 3 years, I noticed a large amount of hair loss (Age 31). There is still some growth, but my hairline is butchered and the top is about half it's original density. I grew it out quite a bit in the hope that I wasn't too far gone to try out a long hairstyle. Tonight, however, I decided that I was fed up seeing my scalp through my hair and trying to cover up the hairline. I shaved it clean.

Afterwards, I looked in the mirror and immediately regretted my decision. I was drawn to the extra weight in my face, which I did not have when I shaved my head in the past. In addition, I heard some recent input from family members who told me that I have an odd shaped head. My sister was recently married and flat out said that she wouldn't allow me to shave my head because I was in the ceremony.

I've attached some pictures to this post including an older one in which I'm not bald, but pretty close. My question is whether the sly look is appropriate for me right now. Do you think it's an improvement over the photo with hair? For anyone encouraging me to keep it shaved, do you think I have enough coverage to hold out a bit longer, and that I should just wait until I've lost some weight before taking the final plunge? Please be honest as possible :)

Thanks!

Offline Sly14

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Not sure sly is right for me...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:15:23 AM »
Hi Kebas!

First of all, I don't see anything wrong with the shape of your head, it looks pretty normal to me, sometimes people tend to say these things just because they are used to see you with hair, don't worry about that.

Answering your question, considering the amount of hair you have I would go for the buzz cut if I were you, and I would go sly as time goes on. Long hair would be my last choice to be honest, but this is just a personal opinion and you should take whatever makes you feel better and more confident.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 05:28:24 AM »
Welcome, Kebas!

I know some people are going to disagree with me, and that's fine (that's part of being on a forum) but I think if you keep it buzzed or shaved, you definitely need to grow some facial hair. I'm assuming that your sister already had her wedding (congrats) and while no person should tell an adult how to wear his/her hair, but you were in the wedding and that being her special day, the attention should be on her and maybe she was afraid your shaved head would have detracted from that. Anyway, while the coverage with the long hair isn't that bad, the uneven hairline doesn't help things. I would first grow some facial hair to offset the shaved head or buzz. Best of luck to you.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 07:20:27 AM »
I agree with Harry.  Keep it buzzed or shaved, but let more facial hair grow in (more than stubble).
SlyBeard

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »
First of all, I can't see anything odd about the shape of your head.  Second, you do still have hair so as the others have said you have options a buzz works well and can be balanced with a beard which will make your face look thinner.  You have picked up a little weight since the old photo but you also look just fine now.  Do what makes you happy.

Offline Montana

• Sly Jr.
  • Get busy living
    • Life Inside Jack
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »
My $0.02 ... which today is half off.

Good health should always be your goal. Regardless if you have hair up there or not. Now, you don't have to look like The Rock or anything like that but proper weight, a good diet of real foods and some cardio is just good for you overall. A few minutes to take care of yourself each day and in no time at all you'll be on your way to a good health situation. I know this is true because 2 years ago I was 225# and heading up. Now, I'm 170# and holding strong.

All I did was this: No more sodas. Fresh meals that I make and SIT DOWN to eat properly. Meditation 5 - 7 minutes a day. Walk 1 mile briskly each day (takes just a few minutes) and Yoga with the ladies twice a week. No memberships, no strange voodoo diet in a box, no beeswax snacks ... just a decent diet and a little motion.

When you start to care for yourself, people begin to care about you.

Montana
---
Love. Joy. Hope. Peace. Freedom.

Offline kebas239

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »
Thank you for the advice everyone! I think I'll stick with a buzzcut through the summer and leave some length on top during the cooler months while I'm able to. I'm just not feeling the shaved look right now, but I really think it's because of the weight (I don't remember having an aversion to it when I was lighter).

To address your post Montana - I used to be a huge health nut, and in fact wanted to go into nutrition. I lost a substantial amount of weight around when I was 19. I kept it off for 10 years until depression, stress and the resulting overeating/lack of exercise came into play. I rapidly gained between 80-90 lbs, and am sitting around 255 right now. I'm still trying to dig myself out of all this and the hair loss didn't really help things.

I think my problem is that as I try to get back into a regimen, I attempt to pick up where I left off, but it's just not possible right now and ends in me giving up. I agree with you and need to take the steps, no matter how small, to make a change for the better. Getting into a pattern by starting with a modest amount of exercise and changes in diet should help. I might also consider the meditation, as you mentioned, to help with the anxiety and give me some time to wind down :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:19:38 PM by kebas239 »

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 01:28:18 AM »
Buzzed head looks good with the facial stubble... you could go shaved or buzzed.

Long hair.... NO.

:)