Author Topic: How bald before shaving?  (Read 6079 times)

Offline Hogarth G

• Learning the way of Sly
How bald before shaving?
« on: October 13, 2016, 12:22:43 PM »
Hello all/anyone,

Not sure if I'm doing this right or whether this will just hang around in the black ether. I tried to start a new topic but dont know where it went.

Anyway I have 'lurked' on the site on and off and thought I'd finally get involved. I have a fundamental question for one who is very slowly thinning in a MPB style, I first noticed about ten years ago (35 now) in a photo and when one of my friends mentioned he could see each individual hair on my head.

So I have since been conscious of this retreat and changed my hair style. Without being too long on this, I have attached some current pics below for reference as to whether now is the time to go a little further with the buzzing, I got married last summer and had what would look like normal hair but it was more strategic than legit, but since then felt like I lost my mojo and thinning progressed another stage (its may or may not have but that what it feels like). It does feel like a very slow regression though and I probably could keep dragging it out without others really thinking 'oh that guy is going bald' but I’m sick of thinking about it.

I notice a starting point on this is a short buzz, any thoughts or comments welcome.

Cheers

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: How bald before shaving?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 03:34:32 PM »
You can shave or buzz your head at anytime. Many of us here have full heads of hair, yet choose to be bald by choice. You could try a short buzz, but your balding will still show. If you shave it, the thinning areas will be gone, you will just be rocking a totally bald hairstyle.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 04:03:49 PM »
Welcome!

I think you should buzz it down some. The thick sides and back are making the top of your head stick out like a sore thumb....just my opinion. A nice 1' buzz all around should do the trick.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 05:27:14 PM »
There's no "standard" for when to buzz or shave, but in your post you mentioned something important: you are sick of thinking about your progression toward baldness.  If that's the case, it's time to take action and go for a buzz cut.  Try different lengths until you find one you are comfortable with so you can get back to living and not thinking about your hair.

If you go very short and decide you want to try shaving your head, do so and give some time for you, your wife, and friends to adjust to your new appearance.   Once you've experienced total baldness, it is very hard to let your hair grow back.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 07:43:58 PM »
There are a number of us guys on SBG who have not waiting for thinning hair before shaving our heads bald. We just do it because we like the look. You can shave your head at any time. Use any excuse or reasoning. It's a nice hairstyle.  You don't have to wait for anything. Just do it.

Offline Hogarth G

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 04:52:07 AM »
Hey all, thanks for the feedback. Yeah think I'll take it down all over, not quite ready for the full sly yet but think eventually that will be where I'm going. May take a few years though as it's taken me a long time to get to this stage.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 06:03:25 AM »
Good choice. I buzzed my head for about 1 year before shaving bald. Just gradually went shorter and shorter.  Along the way, you may wish to give shaving a try (like when on vacation or something).  I found that I really liked the smooth bald style over the buzz, but you don't know that until you give it a try. If you shave and decide you don't like it, you can be back to a #1 within a week. It does not take long to return to a buzz style.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 07:50:55 PM »
A buzz is a good first step.  Then you will find the itch to shave becomes overwhelming.  Then 30 day rule.
Roger

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 05:45:41 AM »
I had short buzz from 18 on, was not thinning, and in time shaved.  This was years ago before this was more common.  Comments sure but it was me. 

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 12:32:54 AM »
I would say go ahead and shave, and keep the beard!

Offline Hogarth G

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »
Thanks for your feedback, Ive buzzed it down now, always feels a relief, I had a tight buzz when I was younger for a while so not unfamiliar with it. Different motivation now. Definitely going to keep the beard though!

As a few of you have said I'll probably slowly take it shorter and shorter.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 10:17:50 AM »
Thanks for your feedback, Ive buzzed it down now, always feels a relief, I had a tight buzz when I was younger for a while so not unfamiliar with it. Different motivation now. Definitely going to keep the beard though!

As a few of you have said I'll probably slowly take it shorter and shorter.

Awesome... keep us up to date, and take photos!

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 07:57:17 AM »
I have similar issues with male pattern baldness. Its not quite as prominent as yours yet, but pretty darn close. I have trimmed my own hair for years with Oster Classic 76 barber shop trimmers and an array of attachments. I got sick of it this past saturday when i tried out a new trimmer and it ruined my hair cut. I have been fighting the inevitable for too long i think, as i started thinning at about 16, and i figured why not embrace the change rather than let everyone else start (if they haven't already) noticing the lack of hair that is taking over.

I took the plunge, and i like it so far. Theres a few times a day i feel i look stupid or i wonder how people will think of me, but what matters is if im happy and presentable. I feel a lot more dignified with a bald head rather than holding on to a has been head of hair that desperately is begging to be put in a coffin and laid to rest. Some of us just aren't meant to have hair i suppose.

As for the buzz option, ive had that off and on my whole life. As said, it doesnt hide thinning, it just shows you have thinning but cut your hair short, which unfortunately shows even more scalp. Theres something odd that happens here too because pretty much nobody wants to see scalp through hair, but if you go bald, its cool in most cases. Its a thing. Scalp is not a thing. Dont as me why, pop culture or something who knows.

I think im done with the Jason Statham 1 guard buzz... i think it looks somewhat unkept and a little clingy like someone still holding on to the past. Im on this forum because my reasoning says "just do it, make the move permanently, its inevitable that you'll be bald in a few years anyway." But my heart keeps saying "but what about - and what do girls think" and other excuses. Im here to get support and hopefully hype myself up the rest of the way into finalizing this decision and finding happiness in the new me. I really hope you can do the same!

Offline Nude Nut

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 09:40:22 AM »
I started buzzing my head years ago to a number 1 guard before I really had any signs of MPB. Then slowly I noticed the front starting to thin in the classic pattern. I would shave my head clean from time to time, but not consistently. Over the past few years the frontal part of my head has thinned a lot and looks bald. For about the past 3 years I have kept my head smooth continually, I looked at myself tonight and thought this is really the only way I recognize myself anymore. I was trying to imagine how I would look if I grew it out, but I know I couldn't stand the balding look too long. I have never worried too much about hair loss - I am happy enough being a bald guy, I sympathize with guys who have issues with their hair loss. I like being bald very much, and so might many who currently worry about their situation.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 09:21:14 AM »
So true!!! ^