Author Topic: Shaved head with hair transplant scars  (Read 7953 times)

Offline sjd07

• Learning the way of Sly
Shaved head with hair transplant scars
« on: August 10, 2016, 09:02:32 PM »
Just joined today,first off I want to thank the creators, moderators and members for this awesome site. I've seen nothing but encouragement and positivity for each other.

I've got scars on the back of my head and I'm looking for any advice that anyone would have in either getting rid of them or concealing them. I have tanned skin so I was thinking maybe permanent make up to match the scars a bit better to my skin type. Some kind of laser therapy or micro-dermabrasion? Kind've hoping some one that was in the same boat can share their experiences.

Thanks

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
Re: Shaved head with hair transplant scars
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 11:32:55 PM »
Had the same issue. Did scalp micro pigment from HIS Hair. Fantastic results on concealing HT scars. My avatar pic is me after a final session. Did the whole head but you don't have to.

Offline planeclothes

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 06:43:14 PM »
Are you talking about those little dots on the lower left of the picture? Honestly if I saw someone with that I'd have no idea what that was if you didn't say. I'd just sssume it was how the light was hitting your head? Don't think you have too much to worry about with it unless it's someplace else I'm not seeing.

Offline JSmith422

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 11:46:07 PM »
Just joined today,first off I want to thank the creators, moderators and members for this awesome site. I've seen nothing but encouragement and positivity for each other.

I've got scars on the back of my head and I'm looking for any advice that anyone would have in either getting rid of them or concealing them. I have tanned skin so I was thinking maybe permanent make up to match the scars a bit better to my skin type. Some kind of laser therapy or micro-dermabrasion? Kind've hoping some one that was in the same boat can share their experiences.

Thanks

This is actually my first post on this site (hope I'm doing this correctly), but like the OP, I want to thank everyone for the great information, positivity, and encouragement.  What a great resource.

SJD07, first of all, thanks for having the courage to post, I know it will help a number of other people facing similar issues.

Secondly, as others have mentioned, I know SMP or some form of permanent makeup has worked well for many people.  Depending on your situation, I wanted to throw out another possibility which I haven't seen people mention on here, and that is UV-B therapy.  This treatment is often used to repigment various skin issues such as vitiglio, stretch marks, various types of scars, etc. that have experienced pigment loss.

There are obviously pros and cons to any treatment, certain people may not be candidates at all, and every situation is unique, so you'll need to talk to your doctor. 

If you are curious, please let me know, I'm happy to tell you anything I can about it.  I had researched it extensively for some scars I had on my arms, but luckily after about three years, they just spontaneously repigmented all on their own so I never had to get it done.

I do have some questions for you, if you don't mind me asking....

1.) When was your transplant performed? 
2.) Who was your doctor?
3.) Is the only problem the color difference, or is there a texture difference as well?
4.) Have you exposed the dots to the sun?
5.) If so, do the dots tan at all, i.e. just not as darkly as the surrounding skin, or do they lack all pigment whatsoever?
6.) Do you know the punch size that was used?
7.) Do you know about how many dots there are?

For what its worth SMP might be easier in the long run than UV-B, but not everyone tolerates the ink (allergic reactions and such), or for whatever reason it doesn't work for them, so I wanted to make sure you knew this was an alternative as well.

Offline sjd07

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 04:38:12 PM »
Hey guys sorry for the late reply I haven't been on in a while!

I appreciate the comment planeclothes, those types of comments really mean a lot to someone that's facing anxiety about this situation like me.

JSmith, thanks for your encouragement I did want to post this cause I know photos like this aren't up a whole lot and I wanted people who are both looking at getting the procedure done and  those who have done it to have an idea of how it looks razor shaved.

So I'm definitely gonna look into the UV-B therapy, I've never heard of it but I'm intrigued to find out more. I prefer not to have to go down the smp route and if at all possible lessen the scar look instead. I pretty much just need a little colour in these scar for them to be unnoticeable.

I did this transplant in 2012, I was 23 years old with Rahal in Ottawa, Canada.

The texture isn't a whole lot different than the rest of my head there are some very slight bumps but pretty flat to the rest of my head. The colour is the absolute main thing that makes it noticeable.

I've never exposed these scars to the sun, I shaved my head in the winter and my hair grew back with two weeks.

I'm not sure of the punch size but these dots seem pretty small by comparing to other photos of FUE i've seen. I did 800 grafts so I'm not sure but I think one dot might represent more than one graft. I'm guessing about 200 dots or so but i have no clue. They don't take up much of my head.

I appreciate you taking the time to give me this advice. I'm lucky enough to still get by with long hair for now but I would have absolutely no issues with a shaved head at my age now. At 23 years old you kind of panic when you see your hairline receding. I'm looking to fix these scars now because you never know when the time will come to go permanent with the razor. I can't see myself holding on to thin hair regardless of scarring. The bald look just sets a man free.

Again sorry for the late reply if you have any more advice I'd love to here it, I'll be checking up here more frequently!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:40:14 PM by sjd07 »

Offline USP678

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 05:39:30 PM »
I had my scars resurfaced with a laser, three or four treatments and they are not noticeable at all...