Author Topic: Ordered some new de blades to try  (Read 7485 times)

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Ordered some new de blades to try
« on: June 28, 2016, 06:04:40 PM »
Just ordered a pack of gillette silver blues and pack of gillette 7 o'clock black to try out after falling in love with the 7 o'clock yellow blades.  I ordered through west coast shaving and joined their mailing list so they also are sending me two packs of Astra super platinums which I also am very excited to try out.

That's all, I'm just excited to try new blades haha

Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Online reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Ordered some new de blades to try
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 08:28:29 PM »
Let us know how they work for you.

I just started a new 100 pack of Astras, and after using 6 blades, I don't think they are working as good as usual. Is it possible to get a bad batch? I'm going to look for some Feathers.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:28:35 AM by reddog »
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 07:33:56 AM »
I have worked on several assembly and packaging lines and can confidently tell you that no matter how streamlined your process, fancy and modern your equipment, diligent and attentive your staff... Some minor issues will occasionally occur and slip through the cracks so with something being produced in such a high quantity as the Astra blades I fully expect a few duds to come out.  That goes for any blade.  Or any industrial manufactured good, darn you Henry!  Totally joking!

Anyway,  I did recently try the feather hi stainless black pack around the same time I tried the gillette 7 o clock yellows and had the exact same result as all the reviews of those two I've read.  The feathers cut super close and smooth but I also shed the most blood of any head shave so far.  The gillette 7 o'clock yellows gave the exact same closeness and smoothness of shave but with only one tiny nick.  As I mentioned above I love the 7 o clock yellows so much I decided to try the silver blues and 7 o clock blacks.  I would suggest the 7 o clock yellows over the feathers any day. Half the price, same smooth shave, and I keep all my skin!

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 07:58:35 PM »
Great shave with the Astra sp today! Looking forward to tomorrow's.  Also, new 37c will be in next week.

Offline drew847

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 11:07:46 PM »
I've tried 'em all, Astra's are the best blade no matter what razor for me. It has the sharpness of a Feather but smoother with less bite. Shark Super Chrome's are my second choice.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 05:44:23 AM »
The astras seem like a great workhorse so far. The, for me, have been the most balanced blade between sharpness and comfort.  The dorco 301s are more comfortable and less sharp while the silver blues are more sharp and less comfortable.  I'm starting to narrow it down to these three since they have been performing consistently the best for me

Offline drew847

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 08:41:37 PM »
Yes, well put. Astra's are definitely the most balanced blade out there in my opinion. Everything else was either irritating, dull, or both.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 12:42:20 PM »
Astra sp gets good reviews

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 04:23:31 PM »
I'm still getting great shaves with the astras. The silver blues give me a better shave 70% and a worse shave 30% of the time vs the astra sp's. I just got a pack of crystals (Israeli personna/"IP") I'm going to try today as well as a pack of gillette nacet to try soon.  Most reviews out both of those in a similar category as the astra and gsb. 

Also on a side note: the combo of cold water shave, slant razor, and only doing two xtg (middle out then outside in) have been giving me much better shaves then ever before.  This has really helped me see and feel a difference in blades and lathers.  Before I just assumed all blades and lathers were equal however I've quickly realized that is just a cop-out for poor technique

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 02:08:23 AM »
Cold water shave? Is that good then?

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 03:51:06 AM »
It numbs your face so you don't feel the pain.  >:D
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 05:37:53 AM »
The cold water thing is interesting. I've shaved my head and face off and on for many years (I haven't shaved my head in a few weeks, I know I know) but with my face and head shape I need to have hair somewhere or I look like a 27yr old 200lb baby haha.  I shaved my beard off which means I let my head hair go for a little bit but I'll switch and go back to sly and beard after summer.  Anyway, back to the cold water...

So when I was a lot younger and uneducated on proper shaving I would use twin blade disposables and cheap gel with cold water and a two pass shave pre shower. I stopped shaving entirely for a few years due to occasional ingrowns and irritation then found traditional wet shaving and followed what everyone says... Shave post shower, hot water, pre shave oil, post shave balm, aloe... Blah blah blah.  I was, for the longest time, get terrible shaves using a traditional wet shave method and almost gave up again.  To try and make an already long story shorter I went back to using cold water, shave pre shower, two pass (no atg), no oil (clogged my pores terribly), good cream or soap (currently la toja or proraso), and simple post shave regimen or witch hazel and an alcohol based AS. Most guys hate the drying of witch hazel plus alcohol based AS however I have oily pimple prone skin so if I use an actual moisturizer or balm it's whitehead city two hours later. 

When you shave with cold water the shave itself seems rough the first few times however the post shave skin feel is excellent! With hot water I'd have a another actual shave but aweful irritation all day.  You very quickly become used to the feeling of cold water and realize it's not more rough then hot, it's just a different feel.  I love in florida, I'm a bigger guy, I sweat a lot... I'll take cold water shaves and no neck/head irritation for the rest of my day vs covering myself with hot water while already being uncomfortably warm then having an itchy bumpy neck all day.  Cold water, for me, for ever

Online reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 08:33:09 AM »
I just completed my first cold water headshave. I can see using cold water if you have irritation issues.

I had to make some extra passes with my DE razor. Some areas I couldn't get smooth, such as the slight crease at the base of the skull in the back. The rest of my head is pretty good, but definitely not as smooth as usual.

Not a bad shave, and my dome is super shiny without anything added. I'll stick to my usual hot shave, but good to know about the cold water alternative.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 11:40:34 AM »
Might be worth a try as i have been suffering from spots on the head and my routine has had nothing changed too!

Enter your email address: